Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windoze321

Quote from: a1ex on June 20, 2013, 12:52:19 PM
You can enable a dummy shooting mode (snap simulation) and just let the camera blink and beep. It should be enough to reproduce the bug - of course, if it's not caused by some memory overflow when taking a picture.

There were some changes to timing backend, so it might be related. If the problem happens after exactly X hours/minutes/whatever after powering on the camera, I know where to look.

Okay then, I'll try that out.  Unfortunately, though, I only have one battery and I just set it to charge.  I also need a couple/few hours of sleep.  It will still be about 12 hours quicker than waiting till dark, lol.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. – Wayne Gretzky
Canon Rebel T3/1100D - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II - Zhumell Z12 Dobsonian Telescope

Windoze321

Quote from: a1ex on June 20, 2013, 12:52:19 PM
There were some changes to timing backend, so it might be related. If the problem happens after exactly X hours/minutes/whatever after powering on the camera, I know where to look.

Now that I think of it, that very well could be.  The difference between 100 and 130 shots is about 14-15 minutes at 29 second exposures.  It did take me about that much longer to set up for the 1st shoot.  For the 2nd shoot, I knew my settings and didn't have to take any test shots.  I also didn't have to wait for my neighbors to go inside because I was setting up in a more secure location.

Edit:  I will do the test on the old firmware if when I wake up I don't see a response saying you found it.
Canon Rebel T3/1100D - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II - Zhumell Z12 Dobsonian Telescope

47Crows

Relevant to the earlier issue of Av button pressing in LiveView during FPS override: it* seems to happen the same without FPS override as well.

*the Av button doing practically nothing for a good few pushes (around 20) until it shows you the ML menu.

I was with GlobalDraw active, but only with zebras (as opposed to my other, previous display presets which include focusing peak and other GPU-consuming tasks). Something happened after the release of the 13th/18th of June nightly which caused erratic behavior with the Av button (it used to only not respond in LiveView when trying to close the ML menu via the Av button)

(hope I didn't accidentally my whole English, but I've tried to formulate the sentences like 3 times)

Windoze321

Bug Report Update - Intervalometer - Okay, I reverted to the June 13th release and ran (am running) the intervalometer at 30 seconds with the shutter speed at 29 seconds.  No problem at all.  The camera has been running for over 2 hours and 20 minutes and it's up to 275 simulated shots.  Now time to recharge my only battery :-)

47Crows

Quote from: Windoze321 on June 20, 2013, 08:37:53 PM
Bug Report Update - Intervalometer - Okay, I reverted to the June 13th release and ran (am running) the intervalometer at 30 seconds with the shutter speed at 29 seconds.  No problem at all.  The camera has been running for over 2 hours and 20 minutes and it's up to 275 simulated shots.  Now time to recharge my only battery :-)

Aw, man, you should have used the save-to-422 so that you would have not wasted simulated shots for nothing.

(if we even have 422 anymore, I haven't checked in months)

Windoze321

Quote from: 47Crows on June 20, 2013, 08:43:08 PM
Aw, man, you should have used the save-to-422 so that you would have not wasted simulated shots for nothing.

(if we even have 422 anymore, I haven't checked in months)

I just looked for it and couldn't find it.  If it is in there, it's hiding pretty well or I'm blind. 

If the skies are clear tonight, I'll be running the exact conditions as last night on the earlier release.

47Crows

Quote from: Windoze321 on June 20, 2013, 09:02:42 PM
I just looked for it and couldn't find it.  If it is in there, it's hiding pretty well or I'm blind.

Well, damn, they took it out. It was quite useful for snapshots. I hope we'll have it back in some future version.

Fletch

Quote from: Windoze321 on June 20, 2013, 12:50:22 PM
The 130 pictures that it did take were great, though!  http://pinterest.com/pin/459437599456549748/

Wow, that looks great!
How did you get the trees in there? Are they light painted?
Or did you start shooting earlier when it was lighter?
I'd love to try and get some pics like this.

