[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chewe

Hi Buzzz57, the camera has the same issue with or without ML, that's why i got installed MLU, so i could try to debug on canon tasks what was going on... Yesterday i put the main pcb after desoldering metallic parts on a bath of ultrasounds, and later resoldered all parts and put it back to the camera. Oddly enough the buffer grow from 2 shots to 4 shots that never were written on the CF. Today i've wake up, and wandering if it would become again on 2 shots buffer or 4.... it STARTED SHOOTING and WRITING!!!! Yuhuuuu!!! Well... at least for 10 minuts, then it became stucked again to4 shots buffer.

So i presum it has to be some "cracked" solder on main pcb.... my last shot is going to be a heat air gun reflow session technique....

Anyway, while the camera was working i checked for a moment MLU -> Show tasks -> Canon Tasks... and there were three yellow tasks! not one... Can you confirm this point on your camera? It was "CsMgrd" and another two that i had no time to write down on my excitement...

Cheers!

a1ex

The yellow tasks only show memory usage a bit above average, no big deal.

Maybe it's worth getting some diagnostic log messages from the camera. The recommended way is dm-spy, but it's a bit tricky to use (low-level hacks inside). Trying to call dumpf should be easier, but logs may be incomplete.

When it gets stuck, does it react to any key presses?

I'd try this:

in don't click me:

void run_test()
{
    msleep(10000); // pause 10 seconds, enough to take a few pics
    call("dumpf");  // save Canon's diagnostic log
}

Chewe

Wow! Thanks A1ex

When it gets stuck, everything goes perfect, it's like the "busy" as if i was shooting a long burst and waiting to get the photos dumped from the buffer to card. So camera reacts accordingly, menu, ML menu, etc... except that when i press play it says busy, althought i can get back to menu again. The problem is that it doesn't let me shoot any other photo, and the ones on buffer doesn't get to card... The only way to fix it is to unplug the battery and plug it again.

Oddly enough i've been playing again, and the buffer has come to 8 shots (same RAW option as 4 and 2 ¿?¿?!!!) althought none are written on the card... seems that i'm coming close to fix the cracked solder...

Anyway it really interest me the way you say to go dm-spy... althought i've got no idea what you mean (really bad newbie python programmer...)

How could i get a log out of the camera? with the same beta4?

pd: I've gone through card benchmark again and that's what says (it stops on 4 phase)
Write speed (buffer 128k): 4.1MB/s
Read speed (buffer 128k): 4.6MB/s
Write speed (buffer 16384k): 9.5MB/s
read test skipped: buffer=16777216   <-- ??

pd2: So I should compile an autoexec.bin with the code you wrote in "don't click me" class... but i don't find how to on windows... any chance you could pm the autoexec?

daydan

Hi there!
thank your for your project i'm going to upload my firmware but i just want to if its still possible to reinstall the canon 1.1.1 version just in case?
thank u

daniel

Chewe

Hi daydan!

Yep, as it states on the first post from couts it's the same process to install it than to uninstall it. As a fact, changing the bootflag to update firmware to ML or to uninstall it takes just a 5 secs maximun as you actually only modify this bootflag byte on the camera, so it can "dualboot" from your camera canon's firmware and the ML firmware your CF Card.

As a fact, i would like to say, that at least on this ML for 5D Classic, i actually booted with another CF card which didn't had the ML autoexec.bin without any problem... Althought is NOT recomended.

0xAF

Quote from: Chewe on February 07, 2013, 04:21:52 PM
pd2: So I should compile an autoexec.bin with the code you wrote in "don't click me" class... but i don't find how to on windows... any chance you could pm the autoexec?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xxgrbytppf3xk3/autoexec.bin

I did not tested it (camera not with me ATM), but should do what you need.
// AF

daydan

Ok thank you ! i just installed it and its really cool how you can switch from one another.
Its working good.
Not sure about the Exposure Adjust its strange how it affect the file even shooting in RAW, it behaves as a jpg.
When i push the printer button (blue led) the mirror lock up reactivates automatically. It try to unselect it but it reactivates when pushing this button.
Well, great job, you give 5d a better life :)
Just waiting for the day when you could implement video capture and liveview :)
thank u, i ll follow the next updates!

daniel

scrax

Quote from: daydan on February 07, 2013, 11:05:30 PM
Just waiting for the day when you could implement video capture and liveview :)
This will be really hard, I hope for focus trap and focus patterns ;)

Exposure Adjust is just a "quick preview" of how the image could be after being edited in post, it does nothing to the file on the card, just change exposure on the image on screen.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Buzzz57

Quote from: scrax on February 07, 2013, 11:09:20 PMExposure Adjust is just a "quick preview" of how the image could be after being edited in post, it does nothing to the file on the card, just change exposure on the image on screen.
It seems there is a display bug associated with this function. I'll look in the forum if it has already been reported.

Chewe

Thanks 0xAF, A1ex!!!

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B-9-aKPeKkfxZGp1RWpFSW5uNVk/edit?usp=sharing

i've tried both ways... there are three logs... with a lot of errors. I suspect that maybe there are some errors that can help me debug the parts of the boards affected.

by the way, on benchmarking card, how it behaves to other members of the board? everyone with the same results as me with unfinished 4th phase?

