Canon 1100D / T3

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FluidMovementMovies

Hi again nanomad,
I hope you can solve the flickering (the same as Arcanemon). Now it happens a lot more, and it's really annoying, I can't record anything with exposure override. I reinstalled ML, but it keeps happening. Please help, and thank you very much for your job and for your time.
Canon EOS 70D     |       Canon 18-55 EF f/4-5.6 II      |       Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM    |       Tokina 12-24 f/4           |          Canon 24-105 f/4

alband

Quote from: a1ex on February 02, 2013, 09:28:41 AM
Can you (or anyone else) record a video showing bug #2? I need to see the exact timing of events.

Been busy. Just tried to re-produce this and film it, and typically, it worked fine. (This is intervalometer with bulb ramping in JPEG). For now, I suppose we'll just assume I did something wrong before, and that it works fine. I don't think I did do anything wrong, but who knows. I'll keeo a look out for it, hopefully I'll have more opportunities to use it in the coming weeks.

Good stuff as always,
David.

ardhie

great job here, just waiting for this porting since first known about ML after bought my 1100D...

been used for view week since magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Jan07 nightly build, really it boost this tiny entry level camera!

For some reason, I try to turn on Cropmarks (it turns green when it's off and vice versa), and Spotmeter in live view with no luck, I think, thats the feature I'll use alot since I shoot mostly with old manual lens.

Hope this won't take any hard effort to make it happen, since spot metering and WhiteBalance with Kelvin is the most prominent lack of feature of 1100D beside above models, and I allready got my adjustable Kelvin WB,,,, ;)

francesco007

Wanna to join testing... Got some doubts about installing:
1. install properly the stable release of ML 2.3 on 1100d
2. after this delete this files on my SD card and replace with up-to-date nightly builts
3. run ML
Is that right? Am sorry for my low IT intelligence  :P

nanomad

With the 1100D you can go straight to the nightly since it's not supported in the stable release
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

francesco007

Thanks  :D Installation without problems... I appreciate your work over here. Need several days to test the focus stuff (for manual focus wide open aperture photography) and will report. For now I notice that zoom booton in regular play mode (to see and check photograph, its sharpness etc) is skiping the mezzo steps - after one touch immidiately to max. magnification.

thn-d

Heehee, I fell into the same trap!  8)
Just have a look in the ML menu, there is an item to change zoom behavior to the old style.

I'm using some January snapshot now for some time without problems on my 1100D, but I still had not enough time to play with the features, too bad. So most of the time I'm assuming that it's just my fault/stupidity...

One issue: I sometimes come here just to check if there's something new. The first posting in this thread changes veeery rarely, and the changelog.txt is hard to read. Am I right that although the 1100D port will stay in state "release candidate" as long as the 650D port is in work, just because the 650D has prio over it? If so, I can stop checking the homepage and the first posting to not miss the release anouncement, right?

(Or is the main reason for not announcing the 1100D port really what the first posting is saying: "The main issues that are holding ML are: Lack of phisical buttons"? In this case, I'll carefully watch my 1100D if someday new buttons magically appear.  ;)  )
Canon EOS 1100D   |   Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II   |   Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4,0-5,6 IS II

nanomad

The status is RC until there's a new release of ML :P
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Arcanemon

Hi again!
This weekend I'd been in an encounter and I made a lot of pics and videos, so it was a good chance to test the flickering and the aperture issue again.
This time I have borrowed an 18.135mm IS Canon Lenses and I got the same problems with the video,  I mean when I tried to close the aperture in the LiveView it never did it and if the camera tries then start to flicker, but when I used autofocus in LV the camera effectively close the aperture. Also I noticed that this happens also if I used Exp. Override in Manual Mode, but only if the LV is on.

I will try again a copy of the RC3 that I got of ML, cause as I remembered when I used before I didn't have this problems with the LiveView mode.

I'll report back

GingertronMk1

On the nightly build, it can't find the bootdisk flag. I don't know what's wrong, it's on manual, live view, etc.

nanomad

Are you talking about the fir?

GingertronMk1

Never mind, forgot to make the card bootable. Actually reading the installation guide helps.

kainpower

nanomad hello. After using avanced bracket, in the image review, does not work the option "image review --- canonMnu-> HoldPLAY".

and

ghost image is not working properly, a screen with noise

thanks

Arcanemon

Hi! Finally I tried the RC1 version of ML on my Canon 1100D.
But the flickering/aperture issue stills there. There is no change of what I experimented before.

