Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

fufuheo

Thank you nanomad and dmillgan! That was awesome!
1100D, EOSM, EF-M 18-55 IS STM EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 II USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

hapacek

I have latest nightly build and writing me "FONTS.DAT NOT FOUND". Any help?

dmilligan

read this thread starting at reply #914

hapacek

Audionut

Looks like another camera got dual_iso.  Nice work dmilligan.

andreadoore

What is the max temperature to operate safely? I reach 68°C, the colour was red and I think it was too much, so I turn off. Any suggestions?

47Crows

I just finished testing today's build. It's stable enough, but almost none of the new features work.

• ETTR just brings the EV down to -5 (more like ETTL, am i right? :D), but it's nice to know it does something.
  • Silent pic is working alright (at least  single and sharpest), except for when it comes to viewing the .DNG files, either in-camera (with pic_view) or with Lightroom or Photoshop (using 2 different versions of Camera Raw). But if I remember correctly from older threads, these can be opened by other software? Point is, they can't be viewed using standard means.
  • dual_iso is dead ("Err"), but from what I've read, it is expected to run soon without any workarounds
  • On a side note, pic_view managed to open the .422 file generated by the screenshot feature.

Keep rocking, guys. Given enough time, I have faith you'll turn it into a 1D X.

Quote from: andreadoore on January 31, 2014, 08:04:18 PM
What is the max temperature to operate safely? I reach 68°C, the colour was red and I think it was too much, so I turn off. Any suggestions?
It should be alright; the camera will turn itself off when reaching critical temperature. (source: Canon's manual)

nanomad

Can you share a silent DNG? I fear the state transition that we target may not be the most correct one
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

47Crows

Quote from: nanomad on January 31, 2014, 08:58:58 PM
Can you share a silent DNG? I fear the state transition that we target may not be the most correct one

(Hopefully, it's not one of my cluttered desktop.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zmu0tf9xur0kpvt/98870091.DNG

EDIT: The fact alone that it's only 33 kB is something to ponder in case of a 14-bit DNG

nanomad

Ugh that's nasty..... I'll see if I can spot something weird

We got raw overlays in playback mode btw. Willing to hear feedback on how they work . Remember to enable review after shot or it won't work

nanomad

Of course, silent pics need raw LV ... which the 1100D hasn't ....

47Crows

Quote from: nanomad on January 31, 2014, 11:00:04 PM
We got raw overlays in playback mode btw. Willing to hear feedback on how they work . Remember to enable review after shot or it won't work
Haven't managed to enable the raw overlays in playback. Tried Canon's image review -> hold, tried ML's (already had set it like that, but it didn't hurt to try all permutations), neither would result in any RAW overlays. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, it's quite late here.
So I decided to see whether or not they're true RAW overlays in LV, by switching picture styles (cinestyle vs. a very high-contrast one) and the histogram definitely changed => not RAW. The zebras, I really can't tell, but they should work by the same principle.
Whatever should be RAW isn't on my end, or at least I can't make it work. They do, however, all state RAW RGB, if that's any help.

I kept toying with ETTR, set it to Always ON and it displayed this after taking an image without LV:

ETTR: next ISO 0 N/A (was ISO 0 N/A)

At least now it didn't affect my exposure for the worse.

nanomad

Did you compile ML yourself?

dmilligan

Quote from: 47Crows on February 01, 2014, 12:04:49 AM
Haven't managed to enable the raw overlays in playback. Tried Canon's image review -> hold, tried ML's (already had set it like that, but it didn't hurt to try all permutations), neither would result in any RAW overlays. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, it's quite late here.
The fix was committed to the repository minutes before you posted this message, so you need to wait for the next nightly build (IDK when this happens), or build yourself from source.

Many of the other things you report as not working I believe have something to do with the fact that many of these things have just reached the repository today, and so probably are not in the builds yet. ETTR and dual iso are working just fine for me, so I'd say you just need to wait a day and try again. I appreciate your eagerness to help though. You can always check the commit history and compare that to the hash or timestamp on the build.

Quote from: 47Crows on February 01, 2014, 12:04:49 AM
Whatever should be RAW isn't on my end, or at least I can't make it work. They do, however, all state RAW RGB, if that's any help.
There is no raw data available for LV. The histogram and zebras fall back to YUV data. It would probably be helpful if there was at least a warning about this in the menu, but this is expected behavior.

Audionut

You can also hit the "changelog" button on the nightly download page.  This will show you the latest commits in that build.

a1ex

Quote from: dmilligan on February 01, 2014, 03:49:17 AM
It would probably be helpful if there was at least a warning about this in the menu, but this is expected behavior.

I believe all you have to do is:
a) return 0 from can_use_raw_overlays_menu() on the LiveView photo branch if there's no CONFIG_RAW_LIVEVIEW.
b) add a meaningful message in menu_set_warning_raw (like raw is not working in LiveView on this camera).

This code will be used whenever there's something that requires raw support (assumming it calls menu_checkdep_raw from its MENU_UPDATE_FUNC).

nanomad

The warning is there. It even disables the whole ettr menu when in lv

a1ex

... we were not talking about ETTR ;)

nanomad

Oops I'll check dual iso too

47Crows

OK, I grabbed today's build and toyed with it. dual_iso works very well, silent returns a linking error (probably was to be expected, based on previous discussions), auto ETTR still does the -5 EV thing and that's about it. Still no overlays in PLAY, but I did notice it being mentioned in the Help tab of ML.

Now, let's shoot people in the snow with dual_iso!

nanomad

Can you upload a video of you using auto ettr and showing the -5EV bug?

47Crows

Quote from: nanomad on February 01, 2014, 11:29:52 AM
Can you upload a video of you using auto ettr and showing the -5EV bug?

I'm afraid I don't have another camera, nor a decent phone, but it literally just goes like this:

LiveView.
I enable AutoETTR from the ML menu, set it to double half-shutter click.
I double-press the shutter halfway.
Message "ETTR..." appears in the top-left corner.
Exposure goes way down (-5.0), everything is underexposed.
Message "Expo limits reached" appears in the top-left corner.
(I get sad and manually expose to the right.)

EDIT: sorry for the twisted neck it gave you guys, I did rotate it in youtube, but for some reason, that takes longer than the upload itself

nanomad

Can you upload a cr2 of your test scene?

edit: ETTR does not work in LV, even the menu item says so...

47Crows

Quote from: nanomad on February 01, 2014, 11:51:49 AM
Can you upload a cr2 of your test scene?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2r415t2zc3khdxc/pre+and+post+ETTR.zip

EDIT:
Quote from: nanomad on February 01, 2014, 11:51:49 AM
edit: ETTR does not work in LV, even the menu item says so...

Yeah, otherwise, in Always ON and Auto Snap it seems to be working just fine, when not in LV.
Strange thing now, every mode of ETTR pushes my exposure to +5 EV in LV.
Also, I see no warning about ETTR not working in LV. Bear in mind that I am using the precompiled nightly.