Windoze321

Quote from: Fletch on June 21, 2013, 04:12:59 AM
Wow, that looks great!
How did you get the trees in there? Are they light painted?
Or did you start shooting earlier when it was lighter?
I'd love to try and get some pics like this.

Thanks!  Yeah, they're painted by the carriage lights of the house.

Edit:  ISO 400, 29s exposures, f/4.5, @20mm (Stock 18-55mm lens).  I think I shot them in a Tungsten White Balance.  Just set your manual focus to a bright star before hand (using the 10x magnification).  Absolutely no editing besides reducing the size of them and stacking them in Photoshop.  I left Blending for all the photos set to Normal.

Fletch

I like your pic of the moon, too.
I tried shooting the moon using the kit 70-300mm (at 300MM) and could only get this close -

https://josb.jux.com/1234564

Windoze321

Quote from: Fletch on June 21, 2013, 04:46:33 AM
I tried shooting the moon using the kit 70-300mm (at 300MM) and could only get this close -

That's a great shot!  Mine was taken through my telescope with a 12" mirror while holding the camera in front of the eyepiece.  I only had the 2" 30mm eyepiece on it for a magnification of 50x.  (I can go 545x, but the 30mm is the only one I have that fits the whole moon in it.)

Windoze321

Bug Report Update: Intervalometer - I ran it under the exact same conditions as last night except I used the release from the 13th and everything was fine.  I stopped it at 2 hours and 40 minutes and it took 282 pics. 

It should have only been 2 hours and 21 minutes, though (30s interval * 282 pics = 8,460s / 60 = 141 minutes or 2h 21m).  I deleted all the setup pics and only counted the ones from the time that the intervalometer was running, so that wasn't it.  I had written down the start and stop time of the intervalometer and it matched the time given for the 1st and last pics of the set.  I see no gaps in the stars when stacked, though.  Probably due to the combination of the bulb and intervalometer. I'm guessing that's why "There were some changes to timing backend".

Cheers and again, thanks for all your work!

Fletch

Windoze, OK, so I installed ML and it seems to have gone alright. All the menus are there etc.
I just want to make sure I understand as to how to set shutter speed, Aperture and ISO for movie mode.

I have Exposure Override *ON* from the main menu and have set my aperture, shutter speed and ISO to what i want them to be.

This means that now when i am in movie mode it is using my settings and not the apparent settings that display on the bottom of the screen while in movie mode/live view.

This appears to be the case, as the brightness does not change whether I am pointing it to the window (very bright) or into shadow.

Windoze321

Quote from: Fletch on June 22, 2013, 04:59:39 AM
Windoze, OK, so I installed ML and it seems to have gone alright. All the menus are there etc.
I just want to make sure I understand as to how to set shutter speed, Aperture and ISO for movie mode.

I have Exposure Override *ON* from the main menu and have set my aperture, shutter speed and ISO to what i want them to be.

This means that now when i am in movie mode it is using my settings and not the apparent settings that display on the bottom of the screen while in movie mode/live view.

This appears to be the case, as the brightness does not change whether I am pointing it to the window (very bright) or into shadow.

Should be correct.  I've only used it with the fps override, though.

Fletch

Had some weirdness trying to use it today.
I had put another blank card in without ML and it worked fine (without ML running of course).
When I switched back to the card with ML on it, it wouldn't run when I pressed the AV button. I knew it was on there because of the little yellow numbers under 'ISO' on the screen, but the ML menu wouldn't come up, like it wasn't installed.

I had to press AV a few times in quick succession to get the ML to come up at all.

When it finally did, I couldn't seem to get the User defined Cinestyle to come up. It was like it had disappeared, but it came back a short time later.

So yeh, a bit weird.

UPDATE: I just put the card with ML on it back in (after having a non-ML card in it) and ML doesn't show up at all.

nanomad

Check if the bootflag is still there with EOSCard. If it is, reset ML settings by deleting the files inside ML/SETTINGS
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Fletch

Just saw your post this morning now (after I tried below).

