6D Dual Iso and more DR hack?

Started by philbird, January 17, 2014, 06:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

I usually don't get raw_error, just missing black level data. But the histogram shows ettr and white level is detected. I'll turn on the debug and see since zebras still work, etc.

Levas

Quote from: dmilligan on January 18, 2014, 05:33:50 PM
the answer to your question is the post right above yours:

let me translate that for you: it doesn't work on the 6D, somebody needs to fix the backend *cough* 1%

Thanks for the translation, those where 3 long sentences in that post to just say it doesn't work on a 6d and 600d  ;)

1%

delta.gain = -97
calibrated.gain.100 = -24
calibrated.gain.200 = -33
calibrated.gain.400 = -39
calibrated.gain.800 = -41
calibrated.gain.1600 = -43
calibrated.gain.3200 = -51
calibrated.gain.6400 = -52
calibrated.gain.12800 = -123

If I keep the reference white 15268 I get these values. ISO 128K is fake according to dual ISO adtg so maybe that is what is throwing it off. Problem is that its not consistent. White level in raw digger says 15070. In my tests I'm missing over saturation on the green channel so maybe that is what some of the problem is too.

If you remember in 6D (raw.c) we did this

#ifdef CONFIG_6D
#undef WHITE_LEVEL
#define WHITE_LEVEL 13000
#endif

So either its wrong and white level is actually 15k or something is up elsewhere. The "raw error" happens when the state object misses and then you get no overlays or raw info, once in a whiiiiiile. I'll have to test some more to see why the 2 graphs don't work in raw_debug.

Also checked with raw_debug
W/L 15330
W/L 8998, with mini ISO

a1ex

White level is autodetected, it doesn't care about the definitons in raw.c. Bad pixels (if they are really severe) may be tricky; I have some sort of filter.

If the image is not really overexposed, it may get tricked and estimate a value higher than normal. So, I would check again ISO 100 (maybe with a higher exposure time). Also check with a manual lens, because Canon plays some tricks at large apertures like f1.4.

I got raw error on 5D3 when pressing half-shutter very quickly after taking a picture (that is, when it tried to run when the image was no longer there).

When you check the white level, make sure you set the gain at the calibrated value. That one should be the sweet spot.

1%

Ok, so that define doesn't matter.

Also I think I'm off by 10px I think on the overlays. I see a tint tiny line of noise and that will throw things off?

height = 3708-12;
skip_top = 38; // DCRAW
= 3658
Raw digger says height = 3648.

I only used a F4-5.6 so maybe I should throw it on a dumb extension tube and point outside instead of a light.

Tried to get the shot like this:

http://imgur.com/Poax9nz

a1ex

As long as the little rectangle covers only the bright part of the light bulb, it's fine.

For skip offset, the best way is to save the DNG (define RAW_DEBUG_DUMP in raw.c), develop it with dcraw -E, and count the border pixels from this image. Sometimes the buffer address does not match what gets saved in the CR2 (it may be off by a few lines/columns).

To check skip_left, take a overexposed picture (with the overexposed part touching the left side) and a dark frame. Compare the stdev reported by raw_diag (should be nearly identical, say +/- 0.1). If the skip value is too big, stdev will be higher in the bright image. If it's too small, raw zebra will have a dark line near the edge.

1%

Left appears good, no lines, everything is aligned. For top tried 48 and then 58, it got rid of the line and now all graphs work!!!

So now I should try a better test of the correction. Looking through the shots, some of the ISO 100 did have pink highlights.

And for 500D/600D/etc not getting the graphs means the offsets could be wrong by a tiny bit.

Black mean iso 800, 2048, stdev 7.46 DR 10.792... now how to get these to auto screenshot.

I took a white frame and then a black frame. STdev was 7.33 and 7.34 so left should be right.

delta.gain = -33
calibrated.gain.100 = -37
calibrated.gain.200 = -34
calibrated.gain.3200 = -52
calibrated.gain.6400 = -56
calibrated.gain.12800 = -156

New chart on an even more over exposed shot. This time it was pretty consistent, the ISO 200 is odd, maybe another run? Would iso 256k produce -256?

a1ex

Download the stuff again, I've added the screenshot trick today.

500D is OK now, was a typo in the offsets in raw_diag. 600D just keeps saying raw error.

1%

a1ex

Transplanted, can you try the calibration for it?

