Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theEmoboy

Quote from: littlebobbytables on January 02, 2014, 09:24:03 PM
Hi,

I am very new but bery interested in magic lantern for my 1100d. I admire the work devs have done to enable these awesome features and I am forever gratefull. I really like the idea of recording raw video on these relatively cheap camera's and it is sad that it appears to be too locked out to do on this one. I did come across this chart that looks similar to the one on the raw section of the forum(perhaps a newer/older version) detailing what cameras do raw at what settings and in this chart the 1100d does appear to be working. (http://news.doddleme.com/equipment/magic-lantern-raw-how-canon-cameras-perform/)

I presume this was an error but I am crossing my fingers and hoping someone did manage to get it working somewhat. I would love to help out in any way I can. I don't know any of the C languages so that would be testing only. I read nanomad's posts here and it seems like development towards raw on this camera is pretty much dead, which honestly is sad but understandable. Is this the case?

Hi I am a beginer in the magic lantern scene as well but I believe that that was a mistake indeed. But lets keep our fingers crossed  ;)

theEmoboy

Hello,
I am quite the beginner in this but I have a question that I would greatly appreciate if someone would answer it. If I am not mistaken there is no manual exposure adjustment in the video mode. Would this ever be able to be changed? Is it possible that we one day may have a way to manually adjust exposure? An answer would be awesome.

PS I am willing to test any proto-builds so feel free to email me! :)

littlebobbytables

Quote from: theEmoboy on January 02, 2014, 11:12:03 PM
Hello,
I am quite the beginner in this but I have a question that I would greatly appreciate if someone would answer it. If I am not mistaken there is no manual exposure adjustment in the video mode. Would this ever be able to be changed? Is it possible that we one day may have a way to manually adjust exposure? An answer would be awesome.

PS I am willing to test any proto-builds so feel free to email me! :)

Hey there,
I'm pretty sure you can actually do so. What I did to accomplish this is to go to the ML menu, Expo tab, turn on Exp. Override and then changing the settings in the same tab. I hope this helps!
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

davicorn

Quote from: pauloup on January 01, 2014, 08:28:20 AM
It was really hard to install Magic Lantern in my Canon T3. So here we go:
- Download the last build from Oct 21: Download
- Unzip it into the memory card.

- Download the build from Sep 17: Download
- Extract only the file "ML/data/FONTS.DAT" to the folder "ML/data" of your memory card.

- Download the Magic Lantern firmware: Download
- Copy it into the memory card's root.

- Insert the memory card on your cam and turn it on. Update your firmware.

Magic Lantern should install with no problems!

Okay, I got ML installed on my 1100d. The fonts thing didn't really want to work, so I sprinkled the fonts.dat in multiple places. I think putting it in the root did the job though.

Before being able to install ML, you need to format your card (low level) through your camera, reset camera functions and reset custom func while your setting is set on manual.

Rest worked completely fine. Thanks for that.

Now some time to play with ML ~

theEmoboy

Quote from: littlebobbytables on January 02, 2014, 11:46:10 PM
Hey there,
I'm pretty sure you can actually do so. What I did to accomplish this is to go to the ML menu, Expo tab, turn on Exp. Override and then changing the settings in the same tab. I hope this helps!
Wow! Thanks! this changes alot! You sir have hade my day ;)

theEmoboy

Quote from: littlebobbytables on January 02, 2014, 11:46:10 PM
Hey there,
could you possibly explain it to me?
i cant seeem to figure it out  :'(

littlebobbytables

Quote from: theEmoboy on January 03, 2014, 07:59:38 PM
could you possibly explain it to me?
i cant seeem to figure it out  :'(

I will be making a video/tutorial explaining some basic stuff on ML on the 1100D in the near future.
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

theEmoboy

Wow thinks that would be great!
If you dont mind email me the link ;)

littlebobbytables

Quote from: theEmoboy on January 05, 2014, 06:15:28 PM
Wow thinks that would be great!
If you dont mind email me the link ;)

The audio sucks, man I wish I had another proper camera, but here it is: /watch?v=uQHNYSWI6qg
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

theEmoboy

Hey man thasnksss!!!  ;D it still is understandable and you showed me what i needed im leaving a like

Phaenomena

- Extract only the file "ML/data/FONTS.DAT" to the folder "ML/data" of your memory card.