At first I thought it might be the battery, because it was getting flat, so I charged it overnight and tried again this morning.
I put the ML card in again but nothing. It didn't appear to be there. I know it was on there because when I put the card in the LED flashes once.

Anyway, I did the firmware update thing again (the ML installation) and it seemed to go OK. The green menu came up telling me ML was installed etc. So I turned the camera off and on, and again - nothing. I pressed the Av key a few times quickly and eventually the menu came up. I turned the camera off and on again, but this time no amount of pressing would bring up the menu.

Have to go to work this morning so will try again later.

(ps, am using build from the 12th)

Fletch

[found answer - deleted :)

TokraCro

Is there an option to make numbers bigger when using Intervalometer ? I am talking about that numbers of taken pics . It happend to me few times that I was really low to the ground with my camera, and exp. was 10 sec with 12 sec betwen pics, and beside that I had to crouch to get to the camera, it was almost impossible for me to see the number of pics  because whole process was really fast and the numbers are so small and with everything around them and it was (almost) impossible to see  anything.
I dont want to bother too much, and you dont have to make adjustments because of me, I am just curious if there is option to change that or if you have time, somewhere down the road to add that option :))
Canon 6D, Canon T2i, Canon 1100D. 18-55 IS, 18-55 III, Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC HSM EX, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 55-250 IS, Minolta MC Rokkor -PF 50mm (reverse for macro)

TokraCro

Nomad, I had similar problems like Fletch, but I didnt change cards or even take the card out of the camera and my ML stopped working.
Did 2 sets of pictures the day before 2 x 300 pics and today I did 300 with no problems but after that when I moved to new location and set up everything I just couldnt get ML working. Pressing AV didnt do anything, turning on / off didnt help, battery was on half, I could see free GB in the bottom of the screen but ML woudnt come up. I have build from 13. The only way it would come up on the screen was if I pressed the button under AV Camera one with red dot.. then I would see all that things from ML, and pressing AV then worked.
Just recharged my battery and now ML comes on when I press AV every third time or something like that, but at least its working now.
Should I delete the files inside ML/SETTINGS like you suggested to Fletch or ?
Canon 6D, Canon T2i, Canon 1100D. 18-55 IS, 18-55 III, Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC HSM EX, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 55-250 IS, Minolta MC Rokkor -PF 50mm (reverse for macro)

nanomad

Yeah try deleting the settings. I'll try to debug the button press code and see if I can spot an error somewhere
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

TokraCro

OK, I deleted that file, and not much changed. Now, I dont have that number that says how many GB i have left on card.. ML works ONLY if I press live view button and then AV to enter ML, that works every time, and if I am not in live view then I cant start ML.. is there any error file or something that I can send you to help you and that you can see that error ?
or something ?

Joseriul

I was thinking(Yeah i think)
Its possible to add mirror lock-up to 1100d?
Canon Eos   T3/1100D Mark Free - EF-S 18-55 III - EF 75-300 II - EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Windoze321

I have a request.  Using expanded HDR for photos, would it be possible to make the exposure margin higher than 5?  I'd like to see options up to 15.  Here's the thing.  Even at 5, I have to take 3+ pictures to get the effect I'm looking for and everything in between is a total waste.  What I'm trying to do is take a long exposure of the moonlit clouds.  I would like to HDR it with a very short exposure that gives me detail in the Moon.  So a broader range would allow me to do it with just 2 shots instead of 3-5.  (I'm taking them in the mode that adjusts the shutter, not the other things.  I want to keep a low ISO to reduce noise.)  Having had a shutter failure in my last camera, I'm really trying to keep my shutter count down as much as I can without deterring  my photography habits.

As always, cheers and thank you for this wonderful tool! 

TokraCro

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u6tx2jrid2h45y9/m_hsmhcxcS

Link with the files of my crash / error last night
It happened while I was transferring files from my camera to my PC via cable
Camera beeped and there was some message about not able to take pictures and something else.. I didnt see what really happened because I wasnt expecting anything while I transfer files. Battery was near end also, since I just got home from shooting

Hope it helps