Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Welcome to the dreaded "EOS M Shutter Bug": https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/1893/eos-m-shutter-bug
Workaround for you and your August 1st version: Remove battery before mounting kit lens again.

dfort

Ah yes, the shutter-bug. A few weeks ago I thought that maybe if we can come up with a different way of booting up the camera, like the AllocateMemory pool method, it would solve this issue. Sadly it didn't resolve the shutter-bug. The best work around I have found is to use a SanDisk Extreme PRO card that is 32GB or less.

Anything over 32GB (SDXC cards) will most likely exhibit the bug. Other cards 32GB or less may work, some intermittently. Note that it doesn't have to do with the speed of the card because I've got an old and very slow Kodak 1GB card that works fine.

The shutter-bug is only present with EF-M zoom lenses. A quick, though annoying, "fix" is to break the lens/body by twisting the lens off and on while the camera is turned on. This kills the shutter-bug until the next time you restart the camera. There are other work arounds but if you use this card you'll never have to deal with it.

igrease

Quote from: dfort on August 29, 2017, 01:52:20 PM
Ah yes, the shutter-bug. A few weeks ago I thought that maybe if we can come up with a different way of booting up the camera, like the AllocateMemory pool method, it would solve this issue. Sadly it didn't resolve the shutter-bug. The best work around I have found is to use a SanDisk Extreme PRO card that is 32GB or less.

Anything over 32GB (SDXC cards) will most likely exhibit the bug. Other cards 32GB or less may work, some intermittently. Note that it doesn't have to do with the speed of the card because I've got an old and very slow Kodak 1GB card that works fine.

The shutter-bug is only present with EF-M zoom lenses. A quick, though annoying, "fix" is to break the lens/body by twisting the lens off and on while the camera is turned on. This kills the shutter-bug until the next time you restart the camera. There are other work arounds but if you use this card you'll never have to deal with it.

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 29, 2017, 08:06:13 AM
Welcome to the dreaded "EOS M Shutter Bug": https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/1893/eos-m-shutter-bug
Workaround for you and your August 1st version: Remove battery before mounting kit lens again.

Wow thank you. I have always been turning the camera off before I switched lens and that is why I kept getting the shutter-bug. If I do it with the camera still on it switches fine. And yes taking the battery in and out fixed it as well.

I just have a Lexar Platinum ll 32GB 300x 40MB/s. Is there any benefit to having a faster SD card with this camera?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: igrease on August 29, 2017, 07:32:15 PM
I just have a Lexar Platinum ll 32GB 300x 40MB/s. Is there any benefit to having a faster SD card with this camera?

I believe it does. Test for yourself. Go to Modules tab and enable Bench.mo. Disable all others. After restart in photo mode go to Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card Benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min). Would be surprised to see write speeds above 20 MByte/s with this card. Cam can do about 40 MByte/s.

madz

Installed experimental crop_rec ML from 14sep2017 on my EOS-M.202
mv720 3x3 is working great, but now I have a question: is there any working solution for focus pixels in mv720 3x3 footage?
650D.104 | EOSM.202

dfort

Quote from: madz on September 21, 2017, 01:34:58 AM
is there any working solution for focus pixels in mv720 3x3 footage?

Yes, I published the map files and they are being used in a few apps. I only tried it extensively in Danne's Switch and it is working great.

kosmarnik

Anyone else having issues with Advanced bracketing?
My setup:
EOS-M with the latest nightly (magiclantern-Nightly.2017Sep15.EOSM202)

Manual mode, manual lens, 6exp 3ev from 1/4000.

Most of the times I get the expected exposure range:
1/4000
1/500
1/60
1/8
1"
8"

But not always.
Sometimes I'll even get more than 6 shot.
If I use Audio remoteshot (audio gain set to manual), I never get the expected range, just a bunch of random exposure values that changes every time:
1/4000
1/4000
1/500
1/500
1/500
128"

Or
1/4000
1/500
1/60
1/8
1/4000
1/4000

Or
1/30
1/4
1/30
1/30
127"
10"

Seems like a bug in the Advanced bracketing module, and using Audio remoteshot makes it worse.
Would someone please try it out, using at least 5 exposures?
Thanks!

dfort

Interesting discovery while trying to track down another issue--Audio Remote Shot works fine with the EOSM removed from this list:

