Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tecgen

Some time ago I played around with an dual iso video branch, that is supposed to work on the 50D and the 5D Mark II. I don't know why but it does not work on my 50D so far.
https://bitbucket.org/tecgen/magic-lantern/branch/5D2-50D-dualiso-video#diff

The good news is, I am able to record dual iso RAW video by changing the CMOS[0] manually to a value of 8, 18 or 28. (See also my post in the dual iso for 5D2 thread http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16854.msg171694#msg171694)

Here you can find a MLV of an 50D dual iso RAW video and a dual iso DNG file that was created by MLVFS.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w2wemk17d5x95fu/AAAosfOCYFDQM4SPvoL4WHuda?dl=0

Can anyone help us to put these things together? It seams simple to get dual iso RAW video working even on the good old 50D.

Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 550D/Rebel T2i, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 135 f2.8 SF, Zoom H2n

ADJ

Quote from: visiono on August 27, 2016, 08:53:44 AM
ADJ,

I've had this crash thing going on too using the powergrip. I stopped using the power grip and now its no longer happening.

I tried it today without the battery grip and the effect is the same.

ADJ

Quote from: a1ex link=topic=9852.msg171070#msg171070
Here's a test anyone can run: load selftest.mo and run the redraw test. It's an infinite loop, and it may or may not be obvious whether it's actually running. If you run this test at the same time (in parallel) with the rectangle test, it will be obvious it's running, as the rectangles will disappear quickly.

While running this test, try to navigate Canon menus (it should not crash) and check whether the camera shuts down and restarts fine (without having to take the battery out).

For those who like me struggle without newbie level detail:

Download the lua script from http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17027
Save the Reb_Modu.lua script onto the card in the ML\SCRIPTS folder.
From Magic Lantern Modules menu enable lua to run on reboot.
Restart the camera.
Scroll down on the Modules menu and Reboot now appears at the bottom of the list. (works for me).
In ML/Modules enable selftest to run on reboot.
Restart the camera.
On Debug Menu scroll down to Self Tests. Use the Func button to select "redraw tests (infinite)".

A1ex, sorry for the late reply. I'm on holiday today so have more time.

When I use the redraw tests I get four flashes from the blue LED. I can navigate to Canon menu and select format. The screen reads "magic lantern restored" and then the screen goes black and the camera hangs with the red and blue LEDs lit and I need to pull the battery.
I get the same outcome if I select rectangle test just after redraw test with the camera hanging with the red and blue LEDs lit and I need to pull the battery.

I hope that helps narrow things down.

ryan750mhz

Hi,recently installed ML on my 50d. Problem is when i try to format the camera while keeping ML of course, after thecamera restarts it sit there nothing happening with the blue and red led lit up.. I have to take the battery out for it to turn on again

josepvm

Tullen

Hi guys. I wonder if anyone know how to bypass the screen resizing to make it possible to use windows tablets as field monitors with EOSView?

"On 6D it works in photo and movie, same on 50D I think (just need to block LV resize when USB connected). 6D it does 30 or 24fps so you could in theory record it. I'm actually going to try monitoring over USB with my GPS/Tablet thing and my phone. I haven't tried recording yet but just turning on raw is fine."

"On 50D I still had raw + usb at the same time.. just had to bypass the screen resizing."  /1%, Developer, Hero Member   
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8081.msg73505#msg73505

Tullen

Also

Quote from: tecgen on October 05, 2016, 04:41:06 PM
Some time ago I played around with an dual iso video branch, that is supposed to work on the 50D and the 5D Mark II. I don't know why but it does not work on my 50D so far.
https://bitbucket.org/tecgen/magic-lantern/branch/5D2-50D-dualiso-video#diff

The good news is, I am able to record dual iso RAW video by changing the CMOS[0] manually to a value of 8, 18 or 28. (See also my post in the dual iso for 5D2 thread http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16854.msg171694#msg171694)

Here you can find a MLV of an 50D dual iso RAW video and a dual iso DNG file that was created by MLVFS.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w2wemk17d5x95fu/AAAosfOCYFDQM4SPvoL4WHuda?dl=0

Can anyone help us to put these things together? It seams simple to get dual iso RAW video working even on the good old 50D.

This is awesome. What is needed? What can we do to get this fixed?

Sigmania

Hello;
I'm new to the forum.
I've searched for an answer using google but I can not find anything.I have a 50D and I have installed several versions of the lantern but always with the same result.
When the card is full of photos and formating,the lantern reboots the camera but does not finish and does not boot.I have to get the batteries out.
Any solution?

Regards and sorry for my english.

mlfan32

I get this
magic lantern error loading ML/modules/50d_189.sym
almost all the time on my display. Camera remains usable.. Sometimes it won't shoot video until restart.

How do I properly uninstall ML from my 50D v1.0.9?

DeafEyeJedi

@50D users -- please help us out here!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

justinbacle

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on January 12, 2017, 09:41:37 PM
@50D users -- please help us out here!
Sure, I'll try and do that ASAP :) (I'm changing home this week-end but should be able to do it next week)

ADJ

Does anyone know a way of formatting the card with a 50D without pulling the battery?

Walter Schulz

Sure!
1. Learn how to compile in your environment (several tutorials here) and revert Pull Request 736
2. Use build 403 (or older).

eirkabrev

Hello guys! I recently bought an eos 50D to replace my ooold eos 10d. A couple of weeks ago I installed magic lantern to it and it seems to run fine on the 50d. Full of expectations I did a few test shoots with it, which turned out fine and I brought it with me on vacation to do some video shooting. However coming home today and checking out the footage on my computer I was shocked at the strange "artifacts" I am getting. As far as I can tell it is not "moire" or "aliasing" as I have read is a common problem with the 50d. This is far worse, as if the footage is overly compressed or something (although it is filmed in 1920x1088 30fps). I guess it would be normal to suspect the memory card beeing too slow, however this one should be more then fast enought with a write speed of 120mbps?!