Finally I have to post a experiment that I did. With exp.override of, I move the  Canon's exposure compensation system to a point where the aperture was at the lowest f point (f22 in 18mm  I mean), then I blocked it with the * button.
After that I set exp.override on, and the exposition values to the same that  I blocked before, it still doesn't work. The camera sets again the aperture to it's highest number (f3.5 in 18mm).

Are all of you sure that when you close the aperture of the lenses with the LiveViewon,  it works correctly?.
Can you upload a video of it?.

Thanks

FluidMovementMovies

Hi Nanomad. I've been filming this weekend and i found a problem. In exp.override, I can't control the aperture. I change it but it does not effect, the exposure doesn't changes.
Also, when I want to format the SD card, the camera says "shoot_malloc_error. Please reboot" but I can format it.
Is this an important error? Please help.

All in magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Feb16.60D.550D.600D.50D.500D.5D2.1100D nightly build.
Canon EOS 70D     |       Canon 18-55 EF f/4-5.6 II      |       Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM    |       Tokina 12-24 f/4           |          Canon 24-105 f/4

cerbeld

Hi everyone,

i have problems using the bulb ramping feature on my 1100D. It always says "The scene is not static" or keeps calibrating forever. Did anyone get this feature running?

Thanks!

a1ex

Post a video of the calibration sequence.

Crollo

I got this strictly for manual exposure in video and it works fine.
I don't know what you're doing wrong to get that exposure flickering, I only get that with HDR mode on. Try disabling everything except manual exposure and see if it still flickers.

Also, did you update firmware to latest?

Arcanemon

Hi Criollo!
As I commented in another post, I got the latest firmware version of Canon (1.0.5).
Also I disconnected everything except exp.override, but the problem stills there.
It seems that the problem is refered with the LiveView, cause when I used exp.override in Manual Mode or in other photo modes( except video) with the LiveView on, and I set the aperture of the lenses in a low value (f22 for example) it doesn't do anything, the picture is too bright ( yes I checked the shutter speed and ISO too), but when I took a photo, the photo is taken correctly.
However in video this doesn't happen, I got what I see from LiveView, so no matter how I tried to change the aperture that it doesn't do anything.

The flickering issue that we are mentioning, is that sometimes the camera realises that the aperture that you set (f22 again) is not the one which is showing in the LiveView so it change is to the correct value, but then turn back again to high f number (f3.5 for example), of course while doing this, you can hear a loud noise of the lenses "crying" what is no good.
This flickering doesn't happen everytime that you set a low f value, it only happens ocassionally especially when you move the camera to a highlight.

I hope that I got explained

Brand Brand

Greetings a1ex, nanomad and all Magic Lantern forum members. First off thanks to those whom make this brilliant firmware possible. To the administrators, If I may, I've got a quick question regarding the FPS override feature. Lets say I'd like to record a video clip at 24 fps with a shutter speed of 1/48 and a shutter angle of 180 degrees to help with the artificial interior light flickering, and to get that "cinematic effect"at an indoor event. Because internal audio will be disabled during the recording process when using the FPS override feature, I would have to use my external Zoom H1 microphone to capture audio. I would also have to use a clap board etc., to sync the video and audio in my NLE. My question is has there been any talk about enabling audio at the start of recording a small time frame of maybe 5 seconds or even less, then automatically disabling audio. That way the clap board sound can be used to sync the audio and video that will be captured internally into the Canon. I would then sync my internal captured Canon clap board sound audio and video with the clap board sound of my external Zoom H1 mic in my video editor. However, I would still have to use my external mic to capture audio for the duration of the video, but as you can see it will be a tremendous help to our editing workflow. If this has already been discussed in the forum I do apologize. Thanks.  8)
Canon EOS Rebel SL1/100D | Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D | EF 50mm III | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | EF-S 18-55mm IS II/ STM | EF-S 55-250mm IS II | Sima LED Camera Light | Zoom H1

Crollo

The only way I can recreate the flickering issue is set the FPS mode to low light instead of exact fps, or enable HDR video; I'm using a manual lens and not a automatic diaphragm lens so the camera cannot control the aperture.

alband

I'm about to update to the latest build. Got some crash logs and some other logs (7 in total). They're from the 20th Jan build?
Do you guys want them or are they too old to be of any use? The crashes happened straight after boot. I took out the battery and started up again and all was well. Never a perminant problem.

Thanks for ML!

David

a1ex

Post them; there were no startup changes that I can think of.

alband

Just the crash logs (4) or the other "logs" as well (presumably for HDRs?). If the other .log files are for HDRs, I've had no trouble with HDR.

How do I attach them? When I click "Attachments and other options" I just get 3 checkboxes. If it's just the crash logs, I can probably just copy and post them.

nanomad

You can use a file sharing service like https://mega.co.nz/