Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lena_dahling

It's not the installation process that I want to be easier, I've done that.  I don't see the menu buttons or any indication it's on my camera, except for some small yellow numbers in one of the indicators (can't remember which one now and don't have the camera with me.)  I thought that was indicative of the 'no buttons' issue that the build is lacking?  Or maybe I just don't know how to use the software...? :/

Urbexgamma

Press the Av button one time, and then one of your arrow keys, always works here.

sfmurph

Quote from: nanomad on May 05, 2013, 09:36:49 AM
It probably can be made better. Suggestions?

Well, the main thing that I'm seeing is that when going into the ML menus from non-LiveView mode, all the menu items are greyed out, and when selecting one, the help text at the bottom says (in red) that Global Draw is disabled. When I start the ML menus from LiveView, the menu looks right (not greyed out and no red warning text).

I think it would be better that when coming into the ML menus from the non-LiveView mode, the text wasn't greyed out when GlobalDraw is set to LiveView, and the red warning text didn't say "Global Draw disabled" in red, but instead said "Global Draw is only available in LiveView" in orange or yellow. If Global Draw is disabled, then the greyed out menu and current red text makes sense.

Does that make sense?

a1ex

Wait a minute, red text was in a prehistorik version...

sfmurph

Well, I'm currently running a May 2, 2013 nightly build. The red text is way at the bottom of the screen, like a help text (not the menu text, if that makes sense).

lena_dahling

Quote from: Urbexgamma on May 09, 2013, 08:04:53 AM
Press the Av button one time, and then one of your arrow keys, always works here.

Thanks!  Duh. :/

snakesanti

Hi there.

My cam seems to be dead... :( :o

I didn't use ir along a week, and it doesn't swich on...
I let de battery charging during my work time....hope ML only ate batt...anyway, it isn't normal, i've charged it a week earlier....
Will tell you what finally happens (hope continue having a reflex)

nanomad

The 1100D shouldn't be affected by the shutdown bug in theory... But this kind of stuff may happen. Let's hope it's not an hardware issue but just a flat batter
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

There is another kind of shutdown bugs, where DryOS state is corrupted. These are usually ML bugs, and can be fixed if you tell us how to reproduce it.

Tip: when the shutdown is not complete, the camera will not turn back on. This should help identifying the stuff that causes problems.

snakesanti

Finally the problem was empty battery  8) 8)

It should be because I usually forget swich off my cam, and it remains in standby mode...with ML eating all energy.

Anyway, my fear were big enought (and my girfriend's face too  >:()...i'll be a time with original firm in my cam...
Thank you all guys!

47Crows

So, since nanomad seemed to have a little bit more time on his hands and wanted suggestions, I thought of a thing, which might or might not have been said before.

Picture this if you will: I would really appreciate a ML function that allows the user to save a certain exposure preset (kinda like Expo. Presets, but not quite). At the user's choice, the exposure presets can be dumped into files (expo config files, whatever you want to call them) and/or sent directly to manual mode (M)'s exposure settings. (somebody likes to use formatting a lot)
I don't know how useful other people might find it, but I've had times when I wish I'd jotted down the exposure for certain places (say, a poorly-lit room, where you don't have access to a tripod, but have managed over a year to find a good exposure preset for it). True, you can note down the exposure settings, but what's the fun in doing that?

tl;dr, I wish I could have a "send exposure preset to manual/file(s)" function. I know, lack of buttons. Say... half-pressed shutter + the Q button, or the DEL (although you use DEL in conjunction with the wheel to compensate EV, but I doubt a quick tap will affect it).

I certainly had other ideas, way before I'd found out about ML, but obviously, they come and go. I'll be sure to come back if they do.
Peace.

nanomad

There's a pull request pending called custom C-modes (google what a C-mode is on a canon camera). But it's so complex i didn't review it yet. I guess I could look at it after porting RAW stuff to the 1100D :P
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

47Crows

Quote from: nanomad on May 19, 2013, 07:10:08 PM
There's a pull request pending called custom C-modes (google what a C-mode is on a canon camera). But it's so complex i didn't review it yet. I guess I could look at it after porting RAW stuff to the 1100D :P

Yep, kinda like what high-end Canons have, but it would be swell if they were unlimited (which is where the "dump to file" part comes in, but I guess you'd do that anyway).

