[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flydonkey

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 26, 2014, 01:36:19 AM
go to the first post.
Thankx,but I can not get the file at the download link in the first post ,and I don't know the reason.Could you do me a favor ?

walta

Quote from: flydonkey on March 26, 2014, 01:53:43 AM
Thankx,but I can not get the file at the download link in the first post ,and I don't know the reason.Could you do me a favor ?

http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-5Dc.111.Beta4.zip

Can you get it from here?

No disrespect intended but if you can't download a file you'll probably have trouble installing the ML software.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

flydonkey

Quote from: walta on March 26, 2014, 11:00:45 PM
http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-5Dc.111.Beta4.zip

Can you get it from here?

No disrespect intended but if you can't download a file you'll probably have trouble installing the ML software.
Thank you for your help,I can't download the file at the link-http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-5Dc.111.Beta4.zip,I don't know the reason,maybe my Net has been limited, Your know ,I live in China----a magical country ,So what I can say ?!

Could you do me a favor ?Please send the beta4.zip to my email : [email protected] ,thank you

flydonkey

Most Chinese people said,that the chinese network is a big Intranet with Firewall in fact. No facebook No Youtobe No twitter and No Freedom  8)

rhimes

The first post mentions that the 5d:
QuoteThe 5dc will work on the unified tree! Big thanks to A1ex for the help in making this happen.

Does this mean beta 4 is a fork of the unified tree back in 2012 or is there a unified tree version somewhere back that includes the 5dc?

I've just picked up a used 5D classic today and trying to figure out where to start.

walta

Quote from: rhimes on March 28, 2014, 06:18:49 AM
The first post mentions that the 5d:
Does this mean beta 4 is a fork of the unified tree back in 2012 or is there a unified tree version somewhere back that includes the 5dc?

I've just picked up a used 5D classic today and trying to figure out where to start.

There is no developer maintaining this software any more. So I'm not sure if there's anyone around to answer your question. My interpretation of that statement is that it "could" have gone in to the unified tree. However, I think it was abandoned while still in BETA and therefore never went in to the unified tree. 

However, on a cautionary note, this is an unmaintained, BETA software package. If you read back thru this thread a number of people (including myself) have experienced problems with the last version. One of the symptoms is that you lose your menus and therefore can't even update the firmware to uninstall the ML bootflag.

I value my camera too  much to take a chance at continuing to use this software - especially when there's no one around to help in case I have problems.

Note that all of the above is just my opinion. Others may differ.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

frank007

www.linkdelight.com - Affordable Photographic equipment and accessory!

organicphoto

I followed the instructions but instead of the solid blue light I get a flashing blue light. Any suggestions? I reformatted and did it over again but got the same result.

walta

Quote from: organicphoto on July 31, 2014, 05:36:28 PM
I followed the instructions but instead of the solid blue light I get a flashing blue light. Any suggestions? I reformatted and did it over again but got the same result.

From the instructions

7.) Launch the firmware update process. If you see any red led, then something went wrong. A solid blue led means that the bootdisk is now enabled. A blinking blue led means the bootdisk is now disabled (if you want to completely uninstall ML). Each time you run the firmware update it just toggles the bootdisk to the opposite of whatever it is currently.

Blinking means the bootflag is disabled. I would suggest just launching the firmware update process again (without re-formatting).

Having said that if you look back thru this thread you'll see a number of people having problems installing it in the past year. I'm not sure why that is, I installed it and uninstalled it a number of times but since the developers have abandoned it I have uninstalled it for good.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

hudwa

Just want to bump this thread and restate what many have said and I'm sure still feel: Thank you guys SO MUCH for your hard work on this! Even though development has stopped on ML for the 5Dc, the work done thus far is amazing, and really really helpful to me personally and professionally.

And with that said, I'll do the selfish thing and make a request: Auto ISO, if possible for the 5Dc, would breath new life into this machine for me. I shoot lots of indoor speaker events with poor lighting and can't afford fast lenses. The only hope I have is to set the aperture as wide as possible, set the shutter speed to at least 100 and hope that Lightroom can deal with the noise that comes with using super high ISOs. Auto ISO, used on the 60D and Kiss X2 I use at work, allows me to not worry about noise or getting the right exposure thus leading to a higher percentage of usable shots. To have that functionality on my only full-frame body would seriously increase the quality of my photos and my percentage of keepers.

So here's one more photog pleading with our hard-working, demigod-like developers: if you have the time and interest, please get auto ISO on the 5Dc!
My gear: 5Dc | 20D | EOS M | EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD | EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

amatour

Quote from: organicphoto on July 31, 2014, 05:36:28 PM
I had the same problem. Only blue blinking light. I solved it by doing this;
-Format card
-Extract the ML files on the card
-Download EOScard and set the bootflag there
-Delete bootable.fir file from card
-Run the firmware update from the camera.

Obviously if you want to uninstall you need to copy back the bootflag.fir file.

Question- During bracketing, can I keep the mirror up? so that it doesnt close and open between frames?

Great job. It makes the old 5d a whole different camera. Outstanding.

vagabondvisions

I'll reiterate the thanks others have left for the devs in getting creaky old 5DIs a few more features.  One thing I was curious about is whether this can be used to determine shutter counts on the camera.  Elsewhere I had read that it was supported on other models but couldn't seem to find anything on the 5DI I have here.

FroggySeven

Does ML for 5Dc support focus stacking ?

