Canon 5D Mark III

Started by a1ex, June 14, 2012, 04:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tferradans

That's awesome! I was really missing focus peaking and zebras. :P

spencerbenjamin

There's been some talk elsewhere that even having an SD card in its slot also slows down the speed of the CF card, so would this affect any ability to record in higher bit rates?

a1ex

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=7600.45

Seems to be a urban legend. I'll run some benchmarks.

Edit: ran benchmarks, it's urban legend. I'll include the benchmark code in the first alpha, so you can try for yourself.

palinka

Hello all !
if ML works on a mark3 is there a link with a possibilitie of installing it for the 650d or it's a totally another kind of development ?
Tell me if you know... and thanks for your work ! :)
Musician, Guitar gypsy jazz player,  600d player also... Royalty free music : www.musicincloud.com - gypsy jazz: www.palinka.fr - french: www.danielb.fr

nanomad

Screen issues aside, the possibility is there but we can't do much without a firmware update or other means to fake it
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

spencerbenjamin

Quote from: a1ex on September 07, 2012, 08:02:06 AM

Edit: ran benchmarks, it's urban legend. I'll include the benchmark code in the first alpha, so you can try for yourself.

Well that's nice to know - I'll put my SD card back in. Thanks!

a1ex

For testers: here's what you will have to fill out: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFRxbGZlUHYyOHB6SDZWZFVpUlVRTUE6MA#gid=0

Please don't fill it right now, I've only posted it so you can review the questions and maybe come up with other suggestions.

EDGERIDER

the 1DX and the 1Dc run on twin Digic 5+ and only the 1Dc can do 4K MJPEG or 1080P60, I guess the real challenge is to get the firmware of the 1Dc and to see what is the difference ... they have reworked the 1Dc for massive heat dissipation, witch lead me to think that maybe they also run the processor at a higher clock speed.

I can have my hand on a 1Dc quite easily so if you explain me how to do a backup of the firmware I can try to send it to you... to see what are the difference that allow such cool things !!!

here they say that only one processor do the writing to both card :
http://thenewcamera.com/?p=8403

I dont know how accurate the schema is but, if it is correct, ONE digic 5 can handle TWO different card at full CF speed (2X150Mb/s) so technically the processor on the 5D MKIII writting data at 150 Mb/s on a UDMA 7 CF card is only doing 50% off it's ability. (after all a 5D MKIII can write on TWO separate card with ONE digic5+)

I am pretty confidant that the 5DMKIII can do 720P120, 1080P60 and 2K.P25. the matter is not what the camera can do but what the camera can write... Doing 422 MJPEG is way less intensive on processor power than H264 would be, but is doing heavier file.

Outputting 150 Mb/s for a long period will get the camera very hot quite fast.... but for small run it might not be an issue... and the one that need to record longer clip have the money to buy a 1Dc.

my main concern would be to get 1080P60 and 720P120 as it would just help me so much in action sport.
Event if 150 Mb/s is Si-Fi and 110-120 Mb/s is more like what real world fig gives you... that gives enough bandwidth to get good 1080P60

I definitively agree that ML should be on a small write-locked SD and the recorded video should go on CF.

just for fun and for those who like Time-lapse here is a Time-lapse of 140 000 tilt and shift stills that I have done for Disney with my colleague Daniel Meyer :
http://youtu.be/xFpSrXJWITY
I would love to get those time-lapse bulb-ramp fonction on the 5DMKIII.

Queep going : you guys rule !

nanomad

I bet the issue with the 1Dc is the same as the 7D: there are two digic processors and we don't know how to handle them.
If you stumble across a firmware update for the 1Dc sendi it to a1ex anyway, you never know :P
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Quote4K MJPEG

Would be really cool to back-port this even at 1080p or 720p.

Quotethey also run the processor at a higher clock speed.