Thanks for the awesome builds! Keep fighting the good fight!

tomasmto

I would like to try the ML on my brand new T3, but I'm afraid of. I almost don't know anything about programming, so i'm afraid i can't help you guys at all. but guess you can help me. Is there any reason for me  NOT to install it, since i don't know how to solve any issue that i may have? If,in your opinion it's acceptably safe , (i'm not saying i want 100% sure, but I just don't want to lose the equipment that i'm still paying for) how do I proceed ? Is there any file that I just got to put in the memory stick to install ML, or I have to make any complicated process before having it on my camera? If it's not asking too much, i would like to learn how to do this process of installation safely, even if the software is still in development.

gettyfv

Hi,

Good day...

Is there any updates of ML for 1100d?

mohitnayar

Hi, I just heard about ML and wanted to know when do u estimate 1100D would be supported?

nanomad

The 1100D is in "maintenance mode", meaning everything that should work it's working right now. The only exception is RAW stuff but I'm working on it :)

tomasmto

Quote from: nanomad on May 28, 2013, 09:56:58 PM
The 1100D is in "maintenance mode", meaning everything that should work it's working right now. The only exception is RAW stuff but I'm working on it :)

So, do you think it wouldn't be dangerous? I mean, I know the possible risks, but overall it's ok to download this version even if I don't have much of a experience on programming and things like that?

47Crows

Quote from: tomasmto on May 28, 2013, 10:56:52 PM
So, do you think it wouldn't be dangerous? I mean, I know the possible risks, but overall it's ok to download this version even if I don't have much of a experience on programming and things like that?

It should be just fine, don't worry about it. It's way past the dangerous part. I was like you a few months ago and I'm not quite well financially, so ruining the only camera I have is pretty much a one-hit-one-kill for me.
If anything goes wrong (if it freezes) , turn off the camera and then turn it back on.
If that goes wrong as well, take out the battery for a couple of seconds and then put it back in.

If all else fails, format the card and that should work. (note that it will still leave a tiny bit of information on the camera that tells it to look for ML on the card - this can be eliminated by installing ML on the card, then on the camera and then uninstalling it from the camera by the same process you use to install it. it should say so after having installed it, right there with all the green text)
(am i right guys?)

Anyway, just don't click the one function that says not to click it.
Enjoy.

47Crows

In other news, I would like to report what seems not to have been fixed in a long time, nor it is really required:

I'm using the May 11th version, but I have a hunch these issues have not been dealt with.

When adjusting LV brightness, contrast (and probably saturation), cause strange behavior (the increase in brightness only affects the green channel of the screen and the contrast only the red/magenta).

Also, while filming with FPS override there are 2 issues:
-it takes a while (a few frames, which for timelapse purposes is a lot) for the autoexposure to figure out what exposure it wants from the scene (I'm guessing this is a Canon-defined algorithm that smooths the exposure changes in realtime video).
-while in exposure override, it takes quite a while to change the shutter value from the ML menu (the little cyan box with the grey vertical line moves realtime, but the numerical value change itself and the effect to the exposure are greatly delayed)

Otherwise, ML works great! Fewer crashes due to insufficient memory. The format-and-keep-ML function now works splendidly ever since you solved the malloc thing. Keep fighting the good fight and to all a good life!

tomasmto

Quote from: 47Crows on June 01, 2013, 09:17:26 PM
It should be just fine, don't worry about it. It's way past the dangerous part. I was like you a few months ago and I'm not quite well financially, so ruining the only camera I have is pretty much a one-hit-one-kill for me.
If anything goes wrong (if it freezes) , turn off the camera and then turn it back on.
If that goes wrong as well, take out the battery for a couple of seconds and then put it back in.

If all else fails, format the card and that should work. (note that it will still leave a tiny bit of information on the camera that tells it to look for ML on the card - this can be eliminated by installing ML on the card, then on the camera and then uninstalling it from the camera by the same process you use to install it. it should say so after having installed it, right there with all the green text)
(am i right guys?)

Anyway, just don't click the one function that says not to click it.
Enjoy.

Thanks a lot for the explanation,dude. I surely needed this little "push" to get me downloading it.

michbil

Hello, i am new to magic lantern, and a have a few questions:

Is it possible to manually control exposure using dial(like in 600d by default)?
Currently exosure changes are possible only via magic lantern menu with exp. override on.

Thanks!

nanomad

Quote from: michbil on June 03, 2013, 07:49:26 PM
Hello, i am new to magic lantern, and a have a few questions:

Is it possible to manually control exposure using dial(like in 600d by default)?
Currently exosure changes are possible only via magic lantern menu with exp. override on.

Thanks!

Not possible :-(

michbil

Quote from: nanomad on June 03, 2013, 08:51:06 PM
Not possible :-(

Is there any hardware or software restriction to realize this feature?

nanomad

Well, the dial is used to control canon's AV comp