0xAF

Quote from: Chewe on February 07, 2013, 11:42:54 PM
Thanks 0xAF, A1ex!!!

So now, just wondering how should i proceed after booting with new autoexec.bin on card...

1) Take Pictures until buffer fulls, and then, while on busy mode, go to ML menu and execute -> don't click me
or
2) don't click me -> Take pictures -> wait for dump

How big should i expect the file from a dumpf? how much time aprox to write it?
by the way, on benchmarking card, how it behaves to other members of the board? everyone with the same results as me with unfinished 4th phase?

I dont know how should you proceed, just do few experiments and read the log. Try to find what's wrong from the log.
The log  will be few tenths of kilobytes i think... but cant remember exactly.
Writing it to the card should take no more than 2-3 seconds i believe.

btw forgot to say:
when you click the "dont' click me" it will wait 10 seconds (as Alex suggested), then it should beep to indicate the starting of the log dump, then beep again when it finishes. Basically you should hear 2 beeps.

// AF

Chewe

Thx 0xAF

Just checking the logs... found some odd entrys like err=03, err=25

Canon Error Codes Bibliography -> http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8194.0

Unfortunately no references about this errors... could you share a log of yours?

0xAF

Quote from: Chewe on February 08, 2013, 12:10:03 AM
Unfortunately no references about this errors... could you share a log of yours?

I do not have the camera with me ATM, but I'm sure there should be no errors on a working camera.
// AF

cyh6662002

sandisk

Alex, thankyou for your time in developing.
Sold my Canon 5Dc. Now enjoying my 5D2 with liveview and Magic Lantern. INCREDIBLE !

vscd

No, we shouldn't. We use the 5DC because we know why...

davespider

I've just started looking at ML for the 5Dc.  Adds some really nice functionality.  Has anyone gotten tethering to work with the ML version?  I haven't been able to.

Great work....

Sukram

Hello together,

can someone of the developers give a statement of what they are working on now and what´s the progress? Would be great to know.

Thanx a lot and happy easter,

Markus.

Boudro

What a great way to polish up the old goat.  I love the photos out of this thing, now it is easier to use.  Thanks

0xAF

Hi.
I'm currently busy with other projects @ my job. No work is done for 5Dc from me ATM.
I have plans to return to 5Dc, but cant say when. Hopefully in the summer.
The progress in ML is far from this port now and there is a lot to be done.
The porting of the boot method is almost finished, but still has some problems.
Once it's done I guess the port will be easier to be maintained.

I do not know of other dev working on 5Dc ATM. Please feel free to take over.
Here is my work on porting the boot method (cache-hacks): https://bitbucket.org/0xAF/magic-lantern-5dc-port-wip
If anyone is interested, please contact me and i will explain in depths where i got stuck.

If you want to use ML on 5Dc please use the latest beta4 from Alex. It is stable for daily usage. My wife is happily using it on my 5D for long time now.
// AF

chase.priya

I know this topic is on the shelf at the moment, but would still like to try Beta 4.
I have a Canon 5DC with v1.1.1 firmware.
I have unzipped to the root directly of my compact flash and gone through the update process on the camera.
The first time I ran it I got a blinking blue light. No matter how many times I run the update process, I only get the blinking blue light.
Am I doing anything wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks for all of your hard work!

Quote from: walta on October 22, 2012, 10:28:44 PM
The instructions aren't too clear.

On your first install you need to do the firmware update with the file named "5dc.111.card bootable.fir" in the root of the card
This makes your card bootable
next you have to do the firmware update with the "5dc.111.ML install.fir" file (as well as all the other ones needed for ML)
This installs the ML bootflag.

There is no message that it was successful. The blue light should come on steady - like the instructions say. Then you have to remove the battery to re-boot the camera.

Blinking light means something wasn't installed properly.

I'm not sure what the camera does if you do the upgrade firmware process with 2 fir files in the root of the card.
after copying all the files over there, I made sure there was only 1 fir file each time when I did the firmware upgrade process and it worked for me.

Found this in the thread which helped perfectly!

walta

Canon 5Dc and 400D

gregwhitephoto

Thanks for doing this!  I notice that when I format my card in my 5D, it erases the ML stuff as well, so I have to re-upload the files to my card each time.  Is this how it works?  I also use Magic Lantern on my 5DII and can format in camera, so I worry I'll be constantly erasing my ML install on my 5D cards. 

0xAF

Quote from: gregwhitephoto on April 23, 2013, 05:33:41 AM
Thanks for doing this!  I notice that when I format my card in my 5D, it erases the ML stuff as well, so I have to re-upload the files to my card each time.  Is this how it works?  I also use Magic Lantern on my 5DII and can format in camera, so I worry I'll be constantly erasing my ML install on my 5D cards.

Yes on 5DC format is erasing all stuff on the card. This may change in future, but no guarantees.
Better use "Erase All" when you want to empty your card.
// AF

coutts

Quote from: 0xAF on April 23, 2013, 09:55:06 AM
Yes on 5DC format is erasing all stuff on the card. This may change in future, but no guarantees.
Better use "Erase All" when you want to empty your card.

i've had some close calls with that erase all option while in the field, careful ;)