Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrFurious70

wow.. you guys are guns! Unfortunately most of this it flying way above my head. If the only way to do this is in software I agree it wouldn't be worth the overall slowdown and incompatibilities. Many thanks for your great work.

dfort

Quote from: MrFurious70 on November 25, 2017, 08:50:39 AM
Hi I'm new to Magic Lantern and so far finding it a pretty awesome hack and most of what I need seems to run perfectly. If I might add a suggestion/request...

I noticed there is the UpsideDown mode, which rotates the display 180 degrees. I was wondering if it wouldn't be difficult to also ad the option to flip the display vertically, so users of fixed LCD cameras such as the eosM could rig up a mirror to the bottom of the LCD for 'top down' shooting?

Similar to this...

Looks like the TFT SIO communication topic and the new tft_regs module could make this possible.

Register 0x6 seems to hold the key:

06:00

06:02

06:04

06:06

The pattern repeats every 0x8. The odd numbered values produce garbled results -- maybe half-resolution?

garry23

@dfort

:)

I already know how I'm going to  implement this on the EOSM, once it gets into a Nightly: I'll add it to my Toggler script so I can switch between modes on the fly, i.e. With out opening up the ML menu.

As usual, thanks for all your experimentation and perseverance.

Cheers

Garry

Danne

Flipped mirror, how cool is that.

a1ex

Quote from: dfort on November 27, 2017, 06:40:37 AM
Register 0x6 seems to hold the key

This matches 70D. Didn't expect that.

Walter Schulz

Downloaded TFT_SIO_communication.2017Nov26.650D104.zip from dfort's repository.
After "Don't click me!" screen is flipped according to pic dated "6:02".

garry23

Walter Schulz

No tft_regs.mo -> nothing to play around without compiling ...

HONE

Hi,

I stupidly updated my M to 2.03, but ML requires 2.02..... not available from Canon site - could somebody plz post up a link for me to download..... thanks much.

dfort

Now you do. The module should work for various cameras including the 650D and EOSM. I'll elaborate on the TFT SIO communication (tft_regs.mo) topic.

Walter Schulz

Thanks. Unfortunately fiddling around with registers does the following:
Every even register -> Switch value from 0x0 to 0x1 -> Screen goes blank.
Switching to 0x2 -> Nothing happens at all -> Screen stays blank, pressing Menu button brings screen back but orientation is normal.

And strange but true: After pressing "Don't click me!" screen does 6:04 flip+mirror, regardless if module is loaded or not. Tried to reset even registers 0x0 to 0xc with value 0 but "Don't click me!" still works this way.

dfort

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 28, 2017, 08:27:45 AM
And strange but true: After pressing "Don't click me!" screen does 6:04 flip+mirror, regardless if module is loaded or not.

Are you still using the previous build? That one had flip+mirror test hardcoded in the Debug menu. Try the module with a nightly or experimental build. The module also works on the 7D so I updated the module on my downloads page. a1ex explained why things might be a bit wonky with the 650D/700D on the TFT SIO communications topic.

Back on this topic, so far the best experience I'm having with the tft_regs module is on the EOSM.

garry23

:)

QuoteBack on this topic, so far the best experience I'm having with the tft_regs module is on the EOSM.

MrFurious70

TFT flip and bound to a hotkey... simply amazing, I cannot wait for this.

garry23

@MrFurious

Using Lua, choose any key you wish  ;)

Kharak

Quote from: MrFurious70 on November 25, 2017, 08:50:39 AM
Hi I'm new to Magic Lantern and so far finding it a pretty awesome hack and most of what I need seems to run perfectly. If I might add a suggestion/request...

I noticed there is the UpsideDown mode, which rotates the display 180 degrees. I was wondering if it wouldn't be difficult to also ad the option to flip the display vertically, so users of fixed LCD cameras such as the eosM could rig up a mirror to the bottom of the LCD for 'top down' shooting?

Similar to this...

Damn, now I get why its so cool that you flip the screen. I remember I tried with a mirror at the bottom once, but yeah I quickly realized it was not such a good idea ;) Who needs tilt screen now, just get your wives makeup mirror ;)
once you go raw you never go back

mariw

Hello, guys. Thanks for the incredible Magic Lantern, which I've been interested in for a long time and finally got a canon eos m to start playing with it. I got problem with raw video aspect ratio.

In short, I always get a narrowed footage, like this:

It looks the same after converting to dng.

I tried different settings and always get message like "1280x432 Stretch by 1.67x to get eg. 1280x720 (desired  aspect ratio) in post" in ML raw video resolution / ratio menu

I checked all combinations and the image is always narrowed (during recording seems to be ok)

Canon Video option is set to 1920x1080@24
ML Bitrate 1x
ML FPS override 24

Card: Sandisk Extreme 16gb 45mb/s

I use latest nightly build (2017-10-30)

Googled and checked this forum for it, but cannot find any solution.

Am I missing sth? Pls help.

dfort

Quote from: mariw on December 02, 2017, 02:24:35 PM
Googled and checked this forum for it, but cannot find any solution.

Am I missing sth? Pls help.

Did you read every post from every topic before posting?

Just kidding of course, this is your first post. You aren't missing anything, the EOSM is. This topic should clear things up for you:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16608.0

So to get mv1080 working on the EOSM you need to use the crop_rec_4k branch which is available on the experiments download page and use the H.264 proxy workflow. Another option is to use the crop_rec module that is available on that same branch. A word of warning, H.264 proxy recording isn't working yet though some people have had limited success with it.

mariw

@dfort

Thank you for your answer. Apparently I was not looking deep enough. After watching some amazing clips on YouTube, I thought it was enough to buy a camera and upload ML :)

dfort

Actually it is amazing what can be done with an EOSM. It looks like you are into raw video so try this. Put the camera into Movie crop mode:

In this mode the EOSM sheds most of its quirks like only running at 29.97 fps and not going into mv1080 mode unless you're recording H.264 at the same time. The downside is that you're using a small area of the sensor so you'll need some wide lenses for this to be practical. Still, if you're shooting raw video the EOSM can hold its own when compared to much more expensive cameras if you use the Movie crop mode.

If you want to use a larger area of the sensor to get that cinematic depth of field and don't mind shooting in a wide aspect ratio, try the crop_rec module.

mariw

Tried both and got some very promising results with crop_rec and some of my ef-s L and manual m42 lenses. I am pretty amazed with eos m overall performance in terms of color depth and dynamic range :)

nlantz

Hey boys, been away for a while and currently at work with no time to spend an hour searching, any word on follow focus working on the eosm ? Haven't tested a nightly in several months.  Debating on buying an old t3i or such just to have this feature back. 
Thanks for any feedback.

MrFurious70

Checked the latest build for eosM and can't seem to find the display flip/mirror function.. did this not make the final cut?

dfort

You mean like this?

If you are referring to the new TFT SIO communication module to flip and mirror the LiveView, I put a build of that module on my downloads page -- thought that is still very much experimental.

@nlantz - what are you talking about? This is what I use for follow focus:

But seriously folks:

platform/EOSM.202/features.h
/* Some Hope Yet */
#undef FEATURE_FOLLOW_FOCUS

So you could either try to get it working, get that old T3i or hire someone to pull focus for you.

garry23

@dfort

Looking forward to the flip/mirror feature.

I purchased this http://flipbac.com/viewfinder-specifications.htm but it only has a 3in aperature.

Does anyone know if there is a larger one from another company?

One that will fit an EOSM.

I have my Varavon 90 degree unit for my 5D3, but sadly they don't make it any more.

Cheers

Garry