50D RAW install guide

Started by fillman86, January 22, 2014, 02:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillman86

Updated installation instructions here.

ayshih

Quote from: fillman86 on January 22, 2014, 02:01:40 PM
2) Then take the modified files from http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.0 and put them in their respective locations (".DS_Store" and "autoexec.bin" in the root directory, then place the "MODULES" folder and the other ".DS_Store" file from there too  into the "ML" folder) (unlike other guides, the MODILES folder don't exist), now for simplicity's sake, in the "ML" folder, make a new folder called "scripts" for no reason (it will make booting faster because the camera looks for it)

It sounds like you are installing a significantly older modification of Magic Lantern.  Using nightly build for the 50D will smooth out some of the parts of your guide (e.g., issues with the "scripts" folder), and more importantly, the nightly build will likely perform better than the version you are running.  You should update to the nightly build unless you have a specific reason not to.  After you have completed your step 1, make sure to delete *everything* before you copy over the files from the nightly build (which contains the whole directory structure, including the "modules" and the "scripts" folders).
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

fillman86

I'm planing to do that at some point, but that's what is on the stickied post, plus, this is a guide for beginners, and nightlys are said to be less stable?

but if you want me to edit it, then I can. But can this be edited too then? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.0

ayshih

First, that thread is (now) in the forum for Tragic Lantern, which is a more experimental and possibly more unsafe fork of Magic Lantern.  The Magic Lantern nightly builds for the 50D are pretty stable and full-featured (including RAW recording), so I encourage you to stick with them rather than immediately going to more experimental builds.

Second, the first post in that thread hasn't been updated to reflect the progress since June 2013, so you're effectively using an outdated version of Tragic Lantern, which seems like an especially bad idea.  If you wish to continue using Tragic Lantern, you can find the most recent Tragic Lantern builds linked near the end of that thread.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

fillman86

This is posted in the tragic lantern section, so that's not relevant, I'll write a separate one for nightlys and post it in the "raw video" or "nightlys" section then.

And that's the thread that's stickied, I'm using nightlys now anyway, but there was a lot that wasn't exactly explained for me, so I'm making it easier for new people.

lionelp

That is very nice of you thank you.
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s