Canon 5D Mark III

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yvan

I encounter sometimes little bugs on the size of the frame when using external monitor (hdmi output)
Up and down of the frame, some ghost black lines go over the real size of the frame. Need to restart and not always clean... Also, difficulties when a card is full to be abble to insert a new one (need to remove battey).
Yvan

a1ex

How to reproduce? (more details please)

yvan

I have a 4go CF with ML on it and by mistake, I forgot to insert the sd (for shooting). Then, after the full card warning, I try to insert the sd but can't remove the warning without pull out battery. (not sure it comes from ML or canon firmware, have to make test...
For the hdmi output, when I start the camera, the screen is not often clean, I found a solution by shortly shut off and on without loosing the ML loading.
Also, this morning, I had a freeze after the new 12mn splitting of the mark III, need to remove the battery to stop the camera...
Sincerely
Yvan

a1ex

I still don't understand what the problems are or how to reproduce them.

http://freecode.com/articles/how-to-report-bugs-effectively

Lcrusher

Just fill up your CF card until you get the no space warning and insert an SD card.

nanomad

Does it happen with canon's firmware?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Lcrusher

I'll check as soon as I find an SD card.

EDGERIDER

according to a very reliable contact @ canon, I was wrong : the only Hardware difference from a 1Dc and  a 1Dx is the sync pc port (for the flash).
there is no extra hardware for cooling or so...
It is a firmware limitation to go around the 30mn limit to a camera not to be taxed as a "video equipment" in europe (and surely also a way to make a good extra margin on top of an otherwise stock 1Dx) so it means a very good thing to us :
1 DIGIC V can handle 2K or 1080P50 if 2 DIGIC V can handle 4K. but even more = IT IS CAPABLE OF DOING CLEAN FULL HD THRU HDMI JUST LIKE A D800.... sometime I'm wondering what is wrong with those people who are limiting there own stuff on purpose.....

a1ex

Any digic is capable of clean hdmi, the question is how to do it.

EDGERIDER

that is wher the 1Dc firmware should come handy  ;)

AndreasK

I see you guys are already discussing this argument :) http://www.eoshd.com/content/9044/exclusive-canon-confirm-1d-c-4k-dslr-is-same-hardware-as-the-1d-x

Yes 4k may not be possible on the 5D3 but maybe a firmware analysis of the 1DC will show how to make clean hdmi and maybe 1080p60/50 ?
Isn't the hdmi 4:2:2 on the 1Dc also ?

Marsu42

Quote from: AndreasK on September 21, 2012, 09:08:04 AM
Yes 4k may not be possible on the 5D3 but maybe a firmware analysis of the 1DC will show how to make clean hdmi and maybe 1080p60/50 ?

I'd be amazed if Canon didn't take some countermeasures to port 1dc features to the 1dx or even 5d3, they'll loose a lot of money if it would be done... though no harm trying I guess.

a1ex

QuoteJust fill up your CF card until you get the no space warning and insert an SD card.

Did that a couple of times, with all ML options enabled, no problems.

joxxie

a1ex .. have you begun exploring for increasing bit rates or clean hdmi out ?

a1ex

Is stability less important than those?!

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on September 23, 2012, 08:45:40 AM
Is stability less important than those?!

At the moment, from what I've reading on "Canon Rumors" I'd definitely opt for stability before features before usability/beauty, many people still seem to be concerned that the ml "hack" voids their warranty (Canon dealer's fud) or bricks their investment. Usability should be the main focus when the new menu system/look is implemented (Magic Lantern 3.0?).

PS: Esp. the 5d3 and 7d are more professional cameras with a userbase that won't be very thrilled to play guinea pigs because they could loose money if it their camera breaks or doesn't do what they'd expect it to do.

a1ex

That's what I'm thinking too. I have at least 5 lockup reports for 5D3, and I've experienced a few ones during development with the full feature set enabled, but nothing that I can reproduce.

To solve these things, I don't see other way than posting a few versions with even less features, and see which ones crash and which ones don't. This might provide a hint for what is causing trouble.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on September 23, 2012, 12:54:03 PM
To solve these things, I don't see other way than posting a few versions with even less features, and see which ones crash and which ones don't. This might provide a hint for what is causing trouble.

I can't help because I don't have a 5d3, and even if I'd be hesitant to use a €3000 camera with alpha ml - with my 2y old 60D that has 100k shutters it's different now.

My opinion: Take your time, most people will understand debugging these things w/o a tethered software debugger or eos simulator is extremely time-consuming and annoying. There has never been an announcement for the ml 5d3 release date, and every time some posts "it's here soon" I reply "not necessarily".

dude

Of course it should run stable at first!
We now have Peaking and Zebras with the Alpha, so there s no need for any external Monitor.
That s a big step for the mkiii!!!

I think there is a lot of room for playing with the bitrate and codec on the mkiii, so optimizing this would seperate it from all other dslrs. especially the gh3, imagine a canon dslr with almost the same sharp picture.
And a clean hdmi out for professional use.
I think these are the most important things to have a eye on after ml runs staple.

Like i postet, used the alpha for 3 hours on a job, it only hung up 1 time.

a1ex

Quote...used the alpha for 3 hours on a job, it only hung up 1 time.

And I've used ML 2.3 on 5D2 for two weeks, around 3-5 hours daily, and had zero problems.

The infinite stress test seems to reveal something (sometimes it locks up after half an hour or so). However, without tester help, it will probably take weeks or months to diagnose this...

yvan

Thank Alex for the bug report manual, as I'm beginner on this forum, I'll try to be more precise on the problems I encountered when I'll finish my job. I'm shooting in that time a documentary on harvest and I can tell I can't work without an external hdmi monitor (alphatron evf 035 http://www.alphatron.tv/evf.html ) because the 5D is often at the level of my knees hanged on an home made "steady". The focus peaking of the alphatron is absolutely unusable compare to ML
Congratulation for your amazing work.
Yvan

GUF

I donated almost two weeks ago and I STILL cannot access the 5D3 ML link! What gives?

I was hoping to be able to have it up and running by this weekend.
:-[

Access granted.  Thank you!   :D :D :D

a1ex

AndreasK

Looks good, but in theory it's still ghosting when moving to fast, right ?

a1ex

Of course. But afaik the 5D3 does proper downsampling at 720p, so with a little care, the results should be pretty good.