Picture Styles+bypassing?(+ML iso)

Started by ItsMeLenny, March 20, 2013, 12:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsMeLenny

I took some photos with RAW+JPEG to get a comparison of the Raw and what it looks like processed in "Darktable".
Darktable can't take canon picture styles (ofc) so I've just gone with neutral ps when shooting.
Darktable doesn't have the curve that canon uses either, but it has an estimated preset which is "canon like" which I've included to show the difference.

This is the original JPEG canon neutral.

This is the original JPEG canon neutral -4 contrast.

This is the canon like curve from darktable.

This is the no curve on the RAW from darktable.

I think it's been discussed before, but bypassing just picture styles, to get this no curve look.
I mentioned ML iso in the title because when this is used on different pictures styles it changes how much it can be used.
For example between "cinestyle" and "flaat", you can ramp it up higher in cinestyle because they are clipping the highlights more in the first place.
So ML iso is basically in camera picture style curve editing.

Neutral picture style, is neutral with a curve. If the curve can be bypassed, plus on top of that the contrast dropped to fit more dynamic range in, of course this doesn't want to be done too extreme. The guy flaat has flaat_10, flaat_11, flaat_12 and as soon as you hit 12, even 11, it gets a bit useless, http://similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-styles/index.html

EDIT: as the photos I had on here were removed off the original site, I've now inserted replacements. Hence the update.

ItsMeLenny

I'm adding a couple more findings.
Also, the two pictures to really compare are these two;

Canon's neutral.

Darktable passthrough.
These show the canon curve VS what I think is 0 linearity with 0.5 gamma. (That's inverse gamma which means it has a gamma of 2.0)

My new "research" was trying to find what canons picture curves look like, and I came up with these rough equivalents. (550D)

Showing Neutral picture style, Neutral picture style with -4 contrast, and Neutral picture style with highlight tone priority.
Whilst they are rough, they do explain to me (and confirm) that canon blows up the highlights a bit. HTP produces slightly more satisfying results but I still don't like it.

I believe this is the same curve for all picture styles, and I am (still) under the impression (but even more so now) that canon applies the curve separately to the picture style.
1d and 5d I believe have 4 tone curve settings, 1 default (0) and 3 custom (1-3). The 550d has no option to change the tone curve, even when shooting tethered to eos software, which is where one is able to change them with other cameras (?).
However, I am under the impression that 550d may have them locked away (possibly unlockable by ML). (Much like kelvin white balance.)

ouuzi

Flat curves are very useful. So can we get a really flat curve?

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: ouuzi on January 16, 2014, 02:51:41 AM
Flat curves are very useful. So can we get a really flat curve?
None of the flat curves I've encountered are properly flat, and a lot of them blow out.
You don't want actual flat because it would be unusable, it would be a flat with a gamma.
But I'm not sure if it's possible, still trying to find out.
Flat curves look far better in my opinion, than canons blow out lut.

Also, none of this matters if shooting raw. But this for me is for improving the quality of mp4 (plus I like to shoot jpeg).

About Digic Registers http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Register_Map/Brute_Force
    The following functions might become possible:
    • Custom curves applied to image