So this must fix the problem of the text not displaying correctly, right?

starbase64

Hi,

ML for 1100D is dead?  :-[

regards

starbase64

littlebobbytables

Quote from: starbase64 on January 12, 2014, 02:05:55 AM
Hi,

ML for 1100D is dead?  :-[

regards

starbase64

I'm also quite interested in the current state of things regarding development. I hope nanomad sees this.
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

a1ex

It will be back soon, thanks to dmilligan.

littlebobbytables

Quote from: a1ex on January 12, 2014, 03:16:03 PM
Praise the lord for he has spoken!
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

Phaenomena

I just tested this, and I can confirm that it works. However, I ended up placing the FONTS.DAT into the card's root. It was not recognized in ML/data for some reason.

dmilligan

A much easier way to install ML for the first time is to simply

• Download the RC3 from the OP, and extract it to a clean (format in camera) SD card.
  • Run the firmware update procedure in the Canon menu, the ML fir will set the boot flag when you do this and you should get a green screen. Turn off camera and remove SD card.
  • Now update to the latest nightly by deleting all ML files on the card and replacing them with the most recent build.
No need to mess with fonts.dat.

Quote from: a1ex on January 12, 2014, 03:16:03 PM
When it comes back, I will need everyone's help to keep it maintained and up to date. I do not have time to test every feature, but if you submit good bug reports and do good testing, it should be easy for me to fix issues and keep this port up to date.

The 1100D port seems to be quite stable atm (I've been just compiling it myself). I haven't had a crash in months, and all of the features I use regularly work as expected. I'm not aware of any enabled feature that doesn't work as advertised, but I also don't use every feature regularly which is why I need your help testing.

littlebobbytables

Quote from: dmilligan on January 12, 2014, 10:30:58 PM
A much easier way to install ML for the first time is to simply

• Download the RC3 from the OP, and extract it to a clean (format in camera) SD card.
  • Run the firmware update procedure in the Canon menu, the ML fir will set the boot flag when you do this and you should get a green screen. Turn off camera and remove SD card.
  • Now update to the latest nightly by deleting all ML files on the card and replacing them with the most recent build.
No need to mess with fonts.dat.
When it comes back, I will need everyone's help to keep it maintained and up to date. I do not have time to test every feature, but if you submit good bug reports and do good testing, it should be easy for me to fix issues and keep this port up to date.

The 1100D port seems to be quite stable atm (I've been just compiling it myself). I haven't had a crash in months, and all of the features I use regularly work as expected. I'm not aware of any enabled feature that doesn't work as advertised, but I also don't use every feature regularly which is why I need your help testing.

confirmed tester
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

littlebobbytables

Made a video comparing base and higher bitrates: /watch?v=Pwhm1g3VQfA
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

starbase64

andreadoore

Hi guys. I am an user of your ML software on my 1100D from 1 year. I follow this forum often but I never writed into.

If it's possible I want to contribute in some way, subitting crash reports. Do you know how I can do that? Should I send any file to a mail address? Could anybody explain a procedure?

Thanks

dmilligan

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/

before submitting, please:

• check for duplicates
  • detail the exact steps to replicate the issue*
  • include logs/screenshots/video if applicable
  • include raw data files (.CR2 or .DNG) if applicable
  • include your magic.cfg
  • include build/version information
  • make sure it's actually a ML bug and not Canon (hold set on startup to boot to regular Canon firmware)
  • try the most recent build to see if the issue has already been resolved
  • try and isolate the issue to a specific build (try older builds to see if you can figure out exactly when the bug was introduced)
  • try different settings (ML and Canon) to determine the full scope of the bug (e.g. is it just in M or does it happen in Av and Tv too?)

*a bug can't be fixed unless it can be replicated, so a bug report is useless if you don't describe steps to replicate it.

cinco312

I'm interested in trying and testing this out. Just have a few questions. Is it possible to brick, break, ruin the device? Is the firmware reversible? If I wanted to go back to the original firmware? Also, how do you dl the latest builds? For every build it says "This build failed"

Walter Schulz

Quote from: cinco312 on January 16, 2014, 09:48:51 AMIs it possible to brick, break, ruin the device?
Top of page -> User Guide -> F.A.Q.

Quote from: cinco312 on January 16, 2014, 09:48:51 AM
Is the firmware reversible?
ML is *no* firmware!
The only change done to the camera is setting a bootflag and that is reversible but not for all cameras as of today.

If I wanted to go back to the original firmware?
Because it's no firmware but an additional software running on top of Canon's firmware: Yes

Also, how do you dl the latest builds? For every build it says "This build failed"

Read some of the last posts. And ML manual. And F.A.Q.

True-shot

Is there a way to lock the exposure in the video mode? I seem to have some issues with it changing dramatically, like its trying to capture the blown out highlights and under exposed shadows while filming. Also, it seems like the manual aperture doesn't want to work for video mode. If I set it to f22 (using the kit lens) I can hear it swivel in and out but it doesn't stay in f22.