#ifdef FEATURE_AUDIO_REMOTE_SHOT
#if defined(CONFIG_7D) || defined(CONFIG_6D) || defined(CONFIG_650D) || defined(CONFIG_700D) || defined(CONFIG_EOSM) || defined(CONFIG_100D) || defined(CONFIG_70D)
            /* experimental for 7D now, has to be made generic */
            static int last_audio_release_running = 0;

if(audio_release_running != last_audio_release_running)
            {
                last_audio_release_running = audio_release_running;

if(audio_release_running)
                {   
                    //Enable Audio IC In Photo Mode if off
                    if (!is_movie_mode())
                    {
                        SoundDevActiveIn(0);
                    }
                }
            }
#endif

a1ex

Even when starting the camera in photo mode? (with the sound device likely disabled by Canon firmware)

Though I have a feeling the proper fix would be to remove that hack from shoot.c and ask for audio meters (tell the audio backend that we are going to record sound, with a ml-cbr snd_rec_enabled handler). That request would enable any camera-specific tricks required to enable the sound card.

Another possible bug on the sound side: does mlv_sound record sound with... global draw off?

dfort

Quote from: a1ex on October 01, 2017, 09:48:08 AM
Even when starting the camera in photo mode? (with the sound device likely disabled by Canon firmware)

Interesting--it doesn't work when starting the camera in photo mode. Glad I didn't take that any further.

Quote from: a1ex on October 01, 2017, 09:48:08 AM
Another possible bug on the sound side: does mlv_sound record sound with... global draw off?

That does work. Even started the camera with global draw off just in case.

russellsnr

Quote from: kosmarnik on September 24, 2017, 03:12:40 PM
Anyone else having issues with Advanced bracketing?
My setup:
EOS-M with the latest nightly (magiclantern-Nightly.2017Sep15.EOSM202)

Manual mode, manual lens, 6exp 3ev from 1/4000.

Most of the times I get the expected exposure range:
1/4000
1/500
1/60
1/8
1"
8"

But not always.
Sometimes I'll even get more than 6 shot.
If I use Audio remoteshot (audio gain set to manual), I never get the expected range, just a bunch of random exposure values that changes every time:
1/4000
1/4000
1/500
1/500
1/500
128"

Or
1/4000
1/500
1/60
1/8
1/4000
1/4000

Or
1/30
1/4
1/30
1/30
127"
10"

Seems like a bug in the Advanced bracketing module, and using Audio remoteshot makes it worse.
Would someone please try it out, using at least 5 exposures?
Thanks!
I did reply to this in the other posting on the same subject by the same OP in the GH Q/A section but if it helps here.
Did a quick test also with the 'M' and got in first 6 images at 3 stops. 320,320,40,40,40 and 40 second try I got 320,2500,40,40,1.6 and 1.6
Russ

kosmarnik

Quote from: russellsnr on October 02, 2017, 08:56:40 AM
I did reply to this in the other posting on the same subject by the same OP in the GH Q/A section but if it helps here.
Did a quick test also with the 'M' and got in first 6 images at 3 stops. 320,320,40,40,40 and 40 second try I got 320,2500,40,40,1.6 and 1.6
Russ
Yeah, saw that one, but as it may be an EOS-M specific issue, it might be useful to have it here too.

madz

Quote from: dfort on September 21, 2017, 01:56:28 AM
Quote from: madzis there any working solution for focus pixels in mv720 3x3 footage?

Yes, I published the map files and they are being used in a few apps. I only tried it extensively in Danne's Switch and it is working great.

Thanks! But I had to tell that I'm on Windows, sorry  :)
I tested MLVProducer build 3151, it removes focus pixels in the center (profile 80000331_1808x727), but leaves some at sides. And vice versa with profile 80000346_1808x1190. I thought it might be using an old version of your EOS-M profile and downloaded it from bitbucket, but unfortunately it uses some different format (not plain text as yours).

Is there any other option for Windows user besides MLVP? Can mlv_dump do that?

P.S. Looks like I need to find my old laptop to install Linux+Switch on it  :)

Extra question: Is it possible to get 48/50fps in RAW (resolution is not very important)? Mine tops at 31.something, may be I'm just doing it wrong.

----
Experimental crop_rec_4k.2017Oct02.EOSM202
650D.104 | EOSM.202

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: madz on October 04, 2017, 12:16:59 AM
Is there any other option for Windows user besides MLVP? Can mlv_dump do that?

P.S. Looks like I need to find my old laptop to install Linux+Switch on it  :)

Don't forget @Danne also made a window batch processing app as well: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10526.msg188558#msg188558
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

Quote from: madz on October 04, 2017, 12:16:59 AM
Extra question: Is it possible to get 48/50fps in RAW (resolution is not very important)? Mine tops at 31.something, may be I'm just doing it wrong.

