Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzani

Hi there!

I would like to help with the development of ML for 1100D. I have set up the toolchain, cloned the repository and played around with basic modules. I have a lot of experience in C, much less in reverse engineering/camera hardware. Is there anything I can do?
Canon EOS 1100D

thn-d

Quote from: thn-d on August 30, 2013, 09:44:48 AM
Hi A1ex/Nanomad,
the first post looks weird since the forum got a new layout. It's screwed, look at the bullet points!  :o
Works again for me in IE, but still giant bullet points in FF. The page source looks unsuspicios, so I tend to believe the problem is on my side. Sorry!
Canon EOS 1100D   |   Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II   |   Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4,0-5,6 IS II

Panzani

Hi again!

I am trying to reactivate RAW stuff. First things first, so I've tried LV:

RAW_LV_EDMAC is 0xC0F26208

CAM_COLORMATRIX1 is
       6444,  10000, -904,  10000, -893, 10000, \
       -4563, 10000, 12308, 10000, 2535, 10000, \
       -903,  10000, 2016,  10000, 6728, 10000

dynamic_ranges is {1099, 1098, 1082, 1025, 965, 877, 784}

I have defined CONFIG_RAW_LIVEVIEW and a RAW histogram appears when I switch to LV. But LV freezes, the camera seems to take a picture and crashes with a nice Err 70 (assert 0 in evf). I am not quite sure to understand what is going on. Any ideas?

EDIT: And about Photo mode, I think we need a SSS_STATE (which should be easy to guess considering addresses of other cameras). How can I generate a state diagram from the firmware? And how do I use the interception code to find RAW_PHOTO_EDMAC?
Canon EOS 1100D

k10w

not perfect like a true ettr mode but I find uniWB in Av get similar results. Guess you could experiment with turning up EC+/- if shooting scenes where the correctly exposed pics histogram is shifted right (eg. predominantly/exclusively sky compositions at dawn).

YMMV but I found this works well enough for me as there is less bias and underexposure than vanilla WB (as far as raw goes obviously) since there is no RGB multipliers and histo clipping mirrors raw much closer than vanilla wb which is jpeg data made with multiplier values in the channels to generate a jpeg which often means good looking exposures are actually a stop under in cr2.

I only use timelapse for star stacking (dss and registax) so always in M never Av so no experience of how it may work out for long timelapse stuff on night to dawn/dusk transitions where obviously some semiauto exposure may be more useful but thought I'd mention it in case not tried that approach.

Joseriul

I can help you to test them
Canon Eos   T3/1100D Mark Free - EF-S 18-55 III - EF 75-300 II - EF 50mm f/1.8 II

FluidMovementMovies

Hi.
Is it possible to set the ISO to "auto" when you are in Exp. Override?
Thank you, and sorry for my bad english  :-\
Canon EOS 70D     |       Canon 18-55 EF f/4-5.6 II      |       Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM    |       Tokina 12-24 f/4           |          Canon 24-105 f/4

Fletch

Any idea how close we are to a stable build?
I have to say, it feels like the old 1100D has been forgotten  :-\

47Crows

Yeah, Nanomad's nightly site is no longer accessible, instead, a "unified" download center has been put in its place.
The archive is gone (good thing I kept all my nightlies on the PC) to some extent, and all the present builds have failed to compile.

Just pointing it out.

thn-d

Oh no, I hope it will be fixed. Please keep a working download link for the 1100D!   :(

Edit:
Latest build failed. As a workaround, navigate to http://builds.magiclantern.fm/ , select the 1100D and click on the "Show Older Builds" button.

Edit2: All listed older builds have failed, too, so Where is the last downloadable build?

Edit3: All builds fail after
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/1100D.105/workspace/modules/raw_rec'
Since raw_rec isn't supported for 1100D anyway, isn't it a problem that it enters that directory and tries to build there?
Canon EOS 1100D   |   Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II   |   Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4,0-5,6 IS II

thn-d

Here are the words of wisdom from the master himself (regarding why the 1100D builds fail):
Quote from: nanomad on September 10, 2013, 09:16:34 AM
The 1100D is undergoing work to support raw if possible. The builds will resume shortly
See reply #244 here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3072.225

Ebrahim Saadawi

I am a complete ignorant of anything concerning Magiclantern and everything discussed in this thread.
I just want to download Magiclantern on my 1100d for the intervalometer function (I live in Egypt  and can't find a physical intervalometer device so Magiclantern is my only chance of timelapse.)
So is there a version I can download that would work on my 1100d?

P.S: I am aware of the danger and know there isn't an official version for the 1100d.

47Crows

Quote from: Ebrahim Saadawi on September 13, 2013, 01:29:13 PM
So is there a version I can download that would work on my 1100d?

The nightly builds are on the first page (http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/). They work now.

However, since you've never had ML installed, you'll need to find a working .fir to "initialize" the first ML boot-up. (the .fir only tells the camera to search for the ML files from now on)
One can be found here http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/1100D/magiclantern-v2.3.1100D.RC3.zip.

So, in conclusion, get the files from the first link, extract the zip to the card (root directory) and copy the .fir file from the 2nd link into the root directory of the card.

Good luck!

