How do I record 60fps on Canon 5d Mark 3 RAW?

Started by SwaggyP, January 16, 2014, 04:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwaggyP

Hi I need your guys help! I just recently put magic lantern raw on my Mark 3. I understand how to shoot 24fps 1080. But I cannot figure out how to shoot 60fps. I keep reading different dimensions and having to stretch in post. I would like to know how to shoot 60fps continued recording (the longest it can record)- as far as dimensions,and how do I stretch it the easiest way possible. My current workflow is this: RAWMAGIC to Lightroom to Quicktime Pro 7, then editing on FCPX. I don't really want to use another program to stretch, any ideas? thanks

3pointedit

Lower the resolution of the RAW capture then blow it up in post. There is little moire I believe so the re-size shouldn't hurt to much.

Here's an example:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6198.0
550D on ML-roids

SwaggyP

I've also read some users shooting at 1728x458. Thing is, I do not see these width and height numbers when I scroll through the raw dimensions. Any clue?

SwaggyP

^^^ Does that mean I need to update to the most recent build because I do not see those dimensions to choose from. For example I do not see 1728 or 458 but rather see 1880x 480. And every time ML starts up the Raw module, the dimensions automatically go to 1360x580.

Audionut

1 thread is sufficient for the same questions.

Quote from: SwaggyP on January 16, 2014, 05:07:28 AM
^^^ Does that mean I need to update to the most recent build because I do not see those dimensions to choose from.

What build are you currently using?  It's a 2 minute job to download a new build and check.

SwaggyP

Audionut

Not if you're using raw recording you don't.

Boot the camera, press the trashcan button, scroll to the ML help tab, read the content of "Mercurial changeset" at the bottom of the screen.

Paste the content here.

SwaggyP

Sorry for the other thread... I don't use forums and I do not know how to delete the unnecessary thread...

SwaggyP

Audionut

Go here:  http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

Select 5D3.113 from the dropdown box.  Hit the big green download button.

Insert the card with Magic Lantern installed on it into a card reader on your computer and delete all the contents.  Don't format, or anything else, select all the contents and delete them.

Extract the contents of the zip file you donwloaded above and copy over to the card.

Put the card in the camera, boot the camera, press the trashcan button, scroll to the "modules" tab, scroll down to the raw_rec module and press the set button to enable it, turn the camera off, wait until the red card light stops flashing, turn the camera on.

This is a long but good read on participating in forums such as this:  http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro

SwaggyP

SwaggyP

Everything seems great. The shutter speed options look a different to me though can you help explain because I'm used to selecting 1/48 for 24fps and 1/120 for 60fps and I do not see any of these present. Thanks a bunch though, you really helped me out!

Audionut

Select the shutter speed closet to the desired value.

In the movie tab in ML menu, scroll to "Image Finetuning", hit the Q button.  Adjust "Shutter fine-tuning" till the shutter speed is as required.

Note: 
You should be in movie mode
You can use the top scroll wheel (near the M-Fn button) to adjust the shutter fine-tuning.
At the bottom of the screen will show what the old and new shutter speed is when changing the fine-tuning.

SwaggyP

Thank you so much for helping me out! I would be lost with out your help. I'll be working on my forum etiquette! ;D