Can someone help me, or at least tell me what these weird "square" artifacts really are?

Best regards

Eirkabrev

Walter Schulz

Sorry, we can't help without some (better: all) details about the settings you used and the card. It would be fine to be informed about postprocessing applied and - if possible - some unprocessed footage to download. And can you reproduce this? And if so: Reproducable without ML, too?

H.264 or MLV/RAW?

eirkabrev

Thank you very much for you're quick reply! I was able to find the error myself, the bitrate was accidentally turned down to 0.2 :( I am very sorry to spam the thread with my "problem". Error was at the user side this time  :'(

Anyways, thanks to the community for making magic lantern!

acidr4in

Hi, I got a question I run a really ancient version of ML on my Camera (1.0.8-ml-2011Dec22) now my question is how is the update process. As I see it I first need to Update to Canon 1.0.9 Firmware then to the current ML version. Can I just update to the Canon Firmware straight from the ML or do I need to uninstall it, if so how do I uninstall it?

Thank you

Walter Schulz

Take a spare card (recommended 2-32 GByte) and format it using cardreader. Format it again using cam. Copy extracted Canon firmware 1.0.9 file to card and run firmware upgrade.
Insert your ML-enabled card into cardreader. Backup ML directory and all contents in root directory. Then delete all FIR files and autoexec.bin from card and delete ML directory, too.
Copy extracted nightly build content to card.
Insert card into cam and startup.

javiergme

Hello, I run ML 2015 on my 50D Camera (1.0.9-ml-2015Aug18). How should I update to 1.0.9-ml-2017Feb11? Thanks in advance.

jcachado

hi,

The silence mode in shooting menu is missing in this version?

thks,

Cachado

Walter Schulz

Modules tab -> Silent.mo
You can check https://builds.magiclantern.fm/features.html for features available for your cam.

mgrsadm

Hi everyone, I have little issue, my exposure keep changing while i shooting, strangely, it is turning the exposure up further when the camera is pointing into light, and turns it down further when pointing into darker scenes. I have not touched any ACR parameters. I have been shooting in Manual Mode, full sensor 1568x882, Exp Override ON, manual ISO, FPS override on (at 25fps) and I have Canon 50mm f1.8 II and I am using last build. Do you have any idea how to fix it, should i try older build?  :)

far.in.out

Does 5D2 have the same issue with cropped RAW video not being centered like 50D has? Does 5D2 has the same MLGrayscale preview mode, do all cameras have it?

Can the MLGrayscale preview in cropped mode (on the 50D or on all cameras) be made less ugly?
Can we scale the actual raw frame that is being recorded (in crop mode) to 50% (or 25%) and center it to available screen area? If the resultant preview frame resolution doesn't match the available screen area - crop or letterbox it but still center it to available screen area - this way it's still "close" to 100% frame coverage and there is less scaling distortion and no aspect ratio distortion - you can actually see what you are filming.
Wouldn't it be better like that?
I'm also wondering if what I've described above can be done NON-greyscale but proper LV colors.

Another question - what effects MLGreyscale preview performance? It started lagging recently (like less than 1fps), I don't think it was like that before.
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

littlebobbytables

I've been using an old nightly build for quite a while without major issues. Also recently picked up a new card(KB 128GB 1066x). On a recent shoot with a lot of long takes I've had a couple of seemingly corrupted files(besides the occasional skipped frame). That is to say: seemingly records fine, can preview in camera but when copying to a computer it won't let me(on mac the card is not recognised until the problematic clips have been deleted, on windows the specific file fails to copy while copying and card is ejected). Also tried dd entire card under linux with similar results. This seems to happen more on the new card than my older 32GB cards.
My questions are:
1) Has anyone noticed something similar and on what build was this? Did you manage to resolve this in any way? What can I do/provide to get to the bottom of this?
2) Is anyone shooting on a newer build for a while you are happy with(and you consider solid)?
3) Do you find mlv_rec(or another setting) to be more stable/less skipped frames?

Build: Nightly.2015.Nov15.50D109
Settings: Expo. override: on, GD: on, zebras, peaking, waveform, fps override: 23.976, RAW full sensor 16:9 max resolution using raw_rec

Thanks!
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

justinbacle

Hi,

Quote from: littlebobbytables on April 17, 2017, 03:14:39 PM
1) Has anyone noticed something similar and on what build was this? Did you manage to resolve this in any way? What can I do/provide to get to the bottom of this?
2) Is anyone shooting on a newer build for a while you are happy with(and you consider solid)?
3) Do you find mlv_rec(or another setting) to be more stable/less skipped frames?

Build: Nightly.2015.Nov15.50D109
Settings: Expo. override: on, GD: on, zebras, peaking, waveform, fps override: 23.976, RAW full sensor 16:9 max resolution using raw_rec

1 & 2 / First of all, I have to reccomend you to use the latest nightlies. I had more stable recordings by sticking to the latest nightlies.
When I had this problem (happened to me several times) I found out that the "big" corrupted files were in fact recording that stopped at the beggining that I had to stop by removing the battery. These files are actually almost empty but are reported with a wrong size on the CF card. May be wrong, but that is what I think.
3/ I use MLV_Rec more because the interface is more usable IMO. The latest MLV Lite is mor usable though. I'd reccomend both other the old raw_rec as MLV files are much easier to handle ;)