[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: 0xAF on February 17, 2015, 07:32:27 PM
I never tried to start the camera w/o autoexec.bin.
This could be the problem? The camera is old enough, that it could not turn on w/o the autoexec.bin and bootflag enabled (though I doubt it).

All cameras will lock up if you delete autoexec.bin from the card.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install?&#uninstalling_magic_lantern

0xAF

That's weird.
From what I remember from 400D, you can delete the autoexec.bin and the camera boots it's Original Firmware w/o problems. But I could be wrong.
// AF

fogerist

Hi,

Yesterday I bought an 5D classic and I would read the shutter actuation number if possible.
Earlier, I had magic lantern on 50D, and I remember that has shutter count function.
This ML vesrion for 5D classic is suitable for reading the shutter count?

kikislater

No way to get this information with ML or any other software ...
Only Canon could give shutter count of 5D classic

ssepan

I just want to shoot a Thanks to the developers. I recently bought a used 5Dc and put beta 4 on it today. All your efforts are still paying off for people. :D 8)
6D | 5Dc | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 40mm f/2.8 | EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF  75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF 50mm f/2.5 macro

dreez

Problem Installing:
1) i have the canon eos 5dc
2) i triple check the firmware and i install it twice: it is the v111
3) i format the cf card from camera
4) i use windows xp to unzip thew mg.zip to the root of the cf card
5) i insert it to the camera in manual mode, go to the menu->firmware update
6) the blue light starts to blink!!
7) i close camera, remove battery and back again
8) i do the same steps but the blue light starts blinking again!!!!
I cannot install the software. What am i doing wrong?

walta

Some people (including me) had trouble and went back to the old method of using EOScard to make the camera boot from the card. Not sure why but heres a post from an earlier user that had that problem

Quote from: organicphoto on July 31, 2014, 05:36:28 PM
I followed the instructions but instead of the solid blue light I get a flashing blue light. Any suggestions? I reformatted and did it over again but got the same result.

===================================================
I had the same problem. Only blue blinking light. I solved it by doing this;
-Format card
-Extract the ML files on the card
-Download EOScard and set the bootflag there
-Delete bootable.fir file from card
-Run the firmware update from the camera. 

Canon 5Dc and 400D

mfcrockett

Does anybody have the Beta 3 as download?

I want to test the bulb ramping that was removed in the beta 4. I think i read about that. Hope that someone can help.

scottvinnicombe

Does the classic 5d firmware enable auto ISO?  :)

Cheers
Scott

walta

Canon 5Dc and 400D

johnnyrun

Hi all.
To devs: I would like to build 5DC binary from source code.
what is the branch/revision of the beta binary?

Is it possible  to build also from master or there are too many differences?
Yes, I understood it is unmaintained, but I would like to play with it.

Thanks

EDIT:
found it:

changeset:   4777:5760fa25cc5c
branch:      unified
summary:     Tag: ML-5Dc-Beta4

madebysander

Hello i have a problem with the advanced hdr on my 5dc. i shoot in M-mode and the camera will not go to bulb for the +30 sec exposures. it takes then 1/8000 till the 7 pics are taken.
did a full reinstall with firmware and magic lantern.
haven't got this problem before,
can anybody help me ?

best regards sander

Imled

I am into photography and I would buy one of those professional cameras. Nikon or Canon which is good for those who want to take landscape photos? Please, I want a camera that is cheap, images of great quality, aesthetics and landscape. Thanks

lkom

Hi there,

I am having trouble installing the firmware on my camera and hence was hoping for your help.
Whenever I try to update it, the error message "Update File can not be found" pops up.

Ive tried formatting the card in camera, as well as inside windows, redownloaded the ML firmware again, even tried the EOScard utility to make the card bootable - all with no success.
Is there anything else Ive missed?

The card used is an 8gb Transcend card. Unfortunately no other card is available at this moment.

wigyori

Hi,

I had this question on IRC - probably the wider audience can help here. I'm trying to forward-port the 5dc platform. Got a few of the source files to compile, but for some reason it looks like the stubs are not pulled in or get defined.

