what do you all think about the lytro?

Started by scrax, November 09, 2012, 09:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

https://www.lytro.com/

What's your opinion about that camera? I'm not talking about porting ML  :P
but what's the purpose', for having digital focusable pic? Macro maybe could be interesting...
I think i can't understand it well...
Are printable?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

halbmoki

I find it very interesting and have been reading about it from the first theoretical model to the final product. Still, I don't think it's comparable to "regular" cameras or even usable for regular photography at this time. Focusing in post-production has some potential, but as long as the resolution and image quality aren't massively improved, I don't see it being a real alternative. Call me old-fashioned, but I really don't know what I'd do with this thing and can't do with my trusty 50D. Setting the focus in diagonal planes like with a view camera could be interesting, but I don't think that's possible with the current software. It's also possible with a tilt-shift-lens, but having a much easier way to do it would be cool.
Anyway, if this kind of sensor is ever built into a DSLR (or similar camera) and has enough resolution for a 30x45cm print at 300dpi, I'll try it for sure. But for now it just looks like a new toy for rich kids, not something a professional might use.

scrax

I'm agree (30x45@300dpi is mandatory), some googlin about lightfield camera revealed me that there are way to take 4D lightfield pic with regular 2D camera (DSLR).
But the problem is the resolution, since sensor pixel are recording not only one focus plane but more.
This problem is minor using bigger sized sensor like digital back or scanner (but only for steady object)...
Since from a normal camera basically there is just a filter before the sensor I suppose that any focus plane modification will be digitally made. So I'll prefer to do it on desktop.
I think that in future we will see some DSLR with lightfield sensor.
So far for macro it's still better a focus merge

Here a company that produces 7Megapixel lightfield camera for industrial and scientific applications: http://www.raytrix.de/index.php/Cameras.html
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-