Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubbut

new medium font

small font and medium font (not quite to scale)
small font is 3x6, medium is 5x7 (+spacing)

edit by nanomad: re-hosted on imgur to fix embedding

jplxpto

Quote from: a1ex on November 18, 2012, 04:44:58 PM
Screenshots please :D

Applying the same trick to medium and large fonts might improve the readability, and might be helpful on 5Dc/40D too.

Sounds good :)

ubbut :  Thanks for your contribution.

kainpower

WOW Ubbut, the new font is magnified. It was very necessary. Great job.

kainpower

I've found a problem. With nitly of 19/Nov. There are some font (numbers) that are not shown as the hyperfocal, or the version of the ML. LV mode.

In the 18/Nov nigtlhy, worked well.

nanomad

It will be fixed tonight, I've just approved the fix for that
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

kainpower

Great, thanks.  ;D

EDIt 20/11/2012: Download, all OK. FINE JOB.

David AE Levy

I'm a little bit of a noob to this forum, where do will I find the updated build (when it's ready) for the Canon T3?
Is it similar deployment as ML v2.3 for T2i's?

ubbut

Quote from: kainpower on November 19, 2012, 11:44:54 AM
Great, thanks.  ;D

EDIt 20/11/2012: Download, all OK. FINE JOB.

and sorry about the confusion, I forgot to include numerals into the font at first  :o

and thanks for your screen shots they look much nicer then mine ;-)

kainpower

Good night, two questions:

1) In LV mode, these numbers overlap, Is my configuration problem?

2) It is a minor problem in the help bar indicates -10 EV, but the minimum to-5EV

thanks

snakesanti

Hi there!
A few people are asking to ML translated....is it dificult to make a translation, may be possible to implement in code a way to have "txt" outside code itself, and use a txt translated???
I know you have more important thinks to do, and i know as well you are working on nightly versions, with a lot of thinks to do yet...but may be an easy think...who knows...
Salute!

nanomad

There's no translation support in ML right now. It's something that we may want to do in the future but it will require quite a bit of re-engineering of the menu structure. Feel free to start working on it though (if you have the skills)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

jplxpto

Quote from: nanomad on November 21, 2012, 12:52:02 PM
There's no translation support in ML right now. It's something that we may want to do in the future but it will require quite a bit of re-engineering of the menu structure. Feel free to start working on it though (if you have the skills)

nanomad:

This link can help us to have some ideas:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_resource_bundle

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/i18n/intro/index.html (Internationalization)

snakesanti

Quote from: nanomad on November 21, 2012, 12:52:02 PM

I'd be happy to help, put don't know a word bout programming....if it were as easy as take source and translate "word by word" in some archive, i'll take the time...but i'm sure it wont be as easy...
I'm reading links from jplxpto, and may download sources to see if i can do some usefull

ubbut

Hey,

for some reason I can't take screenshots...after 10 seconds the cam just freezes and no screenshot is taken.
Is it just my cam? There are some screenshots in the thread, so I know it must have worked once..;-)

thx

jplxpto

Quote from: snakesanti on November 21, 2012, 05:13:35 PM
I'd be happy to help, put don't know a word bout programming....if it were as easy as take source and translate "word by word" in some archive, i'll take the time...but i'm sure it wont be as easy...
I'm reading links from jplxpto, and may download sources to see if i can do some usefull

I think it should be simple to create a resources file for each language supported.
This file could be loaded on the card or in build time a .c file could be generated for each camera.

@ nanoma
I think this issue should be a different post. This is a task common to all cameras.

ubbut

Hi,
I am working on an anti aliasing function for the 1100D. First proof of concept results look nice, but it is still quite slow.

Basic idea is too perform some filtering on the image buffer to avoid aliasing after the line skipping takes place.

I am using a 1x3 filter kernel, which allows it to perform the filtering in place since only every second line is written.

Of course due to the fact, that we are limited to the first 80 entries of cannons palette this only works for gray scale, but I am translating color values to gray values that have the same brightness and use this to calculate intermediate values. And instead of overwriting a color pixel, nothing is done.

So let's assume the output of anti aliasing in full color space is a green pixel with a dark green pixel next to it. Here a green pixel with a dark gray pixel next to it is drawn instead. It's not quite as nice, but looks much better than without AA.

You can choose the area to be anti-aliased and you can also do stuff like: draw an icon, anti alias it and draw some not anti aliased text above it.

