Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

Quote from: mad.eos on February 18, 2014, 01:19:49 PM
So... What is the sollution?
Finding the problem and fixing it. You can help find it.

Reset all canon settings, custom function settings, and ML settings (and disable all modules). Does it still happen? If not, then you should be able to narrow it down to a spefic set of settings and/or modules that are causing it. Start enabling things one by one until it happens. Please be as specific as you can, some small thing that you think is too insignificant to mention could be just the clue that a dev needed to diagnose/solve the problem.

If it still crashes with everything reset, try older builds and see if you can find one where this doesn't happen and then try to narrow it down to a specific build (use binary search).

mad.eos

Okay!

Thanks once more, I'll try later on resetting ALL Canon and ML settings. Yesterday I just tried to reset the ML setting and the problem persisted. As I said, this only happens in Movie Mode.  ::)
Canon EOS 1100D w/ 18-55mm | ML Nightly Build Tester

mad.eos

Found something kinda interssting. Shoot_malloc is the only one with 0 blocks allocated.  Don't know if this helps or if it's normal. I've reset all settings and even uninstalled ml and installed again,  still persists, am I the only one?  ::)

a1ex

Show us the screenshot.

Yes, shoot_malloc is used as a last resort.

mad.eos

Hi alex, we finally meet!  ;D

Screenshot not working :-(  it hangs...

a1ex

You may use a second camera in this case.

mad.eos

Here we go!

Taken by our old sx100is

a1ex

Ah, so the benchmark routine expects 2x16MB blocks, but you probably have only one.

I'd say limiting it to 8MB would have more chances to run the test.

mad.eos

Sooo... It's dev time?  :D Will this solve the freezing problems? And also, have you ever detected a flashing white pixel in a video which was recorded with cbr mode at 1.2x ;-)

nanomad

Does it freeze in movie mode with global draw OFF?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

mad.eos

Just tried it out, and yes, it freezes with global draw off as soon as I turn the camera off, shutter closes and screen freezes :-(

I've uninstalled ML for the time being, will be trying out everyday new Nightly Builds though ;) So still in the testing mood as allways, just don't want it to freeze on me in the field if you know what I mean  ???

Cheers and keep up the EXCELENTE work!!  :D

mad.eos

While driving to work today, (as always I'm wonder about enoumerous things...) I was wondering...

Is it possible CPU/MEM wise for our 1100D (T3) to process a 3 to 6 Frame HDR Picture Automatically via some module? Am I speaking some impossible nonsense or... Is it really possible?

Example: Select module_autohdr
Choose from 3 to 6 Exposure intervals, Point, Shoot and Process and Voilá! A HDR RAW!  :D

47Crows

Quote from: mad.eos on February 19, 2014, 04:30:15 PM
While driving to work today, (as always I'm wonder about enoumerous things...) I was wondering...

Is it possible CPU/MEM wise for our 1100D (T3) to process a 3 to 6 Frame HDR Picture Automatically via some module? Am I speaking some impossible nonsense or... Is it really possible?

Example: Select module_autohdr
Choose from 3 to 6 Exposure intervals, Point, Shoot and Process and Voilá! A HDR RAW!  :D

If I remember correctly, someone already asked this and the answer was something in the lines of: "we could, but we won't, because it's something you can do in post(-processing)"

However, anyone is free to write any module, so someone ought to get tired of manually creating HDRs.

That was for MAKING an HDR file. The auto-HDR sequence shooter (with frame number decider) already exists :D.

a1ex

You could implement the ZeroNoise algorithm, which is really easy (simply take the pixel from the brightest shot as long as it's not clipped). I expect it would take around 30 seconds or so on the camera (based on raw_diag processing times).

Or you could just batch-process with CeroNoice: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9581

mad.eos

The main idea is to have a preview of the HDR Picture in the field without going later on, on the PC and Post-Process it. I don't mind doing PP, it's just to not have the kind of situation that you get home from a photo shoot, after PP you see one or two pictures and go "Damnn... I Should of..."

You guys know what I mean, I don't want to be lazy, just precise! ;)

Do you guys also notice a white pixel flashing in video mode using the CBR method?  :-\

dmilligan

Quote from: mad.eos on February 18, 2014, 10:57:01 PM
I've uninstalled ML for the time being, will be trying out everyday new Nightly Builds though ;) So still in the testing mood as allways, just don't want it to freeze on me in the field if you know what I mean  ???
Just press SET on startup to not load ML

Have you tried older builds to see if there is one without this problem?

mad.eos

Thanks for the tip dmilligan!  ;) Will do!

How far should I go back? January? I'll try later on then and see if I can find which Nightly is the culprit, I'm just amazed that it only happens with me  ::)

Audionut

Quote from: mad.eos on February 19, 2014, 05:42:14 PM
"Damnn... I Should of..."

Taken 2 exposures 4 EV apart and called it a day.

mad.eos

Quote from: Audionut on February 19, 2014, 07:04:51 PM
Taken 2 exposures 4 EV apart and called it a day.

LOL! Good one Audionut... I have no argument to counter attack on that one!!  :-X    :P

But, wouldn't it be nice to have a preview? It was just an idea  ;)

dmilligan

Quote from: mad.eos on February 19, 2014, 07:04:10 PM
How far should I go back? January? I'll try later on then and see if I can find which Nightly is the culprit

If you do a binary search you should be able to go back 6 months and only have to check at most 8 builds.

Audionut

Quote from: mad.eos on February 19, 2014, 07:15:08 PM
But, wouldn't it be nice to have a preview? It was just an idea  ;)

Not really.  Raw histograms/zebras provide all of the exposure feedback needed.  These don't lie.  JPG based rendering on the LCD only looks pretty, it adds nothing useful with respect to exposure.

The highlight exposure is super easy, ETTR with raw based exposure feedback
The shadow exposure is simply a matter of increasing exposure 4 EV.

mad.eos

Okay, I'll analyze carefully my silly me ideas next time ;-)  anyway, I'll go back a few months and check if I can find the nightly culprit ;-)  i have to ask this again, sorry, white pixel flickering using cbr movie method, anyone else?

a1ex

Quote from: mad.eos on February 19, 2014, 08:42:07 PM
i have to ask this again, sorry, white pixel flickering using cbr movie method, anyone else?

Yes, I've noticed you are flooding with the same question 4 times.

mad.eos

Sorry alex,  felt that it kinda got lost in the middle there amongst other topics. 4x is a charme, sorry for the flood.

mad.eos

Okay then, in an attempt of being some what productive, I can say that the Nightly build from February 1st down, doesn't freeze anymore. So, these problems may occur on more recent Nightlys! I'm staying with this one for the time being, startup even seems snappier and the whole "messing around" seems more stable!  :)

Interesting facts:
.shoot_malloc now has 1 block and detects memory
.benchmark still shows shoot_malloc error (but who cares now that it won't hang anymore? still a fact though)
.screenshot works (yeeey)
.no freezes when I turn the camera off (got so happy I jumped up and "woohooed!")
.movie mode that I used was CBR @ 1.7x with a Cinema "effect" FPS @ 23.976  ;D
Video test can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRTPvZpHd1M&feature=youtu.be

Feast your eyes on ye' screen shot! arrg!  ;D

Edit: AND ... No flickering white pixel of death in movie! FWPOD be gone!!  :o

PS: Thanks for everybodys Help! ML Back online for me!  :D