Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alband

Hi,
Do we have a solution for the motion detection issue? Am I the only one that has the problem?

Cheers,
David.

nanomad

Well, you may have an "unlucky" camera. Do you mind doing these steps?
- Re-download the latest firmware from canon
- Update the camera
- Re-test the motion detection

If it doesn't work, make a video of it (it makes debugging a little bit easier)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

lengher

HDR video doesn't work for me, iso only changes back and forth when I don't record? I have exp. override: Auto (ON).

nanomad

Did you check the recorded footage? We removed live view flickering to avoid seizures
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

lengher

Quote from: nanomad on January 03, 2013, 11:06:09 AM
Did you check the recorded footage? We removed live view flickering to avoid seizures

Yes I checked my recorded footage but it still does not work. 

nanomad

Quote from: lengher on January 03, 2013, 08:30:47 PM
Yes I checked my recorded footage but it still does not work.

Fixed, should be in today's nightly builds

Oleg rus

Hi  .
I am from Russia.
English I don `t know: (
The question whether it is possible to put the firmware now?
Does it not preneset damage the camera?

nanomad

It is possible. I can't guarantee it won't do any damage to your camera, but no one has complained about it yet (this applies to ML as a whole)

Oleg rus

alband

I update the firmware to the lates Canon one. Then updated the ML firmware onto it, still got the same problem. Here's the video of what's going on. While shooting it, I discovered a related problem where the motion detection is triggered when the sensing square is moved to the top of bottom of the screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e9Z6LRX_dg&feature=youtube_gdata

hope this helps.

FluidMovementMovies

Hi Nanomad,
(sorry for my bad english)

I have tried "magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Jan03.60D.550D.600D.50D.500D.5D2.1100D" nightly build in my 1100D and
this is what happened:

You talked about this issue before in this forum, but I don't know if it was solved.
My lenses are Canon 18-55 III. Please, tell me how to remove the error.

Thanks.
Canon EOS 70D     |       Canon 18-55 EF f/4-5.6 II      |       Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM    |       Tokina 12-24 f/4           |          Canon 24-105 f/4

nanomad

Unfortunately it seems to happen with some lenses...the trigger conditions are not known but, from what i've seen, it happens if
- you have an EF-S lens
- the lens doesn't have a constant aperture
- the scene has a high dynamic range

FluidMovementMovies

Thank you nanomad, one last thing, will the issue be removed in the future?
Canon EOS 70D     |       Canon 18-55 EF f/4-5.6 II      |       Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM    |       Tokina 12-24 f/4           |          Canon 24-105 f/4

Xavierus

Hello!

I tried ML 2.3, but Focus Peaking isn't work on my 1100d. Will it be fixed in the future?

Thanks!

nanomad

Quote from: FluidMovementMovies on January 07, 2013, 08:34:57 PM
Thank you nanomad, one last thing, will the issue be removed in the future?

If we figure out what causes it, yes

Quote from: Xavierus on January 10, 2013, 11:50:02 AM
Hello!

I tried ML 2.3, but Focus Peaking isn't work on my 1100d. Will it be fixed in the future?

Thanks!

What version? One of the old releases on a nightly build? What do you see on screen? What algorithm were you using (check with Q while the peaking option is highlighted). Also: post a screenshot of the scene

KyuR

Quote from: nanomad on January 07, 2013, 05:54:35 PM
Unfortunately it seems to happen with some lenses...the trigger conditions are not known but, from what i've seen, it happens if
- you have an EF-S lens
- the lens doesn't have a constant aperture
- the scene has a high dynamic range
Hi!
It also happens to me when i´m using EF50mm f1.8...
Could you come with a workaround?

I'm using the 11 Jan nightly

nanomad

Interesting... I shoot almost exclusively with the 50 and never experienced it

alband

Hi, couple of things:

First:
I tried to do a bulb-ramping timelapse today. When I set it going, it started doing the calibration stuff - It took a few pictures then tried to draw the graph thing, but soon it got stuck in a cycle of testing the display gain, changing the ISO, and the shutter speed, checking luma and stuff. It did this for ages. I've only had bulb ramping work form me once, on a previous build. However, when it did work that one time, it took ages and did something similar to this cycle of checks. So I decided to trust it and left it to do it's checks then hopefully start shooting the times lapse. However, over an hour later, it was still doing the checks and was nearly out of battery. This is the fourth time out of four tries that this has happened, though this is the only time I've left it for so long. The scene was well lit - I was shooting the sky, (ISO100, f5.6 1/200 was well exposed, though I tried other settings). The scene wasn't moving at all, it was on a tripod too. I've attached the log files from the two tries I did today. I stopped the first one after about 5mins but I let the second go for over an hour. Strangly though, both are only 1kb.