Interesting question. You aren't doing anything wrong. The EOSM always records MLV (RAW) at 23.976 frames per second (even when set to PAL) except when in Movie crop mode or when using FPS override. The only way around this is to record H.264 at the same time which of course is a real challenge on this camera. You can find more information in the mv1080 on EOSM topic.

If you set the Canon menu to 1280x720 you'll be able to record 60/50fps in H.264 but the quality suffers because it does some extra vertical line skipping causing all sorts of aliasing and moiré. However, if you turn on crop_rec you can get better quality video. Note that on the LiveView and the movie file it will look like it was shot with an anamorphic lens so it needs to be stretched out in post. Give it a try, it might be the effect you're looking for. One caveat--I've seen focus pixels on H.264 when using the crop_rec module and I haven't found an easy way to deal with that.

I never thought about it before but the same trick for getting the EOSM to record mv1080 should also work for recording 60/50fps with the crop_rec module--though the sd card controller will never be able to keep up.

As for the focus pixels, mlv_dump on steroids should work on any computer platform. I haven't tried MLVFS on Windows but that should work too.

Danne

Batch_mlv for windows uses mlv_dump_on_steroids. It can work with most methods around focus pixels built around your fpm.sh. Batch_mlv uses the mlvfs method(lists are stashed in a folder). As we know crop_rec footage should use a replacement list. A list that is only used in Switch atm for all I know.
Now how about that crop_rec focus pixel list for the 100D? Could it be added to fpm.sh?

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on October 04, 2017, 07:01:35 AM
Now how about that crop_rec focus pixel list for the 100D? Could it be added to fpm.sh?

+1
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

madz

As we know crop_rec footage should use a replacement list. A list that is only used in Switch atm for all I know.

Did I understand it correctly, that at this moment only Switch is able to fix focus pixels on crop_rec footage (720 3x3 on EOS-M in our case)?

Sorry, language barrier  :(

About 48/50/60fps on EOS-M for this moment I fail.

setting in Canon menu 1280x720p50
enabling mlv_lite raw resolution 640x268 14bit/14bit lossless/10bit (for some reason 10/12bit lossless is not available)
enabling h.264 proxy with CBR 0.1x

and most of the time I get a lot of error messages and only battery pull helps out.
if it records something it's actually 50fps, but corrupted frames (black with vertical lines).
without proxy it's always 29.973, and with fps override it tops at 31.2xx

Offtopic: Does 700d/100d manage to shoot 48/50fps RAW? I was planning to get a 50d (no focus pixels and CF card), but if 700d/100d can do slowmo with 10/12bit lossless - that would be a huge plus for me.

650D.104 | EOSM.202

dfort

Quote from: madz on October 05, 2017, 03:12:27 AM
Did I understand it correctly, that at this moment only Switch is able to fix focus pixels on crop_rec footage (720 3x3 on EOS-M in our case)?

That's the only app that I tested and works for me. MLVFS works too but you need to manually change out the focus pixel map file. There might be others that can do the job.

Quote from: madz on October 05, 2017, 03:12:27 AM
Offtopic: Does 700d/100d manage to shoot 48/50fps RAW? I was planning to get a 50d...

Only the 5D3 can shoot 48/50fps RAW. At least for now.

Speaking of offtopic--let's pick that up on the Dealing with Focus Pixels in raw video topic.

kosmarnik

Would some of the devs  please take a look at the Advanced bracketing issue?
I't doesn't work with audio remote shot (as described in my earlier post). It also has issues when used with the intervalometer.

I grabbed the source to take a look at shoot.c, but it's a bit too much for me to grasp at a glance.

WhiteBear

Hi all!

Just installed ML on my EOS M, mainly because of the Dual ISO mode in stills, but I can't find it. Tried two builds. Please help.

Thanks!

oenopion

This may be a hardware issue, but my scroll wheel stopped working, as well as my AF. I swapped lenses, batteries, cards, tried with no card, no ML, etc. with no luck. Has this happened to anyone's eos-m? Did I hit something by mistake? The touch screen and other buttons are working fine. Any ideas what I can try to fix this? Thanks.

Walter Schulz

See replies #1276 and #1277.

oenopion

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 23, 2017, 03:22:33 AM
See replies #1276 and #1277.
I'm not sure if this suggestion was for my issue, but this is not the shutter bug problem. Also, I use the 22mm and a Tokina 12mm as my lenses. I can take photos in MF, just the half press AF is not working, nor is the scroll wheel, side buttons inside it, and the enter button in the center. Inside ML, I can't do anything, since I'm stuck in the white balance icon, and can't swipe out of it. I will try uninstalling tonight, but wanted to see if this issue had popped up before. It seems like I am stuck in MF, and with the scroll wheel locked out. Just no idea how I got there, or how to get out either.