What's the difference (modul) raw_rec vs raw_rec ML ?

Started by pianogirl, January 17, 2014, 07:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianogirl

Hi

I have two types of recording: Raw video (ML) and Raw video... in my ML menu

what's the difference?
Please help.

gary2013

The raw is the original raw only recording. The MLV is the new file system being developed with extra information being saved with the raw. I think there are hopes of it being a standard that manufacturers will take notice, like Adobe, so we could then import the MLV into their apps. Someone else here can probably be more specific on the subject or correct me. There is an MLV browser app available on here and we can now see a playback in the camera using MLV (but it is slow, not real time).

I use MLV now to see new features. There is no harm using either one. You need raw2dng.exe to extract raw and mlv2dng.exe for the MLV files.
http://acoutts.com/a1ex/raw2dng.exe
http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/09852505c6c352fdaf7fe4eddec48788/MLVViewSharp.zip

pianogirl

Thanks a lot!
So I can use only RAW Recording? without MLV?

gary2013

Quote from: pianogirl on January 17, 2014, 08:25:12 PM
Thanks a lot!
So I can use only RAW Recording? without MLV?
yes. you choose one or the other to record. you need a raw2dng.exe to extract the DNG file sequence from the raw file you shoot. there are a few different raw2dng apps out there. Alex made a few that I use that do some additional things. such as   raw2dng_cs2x2_ahdlike_noise.exe

If you choose MLV, you need an MLV2DNG app to extract the DNG files. MLVBrowseSharp app can do that. You can search on ML to find these things or maybe someone else here can give you a link to help you.

Then you need something like After Effects to open the DNG sequences to do a first grade, noise reduction and save as a new TIF sequence. You can also use Speedgrade or Resolve. I sometimes just drag all the DNG files of a sequence into Pgtotshop and the ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) will pop up so you can do a first grade and then save them all out as TIF files to edit in your NLE.

A lot of steps involved to get it to a timeline to edit.  :)

pianogirl

Thanks, but which raw record modul is better ? I mean better quality of the image?

arturochu

Quality wise its exactly the same, but for now i prefer the old raw rec module cause its easier to process, at the moment i dont really need all the extra metadata of the mlv raw one.
Chu

demetrisag

Mlv is slower right? I mean because of all those metadata?

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: demetrisag on January 30, 2014, 03:26:31 PM
Mlv is slower right? I mean because of all those metadata?

All them metadatas I don't think will effect speed.

I think they function slightly differently and I ultimately assume MLV is trying to be made to be faster than RAW.

Audionut

AFAIK, MLV is slightly slower, probably not noticeable in the real world unless the difference of a few frames is show stopping.

If you have a camera with multiple card slots, MLV is the one you want for speed.