Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Getting close; do you have a screenshot of the free memory menu when this error appears?

mad.eos

#drumrolling. ;-) fingers crossed
Canon EOS 1100D w/ 18-55mm | ML Nightly Build Tester

a1ex

Getting late; added some small changes that might help, let me know if it's better (post screenshots and complete error messages if not).

edit: the build bot got stuck somehow...

47Crows

Here you go, took quite a lot to make it have a memory error. For some reason, while trying to take a snap of it, everything ran smooth. But I managed to break it, don't worry.
It seems almost random to me.

EDIT: left at the original resolution, for your viewing pleasure

mad.eos

If shoot malloc is used=0 then it's going to crash, at least, happened with me every time.

mad.eos

Tried the latest build and here are my conclusions:

Good news:
shoot_malloc already has memory allocated, don't know if it's associated in any way but hey... It doesn't freeze anymore when we shut down the camera!

Bad news:
Screenshot does freeze the camera (hence the picture taken with my phone).
Memory benchmark still gives the "malloc error :("

A thanks to alex in any case for partially solving this issue which, for me, was a great step for stability ;)

starbase64

Hi,

screenshot doesn't work on latest build, here is a dump after freeze:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epxypwtqte3hxw4/LOGS.zip

i hope this helps.

regards

starbase64

starbase64

No problems with memory...

a1ex

Screenshots and benchmarks are requesting more memory than you actually have on the camera.

So, as long as the error is handled nicely (without crash), don't worry about them. Look for crashes in normal usage (when you take photos, record videos, review them, browse menus and so on).

Screenshot is Canon code, so it's not aware of the memory backend. The only solutions are:

1) use shoot_malloc for everything (which is not exactly ideal, because when changing some stuff in Canon menu, they expect shoot_malloc to be 100% free)
2) rewrite the screenshot with ML code (described here, anyone would like to code it? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10540 )

47Crows

Feb23rd works great for me.
Just noticed the QuickReview overlays and I have to ask, are they really RAW in the review stage?

Maybe offtopic, but I thought I should let you know, yesterday's build hung while entering stand-by and the LED turned on and remained that way. All because of one "if()" regarding memory?

a1ex

If the histogram has the EV bars on it, and slides with exposure without changing its shape, it's raw.

If not, it's YUV.

karlitron

Hi, i'm new here. First of all, great job!!

When I try to record at 60 fps, I put this value in Movie Menu in override in ML. It takes the value, but when I make the video, it is at 30 fps (maximum). Nothing happens. :( I've checked this with After Effects and it shows 30 fps.

Can I record at 60 fps? What values I need change?

PS: sorry for my English

dmilligan

1100D cannot do 60fps (FPS override is really only for making the FPS lower)

mad.eos

Since we're talking about video modes, what cbr setting is best for the 1100d with a class 10 SD card ;-)

karlitron

dmilligan thank you for your fast answer

dmilligan

Quote from: mad.eos on March 01, 2014, 12:30:28 AM
Since we're talking about video modes, what cbr setting is best for the 1100d with a class 10 SD card ;-)

The highest one you can find that doesn't cause recording to stop. Use a high ISO and a lot of movement to test this.

mad.eos

Oki doks! Thanks! I get a flickering white pixel sometimes, that's also why I asked, will test later ;-) recording also stops if I zoom, if the cbr is too high. I'll post some results soon.

mad.eos

I don't get it, it stopped at 2.3x CBR but I went up and up until 3.0x lot's of movement high iso zoom in and out constantly and... All ok.  What's the considered "over kill" value? ;-)

ieproductions

I have a Canon 1100D and have been trying to download the nightly build.  The most recent build (and all of them) don't have any .fir file.  I was able to find a .fir file in one of the discussion forums.  Every time I try to install it on my camera it can't find "fonts.dat" and will not proceed with installation.  Any help you can give?
Thanks!

dmilligan

See reply #1064 of this thread

cerbeld

Hi! Does anyone else experience the following bug with AETTR? Whenever i try to take a picture with AETTR the Shutter Speed decreases to the point when the picture is almost black and then it says " Expo limits reached". I tried different scenarios..some with low, high dynamic range, some in dark rooms or bright daylight.
What is it i'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

47Crows

Quote from: cerbeld on March 02, 2014, 09:03:28 PM
Hi! Does anyone else experience the following bug with AETTR? Whenever i try to take a picture with AETTR the Shutter Speed decreases to the point when the picture is almost black and then it says " Expo limits reached". I tried different scenarios..some with low, high dynamic range, some in dark rooms or bright daylight.
What is it i'm doing wrong?

So far, autoETTR is NOT yet supported in LiveView, because we're still lacking LV RAW support. However, you can do just that by using either of the first 2 modes (always and autosnap, NOT during LiveView): take a RAW pic and then the exposure will be automatically set as far as it should be to the right, after an "offline" analysis is done on the previously-taken image.

(Am I doing it right, guys?)

mad.eos

Ebrahim Saadawi

We are currently on the production phase of a short film, and just wanted to say that without you guys, this wouldn't have been possible. Manual exposure control brought life into our 3 1100D bodies available. So again, thank you! (Little Donation left- wish I could give more however)

a1ex

Screenshots should be working now (there should be no more memory issues here); have some fun stressing this function :D

Tip: you can see them in the camera with file_man + pic_view.