No AA:https://bitbucket.org/ubbut/magic-lantern/

With AA:

Please excuse the bad image quality

I believe this could be especially useful for dynamic generated graphics, such as histogram or vectorscope. (if the speed is improved)

if anyone is interested, code can be found here:
https://bitbucket.org/ubbut/magic-lantern/

Note: it is just for testing and still beta. I set up a test pattern in the audio menu - turn on meters to turn on anti aliasing. The AA is performed on the whole screen, it is of course faster if only applied to a small area.

scrax

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

ubbut

Quote from: scrax on November 21, 2012, 08:50:43 PM
I like it,
mhm...
wait...
:o
1100D has a CRT screen??  :D  ;)

no it's just the awful lens distortion of a canon A560  :o

scrax

Quote from: ubbut on November 21, 2012, 10:33:02 PM
no it's just the awful lens distortion of a canon A560  :o
I have it too :D

About AA, this is how it looks on 600D:

WITH AA:

WITHOUT AA:

Looking at the screenshot i don't like the lines with AA, but fonts instead are better, Locking at the LCD i see not a lot of difference maybe less contrast (not nice); is there a way to toggle the effect?
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

jplxpto

Quote from: scrax on November 21, 2012, 08:50:43 PM
I like it,
mhm...
wait...
:o
1100D has a CRT screen??  :D  ;)

The CRT screen is a new feature of 1000D :)

ubbut

Quote from: scrax on November 21, 2012, 11:20:34 PM
I have it too :D

Looking at the screenshot i don't like the lines with AA, but fonts instead are better, Locking at the LCD i see not a lot of difference maybe less contrast (not nice); is there a way to toggle the effect?

Hi, first of all thanks for the screenshots, they will help me to improve the algorithm (for some reason my cam freezes when trying to make a screenshot)

The anti aliasing is designed to work in this particular case where the vertical resolution of the image buffer is twice the one of the screen and line skipping is used to resize the image.
If it looks blurred on the screenshot, that's actually a good sign^^, because that is what was intended: reduce the vertical high frequency component to avoid aliasing after resampling (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2%80%93Shannon_sampling_theorem)

For my test I switched back to the 'old' fonts, because they make a good test pattern, with the new fonts there will be no improvement.
On the screen you should see at least more horizontal lines in the test pattern when AA is enabled (see my photos).

jplxpto

@ubbut

I liked your work with fonts. I'd like to test your fonts on my 40D. I suggest to you add an entry in the debug menu that shows all characters in TFT. This option should only be apareser mode is set DEBUG in the makefile.

scrax

here the link tho the bmp instead of the png if needed:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/File:WithAA.BMP
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/File:WithoutAA.BMP

Thinking about how to compare, should be possible to draw two grid one with and one without AA on the same screen? Either i'll try to make a cropmark from the screenshot

EDIT: first commit was a bit laggy with all menu item shown, now I don't feel any lag when moving thru menus. By the way with your suggestions I've figured out how to apply a commit to my local copy from forks on bitbucket :)

ubbut

Quote from: jplxpto on November 22, 2012, 12:33:37 AM
I liked your work with fonts. I'd like to test your fonts on my 40D. I suggest to you that cries an entry in the debug menu that shows all characters in TFT. This option should only be apareser mode is set DEBUG in the makefile.

good idea, will look into it when i have time...

the resolution of the 40D is 320x240, correct? what is the resolution of the buffer? Buffer resolution should be double of that, otherwise the fonts won't improve much...  edit: well ok if it is some sort of cropping + line and/or row skipping it will work, too...

Quote from: scrax on November 22, 2012, 12:40:44 AM
Thinking about how to compare, should be possible to draw two grid one with and one without AA on the same screen? Either i'll try to make a cropmark from the screenshot

Next thing I will do is to set up a proper test pattern which covers all the eventualities, test AA on icons and waveform, vectorscope and histogram.
Until then you can switch AA on and off using the 'Audio Meters' on/off selector. (just in case you havn't seen it...)

a1ex

On 40D and 5Dc, the bitmap resolution is 720x240, and current medium fonts look pretty nice with a small trick: first we draw background pixels, then we draw the foreground ones. Fonts will get a bit bold, but no lines are skipped, so they look pretty good IMO.

Screenshot with this font trick: http://i.imgur.com/0T3EJ.jpg

Screenshot without this trick (older): http://i.imgur.com/prBqX.jpg