Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alband

Easier just to hoast them on my server than create an account I won't use. Link is here: http://www.spanglefish.com/davidjamesalban/documents/ml/logs.zip

I'll take it down ina month or so. Should be enough time.
Cheers.

a1ex

Canon code ran out of memory when indexing the photos on the card.

How much free memory do you have now?

alband

I just upgraded my firmware now.

However, during the period I had those crashes, I had lots of memory most of the time (usually >3GB). However, I did shoot some time lapses every now and then which may have filled it up until I unloaded and deleted all the images. I can wait to see if it does it again, and then record how much memory is free on the SD card, then let you know?

Is it an issue with the Canon side of things than the ML side? Like I said, none of the crashes bothered or affected me. Just off/battryout/batteryin/on worked each time.

Btw, I've got some issues with the motion detect in the latest build. It's same as some I mentioned before. If the sensing area is "large" it always takes pictures. And if the sensing area (at other sizes) is moved to the top or bottom, it always take pictures. I'll get a video together when I have time and post it, but those are the same symptoms I had that I posted in a previous video.

a1ex

... RAM memory, look in Debug menu.

alband

Right now: "301K + 442K". But I've just upgraded, presumably you needed the figure from the time of the crashes?

a1ex

Sounds a bit better. The 60D still has occasional trouble with 1 MB free in the second buffer...

alband

Ok, well I just keep you posted, but record the figure at the time of any crash. Can it not add that to the crash log?

I'll work on the video too. Cheers,
David.

hoomonwho

Can't seem to be able to use the arrows to control the aperture/shutter speed, has anyone else got this working or is it just not working yet?

massive thanks to all contributors, loving the firmware

Babylon2008

Hey Folks,

Today I have tried out the latest ML Nightly-Built on my 1100d. It's a truly amazing piece of work... simply awesome! However, after playing around a bit I came to the point when the aperture and/or Iso began to flicker in a high dynamic range lightning environment. I tried out different things and found out, that the flickering stops temporarily, when you lock the lightning settings in the basic canon menu by pressing the *-button. (As long as the settings are locked).

Greets and Thumbs up, Eric

mikatrash

Hi, I installed ML again on my 1100D wednesday to record a live show so I needed the auto restart feature that worked fine on my 5DII.
On the 1100D when the 4Gb file limit was reached a popup appeared to say video has stopped ... but no autorestart.

Is it a known bug ?
Thanks.

MiK
EOS 5D MkII | EOS 40D | EOS 1100D | EF 24-70 L f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.8 II

alband

Quote from: alband on March 17, 2013, 04:20:08 PM
Btw, I've got some issues with the motion detect in the latest build. It's same as some I mentioned before. If the sensing area is "large" it always takes pictures. And if the sensing area (at other sizes) is moved to the top or bottom, it always take pictures. I'll get a video together when I have time and post it, but those are the same symptoms I had that I posted in a previous video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCM_nI7Fc0Y&feature=youtu.be

Aspect ratio has messed up when I uploaded to youtube which is odd. Still shows the issue though. It seems there are zones at the top and bottom, if the detection area is moved into them, it triggers (the trigger number shoots up too). When the detection area is big, it's always in those zones. That's my diagnosis anyway. The big detection area will be really useful for me if/when it works.

Thanks,
David.

shafq

Hi guys
I am a newbie in photography and recently bought canon 1100D as my first DSLR..I am planning to install magic lantern in my camera and I have some doubts regarding  magic lantern port to 1100d,which i hope some of you can enlighten me on..
1.Once installed,does the exposure override mode in magic lantern allow user to manually decide aperture,shutter speed and iso when shooting video,with 18-55mm kit lens.?
2.How can i make my sd card bootable?

