Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siegbert

hi everybody,

i just found out about magic lantern, and it really seemes fantastic!

also spend a time reading the forums, but i still got a question.

I have a canon 1100d, and at the downloadpage i don't see a stable version for my camera.
I did find the nightly builds, but it says you already need to have a stable version running on your camera.

what should i do? try to install the stable version, which i doubt will work on my camera, and then install a nightly version? or am i overlooking something?

thanks in advance for the help.
siegbert

Joseriul

Quote from: siegbert on August 09, 2013, 06:50:31 PM
hi everybody,

i just found out about magic lantern, and it really seemes fantastic!

also spend a time reading the forums, but i still got a question.

I have a canon 1100d, and at the downloadpage i don't see a stable version for my camera.
I did find the nightly builds, but it says you already need to have a stable version running on your camera.

what should i do? try to install the stable version, which i doubt will work on my camera, and then install a nightly version? or am i overlooking something?

thanks in advance for the help.
siegbert

Friend, there is no stable at all build, but there are nightly builds, and you can find them here:
http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/archive/

And you need to have the .fir file in the sd too, u can extract it from older builds.

To install it
Make sure that u have the battery full
Put the .fir file in the sd
Put the last build files in the sd
And in your camera go to the menu, and click on firmware version, and click update
Wait a little, and there will be a screen with green words, read it and restart the camera
Canon Eos   T3/1100D Mark Free - EF-S 18-55 III - EF 75-300 II - EF 50mm f/1.8 II

47Crows

Quote from: Joseriul on August 09, 2013, 09:51:47 PM
And you need to have the .fir file in the sd too, u can extract it from older builds.

Or, you can just get it from here http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/1100D/magiclantern-v2.3.1100D.RC3.zip instead of looking through some 2 hundred builds.

yurii.shutkin

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install ML on my 1100D but having troubles with launching it.

Here is the sequence of steps I tried:
1. take 2GB sd card, format it in the camera in low-level mode
2. restore defaut setting in the camera
3. copy contents of nightly NEXT.2013Aug12 zip to the root of sd card, copy .fir file from 1100D.RC3 zip to the root of sd card
4. start camera with the sd card, turn it to M mode and go to software update section in menu, update it with the data from sd card, reboot camera
After this step firmware version in menu is changed to 1.05-NEXT.2013Aug12..., in quick control screen now I see ML footer that shows its version and header with current date. But pressing AV button doesn't pop up ML menu as described in the manual. It just switches to another control in the screen and back.

Am I doing wrong or forgot something? How can I investigate why ML menu doesn't appear?
Tried the same sequence with NEXT.2013Jul13 version - the same results.

I will be grateful for any help.

Upd: Problem solved, the thing was that I pressed av button too long. It should be short press instead. And now it works!

uniextra

hi, thank all for the work here! i just installed ML on my 1100d and works correctly, i instaled the 07/15 version that as i read was the most stable version.

I liked to know if ML has a function that a friend of mine has on his nikon to focus on a color, and then the picture is al in Black and White exept for that color... takes greate pictures that way.

Hope there is!
thanks!

47Crows

Quote from: uniextra on August 15, 2013, 09:11:06 AM
I liked to know if ML has a function that a friend of mine has on his nikon to focus on a color, and then the picture is al in Black and White exept for that color... takes greate pictures that way.

Hope there is!
thanks!

In the Overlay tab, look for Focus Peak. Press Q. You should have a few settings, some of which are what you specified (namely, grayscale image and color).

dak20

Joseriul

Canon Eos   T3/1100D Mark Free - EF-S 18-55 III - EF 75-300 II - EF 50mm f/1.8 II

dak20

It is will be in the future firmware?

nanomad

Not enough memory for anything useful. Sorry
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Joseriul

Quote from: nanomad on August 16, 2013, 01:18:36 PM
Not enough memory for anything useful. Sorry

Its possible to have silent DNG shot?

47Crows

Bug: I don't know for how much this has been an issue, but whenever I hold the EV button and scroll the dial (i.e. I change exposure), when I lift the finger from the EV button, it (the camera) automatically enters the ML menu, as if I'd just tapped the EV button. Now, I sort of understand the instructions behind the tap vs. hold, but I can swear I didn't have this problem until recently. It's as if after every click of the dial, ML registers a new press of the EV button.

Anyone remember of a time where changing EV didn't fly you into the ML menu?

47Crows

I have searched for this on other threads as well and I had no luck.
Is the option to record video of a zoomed area (5x, 10x) possible on our camera? (There has been suspicious activity around my house and I need zoomed footage on the individuals as soon as possible.)

(i.e.: you press zoom, the image gets zoomed, then you press record and instead of zooming back by itself, the camera records the zoomed view)

Thanks either way.

dmilligan

Quote from: 47Crows on August 23, 2013, 09:30:23 PM
I have searched for this on other threads as well and I had no luck.
Is the option to record video of a zoomed area (5x, 10x) possible on our camera? (There has been suspicious activity around my house and I need zoomed footage on the individuals as soon as possible.)