Northernlight

If the 1100D has been abandoned it is sad :( - But please let us know.

I am hoping for auto-ETTR for the 1100D for timelapse usage..

47Crows

Quote from: Northernlight on September 13, 2013, 08:58:51 PM
If the 1100D has been abandoned it is sad :( - But please let us know.

Apparently Nanomad's at it again, he's trying to resurrect RAW video support for it, so, pretty much like punk, 1100D's NOT DEAD.

nanomad

Truth be told, I'm just helping out a new dev with it :)

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

47Crows

I'll have a drink in your honor then, kind sirs!

Yesterday I went to shoot a timelapse with FPS override and I was thinking: RAW video should be very much doable at low framerates, right? Because the camera has time to dump the buffer and the SD can receive it.

This feature should have an indicator embedded in the FPS override menu, which will tell you how much continuous time (frames AND real time in hh:mm:ss) you can record at the current framerate before the buffer gets full.

Just my 2p.

Offtopic, what ever happened to the 'scripts' tab? I found myself bored one day and I wanted to play sokoban, but then I remembered ever since 'modules' was implemented, the scripts were nowhere to be seen.

Ebrahim Saadawi

Quote from: 47Crows on September 13, 2013, 08:11:11 PM
The nightly builds are on the first page (http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/). They work now.

However, since you've never had ML installed, you'll need to find a working .fir to "initialize" the first ML boot-up. (the .fir only tells the camera to search for the ML files from now on)
One can be found here http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/1100D/magiclantern-v2.3.1100D.RC3.zip.

So, in conclusion, get the files from the first link, extract the zip to the card (root directory) and copy the .fir file from the 2nd link into the root directory of the card.

Good luck!

Thank you, Sir. Very helpful.
But I faced a strange problem when trying to copy the files to the root of the SD card. The card wouldn't let me copy anything onto it, and gives me a message saying "you don't have permission to perform this action".

I tried putting the SD card straight into the computer's card reader, and tried an external card reader, and also tried accessing the card through the USB cable with the card inside the camera.

I am using windows 7. Is there anything I can do to be able to copy the ML files to the card?

47Crows

Copying the files through a USB cable (with the card in the camera) will probably never work, since the PC uses certain protocols to communicate with the camera, which exclude strange file transfers.

As for copying the files via a card reader, make sure you don't have the LOCK switch enabled on the card, as it might distrupt file handling.

If this doesn't work either, try copying some normal files to and from the card (jpegs, MOVs).

If this still doesn't work, try formatting the card (I would suggest using SD Formatter if you've never formatted the card from Windows https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/).

It has to work at some point.

Ebrahim Saadawi

Quote from: 47Crows on September 14, 2013, 04:23:28 PM
Copying the files through a USB cable (with the card in the camera) will probably never work, since the PC uses certain protocols to communicate with the camera, which exclude strange file transfers.

As for copying the files via a card reader, make sure you don't have the LOCK switch enabled on the card, as it might distrupt file handling.

If this doesn't work either, try copying some normal files to and from the card (jpegs, MOVs).

If this still doesn't work, try formatting the card (I would suggest using SD Formatter if you've never formatted the card from Windows https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/).

It has to work at some point.

Thank you a lot. The SD formatter worked and I copied the files to the card.
Thank you again.

47Crows

Don't mention it brah, glad to help.

theSuda

I have been using ML on my 1100D from long time now. But I have used only few features of it which I use almost daily. Like custom focus point selection, trap focus, one click zoom etc. I must say it really helps me. Thanks a lot dev.

Now I was wondering about video features supported on 1100D. Is there a list of supported features for video? I have no idea about it so far but I would like to test and help reporting bugs if I can.

Thanks.

Ebrahim Saadawi

I just downloaded and started using ML on my new 1100D. I have one thing to say, THIS IS FREAKING BRILLIANT! It's almost too good to be true (not to mention free)!
I now have full manual control over video, ISO, Shutter speed and aperture. (which wasn't in my wildest dreams for the 1100d)
I can shoot at 24fps with framerate override and even do timelapse at less than 1 fps without wearing out the shutter.
HDR video is absolutely incredible.
Other small things like rack focus, magic zoom, histogram, peeking and zebras are very helpful and easy to use, just like on my old professional camcorders.
I just can't say how grateful I am to you guys at ML and I think you should start charging for this. It's only your right.

I'd be glad to help with funding or testing to help the development.

47Crows

Quick suggestion: can we get more customization on the keys? For instance, I could really use the flash button for any other function (say DOF preview).

Speaking of which, is there any way you can fix the conflicts between SET (C.Fn. as DOF preview) during Live View and the ML menu? Whenever I press the SET button, the camera goes into DOF preview mode and closes the ML menu. I'm just asking if it's possible, because it seems really weird, since this only affects Live View.

wauterboi

Hey there, I'm a curious guy, looked all over the internet to no avail, and didn't get a response in the IRC channel. Because of that, I feel that maybe I might have just enough justification to post here:

Is it possible to shoot 1080p with the T3 using Magic Lantern?

Consider me a silly dreamer or something - I was just wondering.

nanomad

No, the camera is lacking the encoder path for full HD
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5