And this too... I bet DigicIV has some overclock wiggle room.

nanomad

The overclock idea is quite interesting, I'll dig out my DSLinux stuff and see if we ever investigated that area.

ilguercio

Overclocking? Ha ha, this is interesting :D
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

1%

I've overclocked other arm stuff (openwrt, phones, soc) and haven't had too many problems with it. Just should make sure regular users don't go crazy and make the arm not boot. Also should try to raise clocks for the SD slot somehow. maybe can get more than 50mhz... shouldn't bother a UHS-1 card.  That extra 5MB/s from camera might be nice. Only problem I'd see is data corruption if it doesn't like it.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/classic/arm9/arm946.php

Max Clock  441 (speed optimised)  /  230mhz (area optimised) wonder where we're at.

g3gg0

Quote from: EDGERIDER on September 07, 2012, 02:27:28 PM
just for fun and for those who like Time-lapse here is a Time-lapse of 140 000 tilt and shift stills that I have done for Disney with my colleague Daniel Meyer :

just one word: wow!

about overclocking: the last time i looked at the registers, they looked as if there was no chance to increase the cpu speed.
we might win more, if we were able to allocate enough ram for copying firmware there and the chance to remap flash memory address to this RAM.
a speedup up to factor 2 could be possible for code execution.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

1%

Shoot_malloc and patch out where canon messes with it.

g3gg0

yeah, but then still a way of remapping flash is missing :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Arturo Sánchez

Alex do you think that is possible the implementation of the canon c log? Like the c100,c300 and 1dC

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on September 07, 2012, 05:55:36 PM
And this too... I bet DigicIV has some overclock wiggle room.

This is proven by Canon: The 1dx uses the same af and cpu, but is faster than the 5d3 due to "higher voltage".

my main concern would be to get 1080P60 and 720P120 as it would just help me so much in action sport.

... and hdr video! At least continuous 1080p/50 would be stellar, well for us PAL users that is :-)

3pointedit

Won't overclocking just shut down a camera due to heat more quickly?  :o
550D on ML-roids

Chucho

the 1DX and the 1Dc run on twin Digic 5+ and only the 1Dc can do 4K MJPEG or 1080P60, I guess the real challenge is to get the firmware of the 1Dc and to see what is the difference ... they have reworked the 1Dc for massive heat dissipation, witch lead me to think that maybe they also run the processor at a higher clock speed.

I honesty think that the 1Dx and 1Dc are more alike then anybody thinks. I don't think the 1Dc processor is any more faster then the 1Dx. If you look at the spec of both cameras there exactly the same the only difference is the clean HDMI and the 4k mode. I think the main difference is the firmware. That why the 1Dx is out and has a firmware update and the 1Dc is not out yet. My guess is there still tweaking the firmware. You may be able to dump the 1Dc firmware with a modded 1Dx updater. You may also want to decrypt the 1Dx updater and see if you can find any trace of a mjpeg encoder. I've seen some raw 4k mjpeg .mov samples files and I can say its not true 4k is more like 2k footage. But again this was a pre-production 1Dc. Maybe if you can get a picture taking with a 1Dc a model id number can be parse from it.

1%

I'd settle for 2k 4:2:2 MJPEG,I think it would be an improvement. Hopefully not limited to digic V only. 5dIII encoder already different.

Chucho

One more thing about the 1Dc, the heat issue. The 1Dc is the first true video based dslr. All dslr have heating issues but there main use are for still pictures. The 1Dc is marketed as a video camera and there doing there best to eliminate this issue. The 1Dx should be able to do anything the 1Dc can do, the only thing would be it would have the same heating issues as all the others dslr.
Now back to the topic. 1%, I notice the different encoder I also notice there is no mjpeg decoder.

Alex, your truly a mad doctor. Dr. Frankenstein would be proud. Your creating a true beast.

1%

I think mjpeg is new to 1dc so we need 1dc dump first. Hopefully its in software not in digic V itself... at the least we find out how they did it. Maybe canon is looking in on us, would be foolish of them not to....

EDGERIDER

more voltage = more heat...
the 1Dc and the 1DX are indeed different on a hardware basis. I've alredy played with pre-prod sample and i can tell you that there is some minor tweak on the 1DC (for example the flash synchronization PC port has been replaced by a stéréo headphone jack) also the same battery last at least 20% less time on the 1DC.
sorry for my low software knowledge...
next week I will have my hands on a 1DX and a 1DC for a couple of hour, how can i get the firmware out from them without briking the camera?
would that help you guys?

nanomad

Eheh, good question. The answer is that you probably can't right now. Try getting in touch with a1ex. I don't even know if somone has ever tried porting ML to a 1D series camera.