Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Broken with intent, I suppose. See reply #1365. Same goes for EOS M.
a1ex hasn't commented artur_d's findings yet. Don't press, please, he wrote about lack of spare time ...

Myxir

WTF why that? :/

I wanted to update my version to the latest working one (May 03). I downloaded and copied the folder to the existing folder on my sd card. Now ML does not start anymore. I remember there were some files I need to copy extra but I don't know what it is and I fear I've overwritten them. Somethings I the fonts folder I guess...
Can someone  help me?
EOS 1100D
18-55mm/3.5-5.6 IS II | 55-250mm/4-5,6 IS II | 40mm/2,8 Pancake
Metz MB 24 AF-1

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Myxir on July 18, 2015, 03:44:40 PM
WTF why that? :/

Preventing things like exploding cameras.

Quote from: Myxir on July 18, 2015, 03:44:40 PMCan someone  help me?

Delete Autoexec.bin and ML directory and copy extracted nightly build contents to card.

47Crows

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 18, 2015, 04:09:30 PM
Preventing things like exploding cameras.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to remove the "Don't touch this" feature?

Myxir

Hey.
Yup, ML worked again after that.
all-clear: The C.FN #7 was set to set AE/AF. I did not do that. WTF...

But now my AF is broken. I cannot use Af in PASM modes. In all other modes it works.
It seems like the "Is in focus"-bit is set to "yes" all the time. With my 40mm STM I can use the MF even when the AF is activated and did not hit. I've tried different lenses, removing the SD card and the battery. I've installed 1.05 stock from canon.com com but it did not help.

I repeat: AF _does not_ work for me, even _without_ Magic Lantern on the SD card! o.O :(
EOS 1100D
Metz MB 24 AF-1

dmilligan

A constant that is used for FPS override is wrong, so a1ex simply deleted the constant, that caused the compiler to fail b/c something it expects to have a value, doesn't. Rather than just disabling FPS override altogether, he intentionally allowed the build to fail, the idea being to encourage others to fix the problem. I normally try to fix stuff like this, but this particular issue requires more time than I have at the moment (it's also work that is not very interesting to me :P )

dfort

Both the 1100D and the EOSM are currently in the same situation with the wrong FPS override values. I looked up the code, fps-engio.c, and found where the code was intentionally broken to prevent these platforms from being compiled. It is rather easy to change it so these platforms do compile but of course the point is to fix it. a1ex asked for users to run some tests and report the results which was done on both platforms but sadly for users of these cameras the developers that know what to do with these numbers are too busy and not that interested. This isn't to criticizes, they are unpaid volunteers and this is just the way free and open source software is developed. You want something, you have to figure it out.

This is the header to fps-engio.c and it has some clues. Unfortunately the link goes to an outdated Google spreadsheet which points to a newer spreadsheet but it is rather cryptic and I can't see where the values reported need to be plugged in to get the correct timer values.

@dmilligan - is there any hint at all where to look for some sort of documentation on this? Apparently the 1100D and EOSM use different methods to change timer B but I can't get much further than that.

/**
* FPS control with engio calls (talking to DIGIC!)
* This method is portable: works on all cameras.
* https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdEZrXzBSZmdaSE9WVnpOblJ2ZGtoZXc#gid=0
**/

/**
* fps_timer_b_method
* Notes by g3gg0:
* okay i found how to directly change the sensor frame rate without patching and copying memory areas.
* it doesnt matter which mode is selected.
* on 600D v1.0.1 it is calling engio_write() with a buffer that writes the rate.
* unsigned long frame_rate[] = {
*      FPS_REGISTER_B, 0xFFFF, // timer register
*      FPS_REGISTER_CONFIRM_CHANGES, 0x01,   // coherent update
*      0xFFFFFFFF          // end of commands
* };
* void run_test()
* {
*     void (*engio_write)(unsigned int) = 0xFF1E1D20;
*     frame_rate[1] = 0xFFFF; // timer value as usual [Alex: timer value minus 1 on certain cameras]
*     engio_write(frame_rate);
* }
**/

This might be better discussed in a development topic but broken nightlies keep coming up in the user topics. Besides, I'm not a developer--I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

DarthWaderSithLord

I would like ML on my Canon T3 is it still being developed and not available for my model yet? I have tried almost all the Versions of firmware for the 1100D-105 and I keep getting the same message on my camera that the update file cannot be found.

