Playback Dual ISO Images

Started by brapodam, January 23, 2014, 11:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brapodam

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's caused by a certain setting, but whenever I view a dual ISO image in playback mode, the image is just a blurry mess. It goes back to normal if I zoom in, but at the normal playback size, the image will first appear normal for about half a second (apart from the bars of alternate ISOs), then become a blurry mess (a small black box with containing either "dark" or "bright" shows up as well, and I assume it's showing which parts would be used from the dark and bright areas respectively - or something like that). Sometimes I am able to see the dual ISO images normally (without the blurring effect), but I cannot reproduce that outcome.

How do I view the dual ISO images "normally"? I don't mind having the bars of alternate ISOs, but having the blurry images makes previewing the images almost useless. Since I do see the non-blurry preview for half a second + the image isn't blurry if I zoom in, there has to be a way that the preview can stay non-blurry, right?

a1ex

I found it helpful to dial picture style sharpness down to 0.

At some zoom levels, the downsampling factor hits the sweet spot and you can get a fairly good image (so just try them all).

brapodam

My picture style sharpness is already 0 though.

As I said before, the issue is not there when I zoom in (or out, for that matter). But at the default image preview/playback size (fullscreen image), the image will display perfectly for about half a second before becoming blurry. That happens when the box at the top left corner of the screen pops out, showing either "dark" or "bright"

a1ex

It means the heuristic in dual_iso.c (isoless_playback_fix) is broken (you can delete it and see if it improves anything, or think at something more robust).

engardeknave

brapodam

I'll just wait till it gets fixed in the official nightlies; I'm a bit lazy to go and compile myself now. Unless dual_iso.c is supposed to be found on my camera, in which case I don't have it.

I'm more interested in keeping up with the developments with the current investigation on ISO, even though I don't understand most of the technical parts of it.

Marsu42