[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walta

Quote from: iggy2 on September 29, 2012, 09:51:39 AM
5DC with serial number 133080xxxx doesn't work. Long RED at startup.
Waiting for new versions.
Thanks!

New version won't help. According to the instructions long red means something didn't work right - either enabling the bootflag or making the card bootable.

I would try installing again making sure you have the right firmware version to start with.

Walt

Canon 5Dc and 400D

a1ex

Good news for you :)

I've got a 5D classic for a week or two, and took a quick glance at this ML port.

Current status:
Working:
- auto bracketing, intervalometer
- zebra, focus peaking (huge help for this tiny screen!), spotmeter, histogram, waveform
- fast zoom in playback mode, quick erase (well... not quite perfect, but almost there)
- card and focus peaking benchmarks (5Dc's ARM processor is twice as slow as 5D3's)
- custom color palette for ML

Not working:
- RGB tools, bulb, trap focus, AF patterns (very hard or impossible)
- AF options, MLU (easy to fix, just takes time)

You can compile it yourself (it's quite easy these days) or ask Coutts to prepare a nice zip for you.

I'm having trouble with the internet connection, so I'll be offline for a couple of days.

coutts

great news!!! beta 3 released (first page updated)

ilguercio

Focus peaking is for review only, right?
???
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

nanomad

No, at least not on the other magic lantern cameras   :o
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

ilguercio

Quote from: nanomad on October 02, 2012, 04:34:11 PM
No, at least not on the other magic lantern cameras   :o
But since 5Dc isn't capable of LV i guess that's just enabled in while reviewing pictures.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

a1ex

Yes, here's only for image review.

Beta 3 might lock-up when pressing buttons too quickly (was visible in stability tests, not noticed in normal usage). Fixed in source tree.

MLU also working now (press direct print to toggle it). Other than that... recent changes contain fine-tuning stuff (e.g. smaller fonts are more readable now). See the changesets for full details.

With these additions, I now feel almost as confortable with 5Dc as with the 5D2/5D3. Except for LiveView :)

whumber

Quote from: hibolta on September 25, 2012, 11:54:45 PM
hello, and thank you for your work Coutts.
I tried to flash the beta 2 but the 5Dc tells me "update file can not be found. PLease check the memory card and reload the battery and try again" 

do you know why ?

Edit : it is now working, I have a SN beginning with a 1. Thanks Coutts!

I'm getting the same message; how did you fix it?

Edit: Figured it out.  I decrypted all of the files and then moved them out of the subdirectories.  Not sure which change, or both, made the difference though.

walta

Quote from: whumber on October 02, 2012, 09:26:24 PM
I'm getting the same message; how did you fix it?

Edit: Figured it out.  I decrypted all of the files and then moved them out of the subdirectories.  Not sure which change, or both, made the difference though.

Everything thats in the "5dc.ml23.beta3" folder needs to be unzipped and copied into the root of your CF card.

From the instructions: 5.) Download the zip file from the link below, unzip all of the files to your CF card.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

a1ex

Yes, Coutts needs to be more careful when creating the zip ;)

More changes for beta 4:
- overriding GUI task no longer has side effects => no more random lockups at startup :)
- minor tweaks/fixes

vstrglv

What about downgrade to v.1.0.9 and install ML2.3? Does it work on new 5D (with s/n more than 09xxxxxxxx)?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

jplxpto

Quote from: a1ex on October 03, 2012, 10:27:09 AM
Yes, Coutts needs to be more careful when creating the zip ;)

More changes for beta 4:
- overriding GUI task no longer has side effects => no more random lockups at startup :)
- minor tweaks/fixes

You don't stop ... :)

a1ex

More cool stuff:
- RGB tools (zebra, histogram, spotmeter, also vectorscope)
- Top scrollwheel decoded => easier menu navigation :)

Andreas.Titze

Sorry for beeing greedy ...

What about the Shutter Count Display?

Thanks for all the hard work

Andreas

vballmoc

I don't care about Shutter Count that much. I don't think, many will invest in a new shutter anyway. So, we use the baby until it dies... which I hope, is still a long time to go.
But:

what about AUTO ISO?

Would still be the absolute Killer function in my eyes! Is there hope?
Thanks for the great work.
Cheers,
Christoph

a1ex

Canon metering is totally unreliable in my experience, so I gave up using auto exposure. Good auto ISO can be done in LiveView, based on histogram.

More cool stuff:
- saturation adjustment (including focus peaking with grayscale image)
- timelapse playback
- exposure adjustment in playback mode (extremely rough, but you can raise the shadows a tiny bit)

Pixel format seems to similar to Y411 (6-byte macroblock containing 4 pixels: vyyyuy).

Enjoy, see you next week.

walta

OK, so where is Beta 4 for us to enjoy?
Canon 5Dc and 400D

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

walta

Quote from: nanomad on October 04, 2012, 09:22:39 PM
Be patient  ::)

Alex posted that we could compile it ourselves if we wanted - I just wondered if newer downloads with source are stored in a different place than page 1 of this thread.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

nanomad

jplxpto

At this rate, in a few days, Alex gets to know every detail of 5DC. They already seem very intimate :)

Great job Alex ... You are unstoppable ... You are another of my heroes! :)

ilguercio

So ML will have 3, maybe 4 new cameras in the next official build.
It looks like it's going to be a happy Christmas.
:P
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

nanomad

This demonstrates how well thought DryOS and ML are...find a few consts and stubs here and there and you're almost good to go

jplxpto

I had never before thought to be part of the team but,
a few days after meeting site, I started reading many posts of the CHDK and ML forums.

One day I saw the outcome of the next election for cameras to be supported and I did not like.
The 40D was not on the list and I really wanted to test the ML in my camera.
I unfortunately only saw the ML in photographs and videos.
I hope to test the ML in my camera before Christmas. Already missing little time but I have not lost hope.
For now I have learned a lot and enjoyed myself a bit.

The staff of the forum seems to me five stars.

;)