I know I could install it , and see it by myself...

but beta version seems a bit risky, and it's my only motivation to install ML...

thanks !

walta

From Page 1

* Complete feature list:
   - zebras, focus peaking, spotmeter, histogram, waveform, vectorscope (in playback mode)
   - exposure bracketing: shutter, ISO, flash; 2x0.5 ... 9x5EV; auto mode (covers the entire dynamic range).
   - DOF bracketing (changes aperture and shutter while keeping exposure constant)
   - Intervalometer
   - Mirror lockup (shortcut key, or link to self-timer)
   - Flash exposure compensation (-10...+3EV) - not tested
   - Flash / no flash (like in fuji 6500) - not tested
   - Display saturation (grayscale/normal/oversaturated)
   - Fast zoom (one click goes to 100%, like on 5D3/1Dx)
   - Quick erase (like on 5D3)
   - "Ken Rockwell" zoom (press Zoom In after you took a picture, without pressing PLAY)
   - Exposure adjustment in playback mode (very rough)
   - Timelapse playback - http://vimeo.com/48482815
   - In-camera help (press INFO)
   - Benchmark (check read/write speed of the card)
   - Display operating system internals (tasks, free memory)

Canon 5Dc and 400D

0xAF

If you want to deactivate the hack, just delete or rename the autoexec.bin file ...
It's not a good idea to reflash the original firmware again, since you're already running the very same firmware...
It's not a good idea to deactivate the bootflag and activate it all the time, either.
Just rename or remove the autoexec.bin, or format your cf card and the hack will be gone.
// AF

keikun007

any chances the 5dc will receive any more love from the devs?

0xAF

I was supposed to continue the port long time ago.
Sorry to disappoint, but it wont receive attention from me, at least anytime soon.

I haven't took a photo for almost 2 years. You can guess how much time for hacking I have :(
Besides the camera is VxWorks based and ML is for DryOS cameras mostly, not that it's impossible to port some of the goodies, but 5Dc wont have much of ML anyway.
I'm not sure how much interest receives this camera either.

If I have the time for ML (which I dream of), I would probably move to some newer camera, thought they are already full of goodies (most of them).
// AF

0xAF

but beta version seems a bit risky, and it's my only motivation to install ML...

Just to clarify this a bit.
The version is beta, since it never came to fully ported ML.
But what's in there (thanks to Alex and Coutts) works as expected and AFAIK there are no reports of any brick by this hack.
And to say the truth, I do not see how can this hack damage your camera.

I have it installed from the moment it was released.
It is true that I do not take photos with the camera, but my wife shoots with it at least once per week and it takes few hours of shooting a photo session in studio.
I believe it's something like 150-200 photos per session (week)

So far the camera works as it should.
// AF

walta

Actually, there were a couple of posts (including one from me) where the menu's go blank. Had to take the batteries out and format the card before the camera would work again. Had my heart in my throat.

After it happened the second time I removed it.
Canon 5Dc and 400D

0xAF

As I said, I do not know of bricks and I do not see a way of bricking the camera with the hack.
// AF

walta

Well, I wouldn't call it a brick. That would be if I had to throw the camera away. It just makes it un-usable until you can get the ML uninstalled.

It seemed to be similar to the problem eduperez had with the 400plus hack for the XtI - where there was something going wrong under certain conditions when it was writing to the LCD screen. He had to back out a bunch of changes before it work properly display the menus. And we've seen nothing new since.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

0xAF

It was a different problem there, not like what you've experienced, though I never had problems with 5Dc.
Anyway, the point is that you can use the hack relatively safe. In case of a problem (like your's, though I suppose there were more factors for this), you can always replace/format the CF card.
// AF

walta

Heres my post and another from back in Sept 2013

Quote from: Pharinen on September 14, 2013, 06:02:46 PM
For some reason I'm not able to get ML running on my 5Dc again.

I had it couple of months with any issues but I accidently formatted the card in camera yesterday.

I have tried dozens of times to get it running, but I always just get blinking blue light.

And yes, I have tried this already: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1010.msg16120#msg16120

I am having the same problem. I tried to re-install the version on the first page of this thread and got the blinking blue light. I used both methods (having both .fir files and then having only one). Neither way worked. In the end my camera ended up being locked up - no LCD screen and can't actuate the shutter.

I formatted the card, tried to run the bootflag file a number of times nothing. I was starting to sweat. Finally took all batteries out for 5+ minutes and camera works fine.

In the past I've been able to install Beta 4 that I downloaded earlier (last year) and they worked fine. Maybe theres something different in the one on this thread now. Anyway I'm not attempting an install again until it gets out of BETA.

Walt

Canon 5Dc and 400D

0xAF

I guess it wont get out of beta.
Anyway, from what you described, it seems that the camera (software) really is locked up, and you had to pull out the batteries to reset it.
I wonder what could be the reason for that.
I don't think there are different hardware versions of this camera, but who knows. This could be the reason.

Can you try enabling the bootflag, then put the autoexec.bin (i'm using the same from the first post) and see if it works with it?
I never tried to start the camera w/o autoexec.bin.
This could be the problem? The camera is old enough, that it could not turn on w/o the autoexec.bin and bootflag enabled (though I doubt it).
Never tried to start the camera w/o the autoexec.bin, but if this is the problem, then the disabling of the hack should be done with turning of the bootflag, instead of formating the card (as I suggested earlier).

This is just out of curiosity, you dont have to try this if you are worried about the camera.

BTW, Alex or other dev could have more info on this.
// AF

walta

Canon 5Dc and 400D