Sony A7R

Started by onegreenev, January 01, 2014, 05:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onegreenev

Any chance of any work like this for the Sony A7R and maybe bring full RAW Video for this beast? I do use the clean HDMI out and record to my Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. Works good but would like to have RAW directly from the CAMERA. Its a long shot to ask but thought I would. I like ML for my Canon. I like my new Sony Too.

Thanks
Pete :)

ItsMeLenny

onegreenev

Actually not. If this can be done with the Canon why not other cameras? Just an honest question. I currently have a Canon T3i with ML installed and the new Sony A7R. Just wondered. If its not possible or not going to happen it would be nice to know from the folks who actually do the programming for Magic Lantern.

I only ask because I like ML so much I'd like to see it on other platforms other than JUST Canon.

Stedda

If you do a search you'll see this has been asked for other camera makes and the answer is always the same. You'll also find the explanation you're looking for.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

onegreenev

Yes, the answer HAS always been NO but this CAN change. It would be WORTH the change. Canon is not the only GAME in town. But I will leave it here for now and come back some other time and ask again.

I am a staunch ML fan and I already knew that the answer was no. Ive also seen in my life time many who refused to change go under.

Canon is good, don't get me wrong. But times are still changing. So too should ML. It has a place on many platforms. Only if the builders are actually good enough to pull it off. Maybe its because they ...... :)

ItsMeLenny

This is ML for Canon DSLR's.
ML runs on Canons camera operating system, there is no way to port it.
There are different people on different forums who are hacking other brands of cameras.
Nikon cameras = http://nikonhacker.com/
Panasonic = http://www.gh1-hack.info/
Canon P&S = http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
The link I already put you to clearly states "These forums are intended for the discussion of the use and development of the Magic Lantern firmware for Canon DSLRs."
Everywhere else states it also.
Cameras from the same manufacturer are different let alone from another company.
It would be completely impossible.

Midphase

Quote from: onegreenev on January 03, 2014, 07:15:53 AMBut times are still changing. So too should ML. It has a place on many platforms. Only if the builders are actually good enough to pull it off. Maybe its because they ...... :)

ML is not a commercial product, nor is it designed to last forever. It's merely a way to add more functionality to a particular set of cameras for the time being.

You are right, times are changing, and the future is more than likely not going to be DSLR's for video shooting. There's a very good chance that Blackmagic will announce a sub $2k APS-C CDNG camera in a few months that will probably put an end to the era of DSLR shooting.

I think ML has been a fantastic add on to Canon cameras, and the raw recording has added at least a couple more years to them...but it wouldn't make sense to start from scratch working on a hack for a Sony (or any other brand) DSLR.

onegreenev

I know ML is not a commercial product. I also think it really would be a good thing to do this on other platforms. If the ML guys won't someone will. That's OK. I'd like to see RAW recording directly from the camera. I also don't have much hope for BlackMagic. They are photo and video support people, not camera people. Their little Pocket Cinema camera is only Video. Its actually not a good thing. I picked the Sony to get some top notch photos and video all in one. I will be doing photo shoots and interviews on the spot. I needed both in one package. The current video from Sony is great but hoped for Raw directly from the camera. Blackmagic helps with the shuttle so I can record uncompressed from the sensor via HDMI. Did not do so well with my Canon as Canon does not support audio out from the HDMI unless it is already recorded. Sony outputs clean HDMI and quality audio.

I am OK with what is available for the Sony line. I still think ML is a top notch product for Cannon 5D II and III. Its ok for my T3i.

I do hope someone will step up to the plate for Sony. I won't talk about this any longer. I hope you guys see a need for other platforms too. But you know, I do believe that these guys can do the same for Sony.

So back to ML and Canon. I will go see what has been done with tragic lantern for the T3i. Its been a bit since I upgraded. I do however love the full frame camera vs the crop sensors from the other cameras.

Black Magic will do well when they actually do both the Cinema in full frame and the pocket cinema in full frame. So many excellent manual lenses to use for them. I love my old glass.

Later. Thanks guys for being patient with my post.

Pete :)

Africashot

Quote from: onegreenev on January 05, 2014, 01:55:59 AM
Black Magic will do well when they actually do both the Cinema in full frame and the pocket cinema in full frame. So many excellent manual lenses to use for them. I love my old glass.
After shooting full frame video for a couple of years on the 5D now I can almost guarantee you this is never going to happen. While the 'full frame look' has been very much hyped about in the recent past, there is actually nothing further away from a truly cinematic image. Non of the hollywood flicks of the past are drowning in bokeh like most of the images that are being taken for 'cinematic' since the 5D is out, the depth of field of cinema is much more subtile, more like what you can expect when using a 35mm or 50mm lens on super 35 (1.6 crop) at anywhere between f5.6 - 8 and focus at 8 - 10 feet. Taking this into consideration and the technical challenge of getting a moire and aliasing free image after debayering the excessive area of a full frame sensor (something the a7R doesn't seem to be shining at) I don't think any manufacturer of cameras purely intended for cinema production will ever produce anything full frame, it is more likely thte 65 or 70mm will one day be digitalized but with the little glass available for this it won't be for everyone. 
ML 5D2 & T3i

mbickerdike

I would love to see this, only because if the A7R can do 4K HDMI out for stills, im sure it can be hacked (given some source is available) to allow live view through HDMI which can be captured by an Atomos. It wouldn't allow recording on the camera but at least the output. Hmmm

Edgar Matos

Be patient guys. Between 2012 to 2014 we got our hands on awesome equipment, asking for everything will be greedy. In the end, all we need is a canon Full frame 4k sensor cfast card controller with a 5axis stabilization system. And we already have the 4k with the 1DC, we will have to wait and see how canon play his cards. At least all I ask for is a canon DSLR with a Cfast Controller. 

Audionut

I see no mention of Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Leica, Hassleblad, Samsung, Pentax.

Lenny has linked some other groups above that provide enhancements to some other brands, and it looks like some work is being done for Sony branded cameras here:  http://www.nex-hack.info/