Latest ML Firmware 2.3 didn't take in 5DMKII

Started by harpervl, January 16, 2014, 10:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harpervl

I just installed the new ML firmware 2.3 into my 5DMKII.  The green screen says install complete.  However, when I turn the camera off and remove the CF card with that had the ML firmware update on it and turn the camera back on, the ML firmware update does not show.  It shows the latest Canon firmware update that I had installed just prior to doing the ML update.  When I put the CD card back with the ML firmware file on it back in the camera, then the firmware shows up in my menu as the ML update.
For some reason, the ML update does not seem to stay in the camera software when I remove the CF card with that file on it.
Any ideas what could be the problem.
Virgil L Harper

Audionut

Read the manual.  After you install the ML firmware (which just sets the boot flag), you need the autoexec.bin and other ML files on the card.

Bonus points for posting a dupe question in the dupe question section though.

harpervl

Those two files you mentioned are already on the CF card.  Are there special steps regarding those two files or do they automatically install?
Virgil L Harper

walter_schulz

"Read the manual." doesn't ring a bell for you?

harpervl

I apologize if I seem a little dense in this matter. I have gone over the install instructions a number of times.  The files are all on the disk.  The green screen said the firmware download was successful.  The instructions say I can restart the camera which I do.  The autoexec.bin file is on the card but there is nothing that instructs me to do another step.  There is a bootflag message at the bottom.  Can't seem to find any written instructions about what to do regarding that.

Not looking to irritate you folks.  Just stuck on finalizing this update.
Virgil L Harper

ayshih

Quote from: harpervl on January 16, 2014, 10:59:01 PM
I just installed the new ML firmware 2.3 into my 5DMKII.  The green screen says install complete.  However, when I turn the camera off and remove the CF card with that had the ML firmware update on it and turn the camera back on, the ML firmware update does not show.  It shows the latest Canon firmware update that I had installed just prior to doing the ML update.  When I put the CD card back with the ML firmware file on it back in the camera, then the firmware shows up in my menu as the ML update.
For some reason, the ML update does not seem to stay in the camera software when I remove the CF card with that file on it.
Any ideas what could be the problem.

There is no problem; this is correct behavior.

You have a misconception about what the firmware update actually does.  All it does is turn on the boot flag, which tells the camera to go to the CF card if it is bootable and boot from the autoexec.bin file.  That is the only change to the camera itself, and no Magic Lantern code is actually installed to the camera.

To be able to run Magic Lantern, the camera needs to boot with a CF card that has autoexec.bin and the ML directory, otherwise it has no access to the custom code.  If the CF card lacks those files, or if you leave the CF-card slot empty, then your camera will simply boot the stock firmware.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

Audionut

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

Follow the instructions for uninstalling ML.
Follow the instructions for installing ML.
On camera reboot after installing ML firmware, press the trashcan button.

harpervl

I thank you for the response.  Not sure I totally get what you are saying but let me see if I am following your latest input.
Are you saying that I need to keep a designated CF card with the downloaded ML firmware handy to set the camera up anytime I want to use the ML menus to set the camera up for shooting video?  So, when I take the CF card out of my camera and install a clean CF card, I will not have the ML menus.
That seems to be what is happening.  I can't access the ML menus without the card being in place.
The moment I take the CF card out with the ML firmware, the camera only shows the Canon 2.1.2 latest firmware.

Just so folks understand my dilemma, I have been a Dir. of Photography for 30 years and usually use a DIT to handle the tech stuff.
But, when shooting smaller projects I use my 5DMKII occasionally.  I do appreciate the help.
Virgil L Harper

ayshih

Quote from: harpervl on January 17, 2014, 06:53:08 PM
Are you saying that I need to keep a designated CF card with the downloaded ML firmware handy to set the camera up anytime I want to use the ML menus to set the camera up for shooting video?  So, when I take the CF card out of my camera and install a clean CF card, I will not have the ML menus.
That seems to be what is happening.  I can't access the ML menus without the card being in place.
The moment I take the CF card out with the ML firmware, the camera only shows the Canon 2.1.2 latest firmware.

Yes, this is the normal behavior.

dmilligan

Magic Lantern resides on the card not the camera itself. You must have a card with ML on it to use ML. The 'installation' process does not 'install' ML, it simply sets a flag that tells the camera to look for and run ML on the card, when the camera is turned on.

harpervl

That was the missing link that I couldn't find out from any tutorials or writings.  Thanks for that bit.
So knowing this, you can't shoot video on the CF cards because the CF card with the ML firmware is taking up the only available slot on the 5DMKII.
I was doing all this to get a clean image recorded to an Atomos Ninja 2.  I assume then that the camera will send the video to the recorder vs. the CF slot.
Virgil L Harper

Walter Schulz

Am I missing something?
Ninja 2 is connected to HDMI. ML resides in the card inside the card slot.
So what is the trouble all about?

harpervl

Walter.  You haven't really been of any help.  All your post come off as smart mouthed negative posts.  If you can't be more positive then don't respond to my queries.
I got some good positive feed back from a few others that helped.  That is what the forums should be about.
Virgil L Harper

ayshih

Quote from: harpervl on January 17, 2014, 08:35:21 PM
Walter.  You haven't really been of any help.  All your post come off as smart mouthed negative posts.  If you can't be more positive then don't respond to my queries.
I got some good positive feed back from a few others that helped.  That is what the forums should be about.

I disagree with your reaction; I have the same questions as Walter.

Quote from: harpervl on January 17, 2014, 07:37:51 PM
So knowing this, you can't shoot video on the CF cards because the CF card with the ML firmware is taking up the only available slot on the 5DMKII.
I was doing all this to get a clean image recorded to an Atomos Ninja 2.  I assume then that the camera will send the video to the recorder vs. the CF slot.

I don't understand why you seem disconcerted that you are required to have the CF card with the ML code on it in the camera.  Just because the ML code is on the CF card doesn't stop you from recording video (either H.264 or RAW) to that same CF card, as many people on this forum can attest to.  And, regardless, if you're recording video through the HDMI connection using the Atomos Ninja 2, and not using the ML's capabilities to record video, it would appear to sidestep any issue you may have with the CF-card slot.  Walter was confused, and so am I.

dmilligan

Quote from: ayshih on January 17, 2014, 09:02:24 PM
I disagree with your reaction; I have the same questions as Walter.
ditto that

@harpervl
This is a hack, and a forum full of hackers, what did you expect? You should be greatful that Walter responded at all, b/c your inquiry demonstrates a fundamental lack of knowledge about how the camera operates. ML is not a consumer product and this forum is not customer support. It sounds to me like you need to learn much more about your camera and how it operates before you attempt to use ML. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you don't understand the basics, there's no way that ML will do anything but cause you more trouble.