6D Dual Iso and more DR hack?

Started by philbird, January 17, 2014, 06:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbird

I just read the news about the increased DR.
Thats incredible and everyone working on that has my deepest appreciation!

But as a newby i dont really know how to implement it in current status of tragic lantern fpr my 6D.

Could anyone give me a hint?

Greetings

dmilligan

1%

Its not finished for 5DIII yet even. Wait till its out and testable there at least.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on January 17, 2014, 09:51:44 PM
Its not finished for 5DIII yet even. Wait till its out and testable there at least.

I wrote alex the correct addresses, and mini_iso.mo works ... the problem is that the 6d raw backend seems to be broken (tried my own compiles and the TL Jan nightly, even reset the settings to default): calibration always stops at the first -1ev step while it *should* continue iterating until it has found the sweet spot. The raw_diag module also fails with "raw err", I dunno.

1%, can you try it on your 6d and create a mini_iso.cfg file? I'm currently out of ideas. Here's the link to the dev module binaries:

edit by Audionut:  Binaries removed.

1%

Yea, that hasn't been released on my end so I haven't been able to try it or see what/why is broken.

Tried the rawdiag module and only get the white level and blank graph but no error.

The dark frame works but I can't take a screenshot in the QR screen.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on January 18, 2014, 12:13:21 AM
Yea, that hasn't been released on my end so I haven't been able to try it or see what/why is broken.

Did you try if the mini_iso.mo results in anything else than -1ev calibration on your 6d builds? Remembering what you wrote before, the raw stuff miraculously seems to work better on your compiles than mine, I have no idea why. I've pm'ed you the link to the module again in case you've missed the window of opportunity.

Greg

Quote from: 1% on January 18, 2014, 12:13:21 AM

Tried the rawdiag module and only get the white level and blank graph but no error.

The dark frame works but I can't take a screenshot in the QR screen.

It looks like on the 500D (I click "screenshot - 10s" and took a picture)?

Optical black:

Dark frame :

SNR curve:

1%

That's how mine looks... when I hit erase I get "Delete?". The calibration ran, says gain -2.48ev at iso 800. It changes when I change ISO.

Audionut

You can calibrate each ISO step.  Make sure the scene is VERY overexposed before running calibration.

The default values are what a1ex gets on his 5D3.  Mine are,

-40, -44, -46, -45, -44, -49, -55, -58

1%

Ok, ran it on random stuff so its probably not calibrated right. The first actual ISO was 42. I'll do it properly and see what happens.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on January 18, 2014, 01:00:38 AM
Ok, ran it on random stuff so its probably not calibrated right. The first actual ISO was 42. I'll do it properly and see what happens.

That's great, at least you're not getting iso 50 (-1ev) all the time like I did with my builds, just be sure to blow *all* channels sky high. Your task now :-) is to calibrate each full stop iso, and then send the module cfg file to alex (or post it here as code), it'll then get hardcoded into the module as default.

Audionut

Quote from: 1% on January 18, 2014, 01:00:38 AM
The first actual ISO was 42.

a1ex had -37.  Not sure why it would be different.

Quote from: Marsu42 on January 18, 2014, 01:03:27 AM
just be sure to blow *all* channels sky high.

Yes, this is very important else the results will be borked.

1%

Yep, its evening here so I was able to do ISO 800 and 3200 but not 100.

Audionut

It doesn't matter if its blurry, or the shutter speed.  I've calibrated mine fine with a 4 second shutter ;-)

1%

delta.gain = -100
calibrated.gain.100 = -100
calibrated.gain.800 = -124
calibrated.gain.3200 = -52

This is what I got from the 4" exposure at ISO 100. I need to do a proper one but its not crashing at the least.

Audionut

I would try it manually and see if you can make the white level drop.  I deleted my local copy of the code and a1ex has removed it from his dropbox, so I can't look to see if it's something simple.  Doubtful if I would be able to though, marsu42 is better at coding then I.

A "proper" calibration is one where all the channels are saturated.  Doesn't matter what's in the scene, as long as it's blown!  I point mine at the TV handheld.

1%

Ok, I'll try a proper one but right now busy ATM.

philbird

I love reading your stuff, although i dont understand a word:)

Always love to see all your afforts! Thanks a lot guys!

1%

This is what it looks like. 1" exposure at a light. The higher ISOs were more completely blown out:

delta.gain = -121
calibrated.gain.100 = -36
calibrated.gain.200 = -33
calibrated.gain.400 = -39
calibrated.gain.800 = -41
calibrated.gain.1600 = -43
calibrated.gain.3200 = -52
calibrated.gain.6400 = -3
calibrated.gain.12800 = -121

Audionut

Still looks a bit funky.  I wouldn't expect ISO 200 to have a lower negative gain value (although I don't have a large sample base to compare from), and ISOs 6400-12800 look completely borked.

Audionut

Quote from: Greg on January 18, 2014, 12:52:20 AM
Optical black:

If you guys are getting borked results from the optical black, I'd say that's where your problem would be.

The source for raw_diag is here.

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on January 18, 2014, 03:42:36 AM
Still looks a bit funky.  I wouldn't expect ISO 200 to have a lower negative gain value (although I don't have a large sample base to compare from), and ISOs 6400-12800 look completely borked.

I agree, but at the same time the 6d sensor is the newest generation so Canon might have done some tweaks giving unexpected results with the current test module. Unfortunately, given the fact that the raw part of TL is rather dodgy, it's very hard to say what the problem is and alex cannot help here :-\ ... 1%: are these results at least reproduceable?

a1ex

One has to diagnose raw_update_params() from raw.c and see why it's returning 0. That's the cause of "Raw error" from raw_diag.

You can define RAW_DEBUG in raw.c, which will print a bunch of debug messages. These may give some clues.

This problem affects 6D and 600D so far.

Levas

Quote from: Audionut on January 18, 2014, 03:57:32 AM
If you guys are getting borked results from the optical black, I'd say that's where your problem would be.

The source for raw_diag is here.

Got the raw_diag.mo and loaded it on my 6d.
But how do you use it, found the option RAW Diagnostics in the debug menu, and put it "on". also auto screenshot is "on".
Now I take a picture and nothing happens(besides taking the picture) no extra info on the screen and no trace of a screenshot on the memory card ?

dmilligan

Quote from: Levas on January 18, 2014, 05:11:32 PM
But how do you use it

the answer to your question is the post right above yours:

Quote from: a1ex on January 18, 2014, 10:09:51 AM
One has to diagnose raw_update_params() from raw.c and see why it's returning 0. That's the cause of "Raw error" from raw_diag.

You can define RAW_DEBUG in raw.c, which will print a bunch of debug messages. These may give some clues.

This problem affects 6D and 600D so far.

let me translate that for you: it doesn't work on the 6D, somebody needs to fix the backend *cough* 1%