../../platform/5DC.111/gui.c:99:25: error: implicit declaration of function 'unknown_gui_function' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration] unknown_gui_function( MEM(0x1BD4), event->param );

The unknown_gui_function does exist in stubs.S. In the last working 5dc checkout (back from 2013) this and similar functions are not defined in any header file - so the question is that how are the functions in the stubs get declared?

Thanks,
-w-

a1ex

I'm looking for a ROM dump for QEMU experiments (mine is incomplete). You may get one from the Debug menu; please send it to me by PM.

If there is still interest, I can try to fix compilation on the latest codebase, then let you continue the port.

Side note: there is a small chance to get LiveView with the full-res silent pic backend, but the front-end functions are not present, so it will require some low-level research along these lines. But my gut feeling says it's doable.

But since this camera has a simpler codebase, this effort might pay off for more recent models as well.

@wigyori: the implicit declaration on this platform uses 32-bit integers for all parameters. So, in this case, you may get away with: void unknown_gui_function(int, int).

oscar

:(
I need serious help.
installed ML on my 5Dc. It started up fine with ML.

That was yeasterday. Today the 5D will not start-up even with another non ML CF card.
- when I press trash...nothing black screen
- when I press menu.... nothing black screen

top buttons work exept the LIGHT ?
- Looks like its bricked ????

a1ex

Can you run the display test?

So far, no other 5D user tried it, so we also need somebody with a good camera to confirm the test is actually working.

waelti_de

In Beta4 there is no point to dump ROM, is there a release which can do it?

Pharinen

Quote from: a1ex on October 11, 2016, 09:55:35 AM
Can you run the display test?

So far, no other 5D user tried it, so we also need somebody with a good camera to confirm the test is actually working.
I tried this, hopefully I did it correctly.  :)

ps. I think this message should be added to 1st post or make the instructions more clear for dummies like me.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1010.msg16120#msg16120

I'm always having problems with installing ML to my 5D(led just keeps blinking if I do it by 1st message instructions). That usually does the trick if anyone is having problems also.

mosaster

Hi, thanks for adding 5D classic support. Tried it today - a lot of nice features, but not the ones I need. Actually, I was looking for Dual ISO on 5D. Is it possible to have this feature on 5Dc? :)

kitor

Quote from: a1ex on September 28, 2016, 05:12:32 PM
I'm looking for a ROM dump for QEMU experiments (mine is incomplete). You may get one from the Debug menu; please send it to me by PM.
If there is still interest, I can try to fix compilation on the latest codebase, then let you continue the port.

My 5D2 recently meet the floor, and I'm using 5Dc since then. I can make dump if you still need it :)

Quote from: a1ex on September 28, 2016, 05:12:32 PM
Side note: there is a small chance to get LiveView with the full-res silent pic backend, but the front-end functions are not present, so it will require some low-level research along these

That would be interesting!
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Pharinen

Thought I would get the best answer here...

Not directly oriented towards development but I have wondered quite a while now if there is any down side of using ISO3200(H-setting) vs ISO1600 and boosting exposure 1 stop(I've found out that it is more close to +0.91 rather than full stop) in Lightroom?

I did my own tests and really couldn't find a any difference between two of them.

Maybe ISO3200 is very slighty more pleasing, tiny bit less chroma noise and finer grain, but I could be also making that up. I surely thought there is a difference in dynamic range in favor of ISO1600 but absolutely zero diffence. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I guess I start using H-setting from now on(didn't use extended ISOs before this).

I guess that DIGIC II is doing better job than my expensive computer processor and 10 years newer processing algorithms.  :D

ilia3101

@Pharien I used to have a 5Dc! Most favourite still camera I ever had.
As ISO h1 is just digitally boosted by the camera, I would say use 1600, because that will preserve some more highlight details. And your probably just imagining the quality difference :) could do a forensic test though

kitor

How to remove bootflag? When I run firmware update again (running Magic Lantern), it shows "Update file cannot be found", even when I unpack fresh copy of Magic Lantern files to this card.

When I used a new, fresh formatted card (so ML will not start), procedure worked - got "blue blinking light", but after inserting first card it booted again to ML...
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.