1%

I tried EOSM and the diag module works (with graphs) but mini doesn't load. For 600D I have to download the repo and build it then merge up. Its not on this laptop :(

I'll get on it.

a1ex

Yeah, mini doesn't load because i don't have the addresses yet.

The big trouble with EOS M: is there any way to disable the LiveView completely?

If yes, it's easy. Fire up ADTG GUI, with LV disabled (if such thing exists), and find the default value for register 8882 (it's in the known register list) at ISO 100.

The thing is that ADTG GUI will also intercept the value in LV (which is not the one i'm looking for).

Then, look it up in a RAM dump (if ADTG value is say 0x415, lookup 0x88820415 (little endian) and write up the address. This is an array with register values at each ISO (100, 125, 160, 200 and so on). Write down the address and default value for 8882nnnn at ISO 100, 125, 160 and 12800. That's it.

The spacing between two ISOs is likely 24 bytes (so far, the only exception was 5D3 with 48 bytes).

For reference, on 6D it's at 0x417443F4 and on 600D it's at 0x403D384c.

1%

Nope, no way to turn off LV completely but the photo regs only seem to crop up in the log when you take a pic. May not be true for the gain but was for dual ISO.

Well good news is 600D is working.

Marsu42

Quote from: dmilligan on January 18, 2014, 05:33:50 PM
let me translate that for you: it doesn't work on the 6D, somebody needs to fix the backend *cough* 1%

The trick itself works, the calibration doesn't which of curse makes it worthless unless you're very good at guessing...

Quote from: 1% on January 18, 2014, 11:41:04 PM
Well good news is 600D is working.

So the 600d fix doesn't help for 6d :-o ? And is debugging raw.c as alex requested still current - as far as I can read it 1% is no at it and we other 6d users better wait a little as duplicating debugging is a waste of time?

Audionut

Quote from: Marsu42 on January 19, 2014, 03:17:38 PM
and we other 6d users better wait a little as duplicating debugging is a waste of time?

You could debug and describe your findings.  You might miss something in the process that another might see, and vice-versa.

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on January 19, 2014, 03:28:54 PM
You could debug and describe your findings.  You might miss something in the process that another might see, and vice-versa.

Sure, but given the very limited time I currently have to work on and for ML I'd rather do something no one else currently is doing, if any I'd rather do some more tweaks to my auto_iso module - that's why I'd like to know if 1% (or someone else) has taken it upon him/her to get mini_iso to the 6d.

1%

I put up another 6D build yesterday when I got rid of the extra pixels at the top. So the calibration works now as far as I can tell. 600D was missing a state object so it should be working in main.

Levas

Quote from: 1% on January 19, 2014, 07:17:04 PM
I put up another 6D build yesterday when I got rid of the extra pixels at the top. So the calibration works now as far as I can tell. 600D was missing a state object so it should be working in main.

Do you mean that we can use the raw_diag module with 6d now ?
Cause I tried, but I probably don't know how to use it.
Find the option in the debug menu to put RAW Diagnostics on, analysis: Optical black and auto screenshot on.
I'll take a photo and then what ?

a1ex

Do you have picture quality set to RAW and image review enabled in Canon menu?

1%

Levas

Quote from: a1ex on January 19, 2014, 09:21:16 PM
Do you have picture quality set to RAW and image review enabled in Canon menu?

Hmm. I've got image review disabled (never use that function...), turn it on...
Aha, there's the graph and numbers... I never would have guessed it would rely on image review, thanks.

Marsu42

Quote from: Levas on January 19, 2014, 10:13:39 PM
I never would have guessed it would rely on image review, thanks.

A lot of the recent ML functions seem to rely on image review as this is the situation when ML is able to analyze the picture and tell that a picture has been taken at all ... so when in doubt try with it on.

1%

enabled = 1
calibrated.gain.100 = -37
calibrated.gain.200 = -34
calibrated.gain.3200 = -52
calibrated.gain.6400 = -56
calibrated.gain.12800 = -156

This is how it did through a dumb extender tube. It does seem to be lowering the stdev and increasing DR if you take 1 pic with mini ISO and one without.

a1ex

This one is good, all checksums passed.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on January 20, 2014, 08:41:50 PM
This one is good, all checksums passed.

Ok, so the 6d gains a little less than 5d3 which seems reasonable since the 6d has more "default" dr ... but -156@12800?!