Thanks in advance..

dye_spinner

Hi guys.. I want to ask about Trap Focus.  When I watched the demo on vimeo... trap focus (continuous mode) works perfectly that every time a car passes by it takes a shot... In my case, I turned it on in cont. mode, it took picture when the subject gets in focus, however  it didn't take any more pictures after that... The camera just beeps (focus confirmation beep) when the subject gets in focus...  Do I need to change other settings?
I'm using Canon 1100D. I know ML on this model is not yet fully functional.. i just want to ask if this is why my trap focus doesn't work properly...

shafq

I installed latest nightly build in my 1100D..I'm really impressed with the features..My heartiest thanks to the team behind this amazing product..Most of the functions i tried worked flawlessly,except exposure override.
When i set the magic lantern to exposure override mode ON,everything appeared to be normal in live view mode-there were no flickering or frequent "dimming and brightening" experienced by some previous posters in this thread.Shutter speed and iso could be set as desired.But the trouble was with aperture-It didn't change as i expected..It didn't stay in the widest aperture as mentioned by some previous posters.I set the aperture to the widest 3.5 limit and increased gradually with live view focused on a lamp..There was incremental dimming of the lamp with each increase in aperture from 3.5 upto 28 but to a much much lesser level than originally expected level of dimming,ie increase from 3.5 to 28 seems like 3.5 to 5.6..It seems like the decrease in aperture with increase in f value  is like about 1/10th of the original expected value..Could this be rectified in coding?

a1ex

Does this happen in both movie and photo mode?

shafq

Sorry for late reply..It happen only in movie mode..not in photo

Arcanemon

Hi!,
For me it happens in all the modes when the LiveView is ON; So I think that the aperture issue is only in LV.
If you try to focus when you are recording video, then the aperture changes correctly, but then it came back.
I recently made a video of it, I'll upload it this afternoon so you can see.
However, THE FLICKERING ISSUE APPEARS VERY SOMETIMes, BUT THE APERTURE ISSUE IS ALWAYS THERE.

I'll wait back for your answer.

Arcanemon

Hi!,
Here is the video with the Aperture issue that me and others commented.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnSFDjDl9DU
I was using the video mode but as I said before it happens in every mode when the LiveView is on.

Other things:
- Build used: Nightly build from 26 March 2013.
- Lens used: Canon EF-S 18-55mm III non IS.

I added some annotations into the video that I hope clarifies this problem.

Thanks again to all the ML team for this wonderful software.

zagi988

Hello.
I'm new here and first I would like to thank all the guys that are making ML possible on 1100D.
I'm not using much of ML features, but the one's that I'm trying to use - don't work.

1. Taking screenshot: when I want to take a screenshot of either ML or any Canon menu, the timer end and nothing happens except the camera freezes and I need to remove the battery.

2. When using FPS override (to make timelapse), droping it down to 0.2 FPS makes camera freeze (I can start recording, but when I end it, it freezes) EDIT: Looks like I set it to 2 fps but when I open a video on PC it's normally 30 FPS :/

3. ML sometimes resets itself after I start the camera up and I need to set it up all over again (SOLVED with exporting to script, EDIT: Can't run script, out of memory)

4. Will try more features when the weather changes, it's all grey and snowy now :S

Setup using: ML v2.3.NEXT.201 3Mar31.1100D105
Free mem: 303k+442k
Lens: 18-55 EF-S IS

zagi988

1. I don't understand that fix...what should I do, where to find those files? Or you will update it in next nightly? EDIT: Ok, I see that the new nightly is out. Gonna test it.

3. Please define that, I can't really understand the question...How to reproduce what? The script? I just ran it...

EDIT: Deleted old ML, pasted the new one and turned on the camera...and ML crashed, I got this to send it to the devs

https://www.box.com/s/vg8945cdrjgyru2e8m8t

EDIT2: The April 02. version works (screenshot doesn't) but when I switch to LV I get "Null pointer error 0,100" writen with red letters in top left corner.

Reverted to 31.March.

Rush

Flickering is caused by broken aperture control - it always wide open, but if you set it to higher number - you will not change aperture, but you will experience flickering with changing aperture - from wide open to f-number, you set in ML, back and forth.
So, I recommend to always change your aperture value to your lowest f-number, to avoid flickering. (it's hard with zooms with variable max f-number - it will stick to highest f-number after your come back from tele- to wide- - you need to correct aperture accordingly if you don't want flicker).
Greetings from Russia!

Arcanemon

Thank you Rush for your answer.
But there is any code-fix for that broken-aperture control?.
Is it possible to correct it?.
This aperture issue only happens in a few Canon 1100D? Or everyone else has the same problems?

a1ex

I've double-checked the aperture constants and they seem alright. It only happens on 1100D.

Feel free to grab the source code and investigate it.

Arcanemon

Ok, I got some C skills programing but no too much.
In which archive are the constants?.
Thanks