Walter Schulz

1) Format card in cam, copy extracted nightly build contents to card and run firmware update. Follow instructions as described on page 1 of this thread.
2) If it doesn't work: Format card again and copy extracted FIR file (Canon's FIR, not ML FIR) to card and run firmware update. If done, proceed with step 1.

DarthWaderSithLord

I am super new on doing this and I don't want to make any mistakes I may need a step by step walk through...I tried what you posted for me to do but this is the result I got. Autoexe.bin not found  Please copy all ml files.
Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 05, 2015, 07:06:53 PM
1) Format card in cam, copy extracted nightly build contents to card and run firmware update. Follow instructions as described on page 1 of this thread.
2) If it doesn't work: Format card again and copy extracted FIR file (Canon's FIR, not ML FIR) to card and run firmware update. If done, proceed with step 1.

Walter Schulz

Format card in cam, copy extracted nightly build contents to card and run firmware update.

Autoexec.bin is contained in nightly build zip file.
Is it there in card's root?

DarthWaderSithLord

Again I am very new....cannot stress enough I am not sure how to do this.. I have used the main download page and selected the 1100D-105 and it clearly states build failed... I went to top of page and followed link and got this file...ML-SETUP.FIR....the only one I could save and loaded it into the camera...that is when I got the error message I got.

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> 1100D.105 -> Show older builds -> 2015-05-03.
Extract ZIP. Copy AUTOEXEC.BIN and 1100D105.FIR and ML directory to card.
Run firmware update.

DarthWaderSithLord

DarthWaderSithLord

Date: 2015-05-02 19:25:03 -0500/Date: 2014-05-05 19:25:01 -0500
those are the closest to what you recommended

DarthWaderSithLord

EVZML

Hi.
2 short questions.
Is it possible to use manual exposure, iso and shutter speed, when filming with the 1100D on Magic Lantern?
And is 720p still the highest (H.264, not RAW) resolution - no 1080p?

I'm mostly shooting with my 50D and sometimes use my 1100D only as second camera.

Thanks!

dmilligan

EVZML

@dmilligan

1.Can you please tell me how to set it from automatic to manuel? I can't find it.
2.Has somebody ever tried implementing a 1080p video modus? Maybe it works, even if only for a few seconds/minutes.

Thanks!

bvjgcigh

Quote from: EVZML on November 09, 2015, 05:57:21 PM
@dmilligan

1.Can you please tell me how to set it from automatic to manuel? I can't find it.
2.Has somebody ever tried implementing a 1080p video modus? Maybe it works, even if only for a few seconds/minutes.

Thanks!
1.In the ML menu make sure you are in the "Expo." tab and make sure "Exp. Override" is on. Then, in video mode, you should be able to adjust iso, shutter, etc. from that same tab (in magic lantern's menu).
2. I asked about 1080p before and they said it couldn't be done.

oleg_milantiev

I have 7D and EOS M - both with ML installed, sure. Great addon to Canon.

Friend of mine ask me about video crop mode ability on his 1100D. I tell him to look into ML "Video" menu and enable Video Crop Mode in it. But he give me answer "I havnt this item in menu".

So, want to ask here. Have 1100D ability to write mp4 at crop video mode? As I know, current 1100D ML build havnt RAW video ability in. Crop mode also off?

Brand Brand

It feels soooooo good to be back. Positive people.
Canon EOS Rebel SL1/100D | Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D | EF 50mm III | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | EF-S 18-55mm IS II/ STM | EF-S 55-250mm IS II | Sima LED Camera Light | Zoom H1

Ebrahim Saadawi

Quote from: oleg_milantiev on November 11, 2015, 08:32:23 PM
I have 7D and EOS M - both with ML installed, sure. Great addon to Canon.

Friend of mine ask me about video crop mode ability on his 1100D. I tell him to look into ML "Video" menu and enable Video Crop Mode in it. But he give me answer "I havnt this item in menu".

So, want to ask here. Have 1100D ability to write mp4 at crop video mode? As I know, current 1100D ML build havnt RAW video ability in. Crop mode also off?

No crop mode for 1100D.

Shooting raw, the crop function works. However, the 1100D is basically unusable for RAW video after too much time tying (too slow card slot and very low resolution with lots of bugs)

Short answer no.

I hope someone is still interested in this little large-pixeled APS-C camera.

Myxir

Are there really no updates between May 3rd and October 1st? 
EOS 1100D
Metz MB 24 AF-1