(i.e.: you press zoom, the image gets zoomed, then you press record and instead of zooming back by itself, the camera records the zoomed view)

Thanks either way.

Not possible on the T3 but most other cameras have this capability built in, so it's not something that ML has has much motivation to implement, and would probably require a lot of work. I think there's some possibility of doing zoom on raw video on other cameras, but raw on T3 does not stand much of a chance with the tiny buffer and slow card reader

47Crows

Quote from: dmilligan on August 23, 2013, 09:57:51 PM
Not possible on the T3 but most other cameras have this capability built in, so it's not something that ML has has much motivation to implement, and would probably require a lot of work. I think there's some possibility of doing zoom on raw video on other cameras, but raw on T3 does not stand much of a chance with the tiny buffer and slow card reader

I know about the RAW capabilities being totally 0, but I just want regular recording of the zoom window, even if it's just the LV frame buffer (720xsomething). Still a nope?

Then again, I'm not a part of the dev team and I probably won't be for the following 2 years while I polish my C skills.

dmilligan

If you don't care about it being clean you might get it to work with a tether or hdmi capture

hellfire90

Hi! I moved from a february nightly build to the 18th august one. Can anybody tell me why the silent picture option has disappeared? Also, has anybody fixed the bulb timer + intervalometer problem (exposure time back to 30s after first shot)  on the 1100D?

47Crows

Quote from: dmilligan on August 24, 2013, 02:01:24 AM
If you don't care about it being clean you might get it to work with a tether or hdmi capture

You're a genius.
Thanks!

dac

In the end, which version should I install: 07/13, 07/15 or 07/31 ?
Thanks !

Northernlight

How about ETTR / Auto-ETTR (for timelapse etc.) on the 1100D / T3 ?

This would be a really useful feature on the 1100D, really hope it will be possible to have this soon!

penor

Hello,
im new with ML,
Isaw a Video on YT where u can snap with the fingers and the Camera will take Automaticly  a Picture : Sound Triger.

is that Possible on 1100D ?

I have Runnig the lastet Nightly and the R3 Firmware.

uniextra

Quote from: 47Crows on August 15, 2013, 10:57:19 AM
In the Overlay tab, look for Focus Peak. Press Q. You should have a few settings, some of which are what you specified (namely, grayscale image and color).
hi i found that... but i think i cant get it to work,... how is to be used?
this is what i see
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9h79tzcz3euhor/2013-08-27%2018.41.38.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hczrimt8b1dyht/2013-08-27%2018.41.45.jpg

i found the name of the function on nikon http://www.d5100dslr.com/tutorials/selective-color/ 

Northernlight

Quote from: nanomad on June 06, 2013, 12:25:09 PM
Well, the thing is the 1100D has the same capabilities the 600D has, so around 960px wide images BUT we also have half the memory of the 600D available which means no RAW video. I'll enable all the other RAW-related stuff though (zebras, ETTR, spotmeter)

As I see several are requesting this, I am sure I speak for most when I say we are thrilled to read that you are working on ETTR for the 1100D!! :)
The 1100D is a highly capable camera, 4K capable (timelapse) with very good low light performance.

With ETTR/auto-ETTR enabled on this camera, we have an affordable timelapse bad-a** 4K capable monster, that can produce flicker-free timelapses from dusk til dawn! ;)

Any news on progress on ETTR is welcome! :)

Your hard work is appreciated!

dmilligan

Quote from: uniextra on August 27, 2013, 07:40:33 PM
hi i found that... but i think i cant get it to work,... how is to be used?
this is what i see
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9h79tzcz3euhor/2013-08-27%2018.41.38.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hczrimt8b1dyht/2013-08-27%2018.41.45.jpg

i found the name of the function on nikon http://www.d5100dslr.com/tutorials/selective-color/

I think you and 47crows are having a little misunderstanding about what you are intending to do. You mentioned the word "focus" in your original post, but I think what you want to do has nothing to do with focus.

It appears that what you want to do is desaturate an image except for one particular color that you can select. This is not at all what focus peaking does. Focus peaking just draws colored dots on the live view screen to help you easily see what part of the image is in focus, and it only shows on the screen, once you take an image it will look normal.

What you are trying to do is very easy to do (and should be done) in post, but not in camera. Most devs don't want to waste time making ML do things that can easily be done in post (see the 4th item in this list: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=950.0 ). If you would like to learn how to do this make a new thread in http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=14.0 and myself or someone else will help you, but I'm not going to explain it here b/c it's off topic.

thn-d

Hi A1ex/Nanomad,
the first post looks weird since the forum got a new layout. It's screwed, look at the bullet points!  :o
Canon EOS 1100D   |   Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II   |   Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4,0-5,6 IS II