Second: Did you see my video on youtube showing the problem with the motion detection? I'm not asking for any results, just checking you saw it. I can provide more info on request, but if I'm the only one with this problem, it may not be worth it.

Third: I've notice something when viewing images. When I press the zoom button, it goes to full magnification, and when I press it again, it becomes unzoomed completely. Is there any way to turn this off? I find the standard zooming controls easier to use.

Thanks for the continued efforts. I might have a go at compiling myself, to at least see if I can understand it, though I'm not sure I understand the instructions  :P

Happy snapping! :)

Edit: I can't seem to add attachments. There is not option for it. I've copied the log files bellow:

ML ASSERT:
ABS(bramp_last_exposure_rounding_error_evx1000) < 500
at ../../src/shoot.c:6087 (hdr_shutter_release), task shoot_task
lv:0 mode:2

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013Jan04.1100D105
Mercurial changeset   : 1f026f967e02 (unified) tip
Built on 2013-01-04 03:04:10 by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 345K + 311K

ML ASSERT:
lv:0 mode:2

Free Memory  : 346K + 334K

a1ex

1) Can you post a video showing the calibration process? Normally it takes a couple of seconds.

2) It works fine, except for the misalignment problem, which is straightforward to fix (Nanomad did the same thing for magic zoom). The misalignment is probably the cause for bulb ramping not working well. Also check spotmeter whether it reads from correct spot.

3) Look in Prefs menu.

4) What steps did you do to get the logs? It shouldn't happen; it means something's wrong with my math...

alband

Thanks for such a quick reply  :D

1. I'll do that but it'll take a little bit of time. How long do you want the video? Like, I said, it did whatever it was doing for over an hour. I'm sure it was doing the same things in some kind of pattern or cycle, but I wouldn't know if that pattern or cylce was a minute long, or 10.

2. Spot metering seems to be working fine even with motion detection on. I'll include a demo of that in the video.

3. Got it, shoult have check, thanks + sorry.

4. The log files were just there when I looked on the SD card. Opened them with notepad. When I was shooting: set up scene, took a few test shots, went to "shoot menu", everything off, set timelapse ramping to "Smooth ramping"/"OFF"/"OFF", turned timelapse ramping on, set intervalometer to "16s"/"0s"/"Disabled", turned intervalometer on, pressed the delete button to come out of ML and it started it's checks.

Cheers,
David.

a1ex

1. Just 2-3 cycles.

2. Check with a small black spot on a white wall, for example (this is how I test it on my cameras).

4. When you get that message, you should also see it on the screen. At which point does this happen? Also, are you in M mode?

alband

1. Hard to tell what a cycle is so I'll just play it by ear.

2. I used my ipod on full brightness in a dark room, moving it into view. It changes from ~4% to ~50% when the screen is under the spot. Tried it both horizontally and vertically. I'll include it in the video.

4. Don't see any "error" message on scren, just things like "checking display gain", "increasing ISO" etc. I wasn't in manual mode, though it did change to manual mode. Just trying it in manual mode and it seems to be having the same problem. Video probably needed.

alband

Hi,
Sorry the video took so long - lack of compatible cameras/memory cards/lenses - ended up shooting using an old screw on 100mm f2.8 + 1.4x converter + extended + adapter. Bizzar setup :p

Anyway, video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuZxTgyaDc
Again, the camera generated a log file which is bellow. Hope this is useful.
Thanks,
David.

ML ASSERT:
lv:0 mode:3

Free Memory  : 346K + 322K

a1ex

Hopefully fixed, try again with tomorrow's nightly build. If it's still not working, record another movie just like this one.

alband

Faster response than most things I've paid for, brilliant  :D Look forward to giving it a try and will report back

Cheers