Missing FONTs.DAT?

Started by ambler, January 14, 2014, 06:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambler

Hi i have been trying to put ML on to my 600D now for about 3days but every time i go through the install it just keeps telling me in missing FONTS.DAT and to copy all ML dater on to my sd card, which i have done! Can some one please help me and tell me where i am going wrong?

Thanks

Ambler

dmilligan

download and install the stable version first, then update to the nightly

ambler

that is the stable version.

dmilligan

No, it's not, the stable version works just fine, hence the name "stable"

You are getting that error because you are trying to install using an old .fir file with a version of ML that has come since the new proportional fonts backend. The old fonts.dat was removed and replaced with a new font engine and new fonts. I don't know what build you are trying to use, perhaps a recent nightly or some third party build like Tragic Lantern, but you are not using version 2.3 stable. Click on download at the top of this page and click on the "download" button in the "Stable Release" section and select your camera. Then follow the instructions

ambler

That is the one i have already downloaded 4 times and every time i get the same thing. All my firmware is up to date i am running canon 1.0.2 on my 600D and i have followed these instructions on that link to a T. So it must be something else any ideas?

Walter Schulz

RenatoPhoto

make sure you erase ALL the old ML file directory and autoexec file.  Then put the new nightly files on the card.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

ambler

Im not trying to put a nightly build on there i just wanna put the stable version on there. i download ML, put the file on my card take every thing out all the folders and put them on the root of the card. put the card in the camera then go to the update firmware, it tells me my firmware is up to date i press ok it says loading, then goes back to the info screen before going black and telling me,  Magic lantern install  FONTS.DAT not found! then it goes to the uninstall page, so i turn the dial from M to Av to enable boot disk where the screen say in green

BOOTDISK flag is ENABLED.
AUTOEXCE.BIN found

!!!ML/DATA/FONTS.DAT !!!
            !!!NOT FOUND!!!
Please copy ALL ML files on your SD card. they only take a few MB

You may now turn off your camera.
to disable the BOOTDISK flag,
change the shooting mode from the
mode dial (P/Tv/Av/M)

????

Iv tried every variation like having BOOTDISK flag on when i try loading up but nothing seems to work.

thanks

carl

dmilligan

Don't change the directory structure of the zip file (leave things in the folder they are in), that is what you are doing wrong. On the root of your card should be: 'autoexec.bin' and 'ML' directory (and various Canon folders)

The bootdisk flag is all you need. If it's enabled then your done with installation, ML should startup automatically the next time you reboot the camera. All that running the firmware update does is set the boot flag, that is all you need the .fir file for (the .fir file does not contain or install the full ML, it simply sets the boot flag so that ML will autorun on startup). Once it's set, the camera will try to run autoexec.bin automatically when it boots up. You can update to newer versions of ML without ever having to run the install process again. Just replace all the files on the card with the newer builds (keep the same directory structure that is in the zip file).

bogor62

Quote from: dmilligan on January 16, 2014, 04:56:29 PM
Don't change the directory structure of the zip file (leave things in the folder they are in), that is what you are doing wrong. On the root of your card should be: 'autoexec.bin' and 'ML' directory (and various Canon folders)

The bootdisk flag is all you need. If it's enabled then your done with installation, ML should startup automatically the next time you reboot the camera. All that running the firmware update does is set the boot flag, that is all you need the .fir file for (the .fir file does not contain or install the full ML, it simply sets the boot flag so that ML will autorun on startup). Once it's set, the camera will try to run autoexec.bin automatically when it boots up. You can update to newer versions of ML without ever having to run the install process again. Just replace all the files on the card with the newer builds (keep the same directory structure that is in the zip file).

Sambatourist

Ambler,
I had the same exact issue. dmilligan is right. I had somehow downloaded the wrong "v2.3" or it it did not unzip correctly. The error was fixed by deleting the zipped files and starting over using the download link above.

E

smithc93

I realize I'm 2 years late to the party, but I had a similar problem. I solved it by formatting my card inside the camera. Once I did that, it was right as rain.