Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Cool if so. I use my eosm with crop_rec all the time recording 12bit with audio. Those files comes out golden. Chroma smooth set to --cs2x2 and ran through dfort focus pixel lists through bouncyball pixel map in mlv_dump and we get clean dng's.
Don't forget about darkframe averaging and files comes out even better. All baked in cr2hdr.app :)

Digby

please can someone give a direct link to ML 2.03 for canon EOSM? I know its not finished testing yet, just want to try it.. been following links and hunting the forum but cant seem to find an active download.. many thanks :)

Danne

loknar

Hi,
if I understood correctly, when shooting raw video, most of you are using (one way or another) crop mode in either telephoto mode (with EF-M lenses) or you are using some short focal length C-mount TV lenses. Is there a list of usable (and affordable preferably) lenses (i'm looking for sub 15mm)? Problem with C-mount is that there are two versions and most seller cannot (or don't want to) differ between them, talking about C-mount and CS-mount, same thread but different flange distance (CS 12.5 mm, C 17.5 mm) so CS is pretty much unusable since it's impossible to focus it.

Danne

I have a used sigma 10-20mm f3.5 which works good for the price paid. Of course you will also need a canon ef converter to mount the lens.

Teamsleepkid

I've got c mount lenses. 25,12.5,8.5 and 6mm. i think pretty much any of them will work in crop mode. 3x or 5x crop mode. i had a 4.5mm lens and that one even worked. i broke it though. c mount lenses don't seem to focus to infinity though... at least mine don't . i haven't made any modifications to them. also they are all over the place. I've got 1",3/4", 1/2" they all close focus no problem. wide angle infinity focus seems soft to me. not terrible though. more resolution and we would be in serious territory. im still waiting for compressed raw. then we are talking better than a7sii in sharpness territory. I've got one of those too. and sometimes i prefer the 100 dollar M to it.
EOS M

dfort

Quote from: loknar on July 16, 2017, 09:46:54 AM
...Problem with C-mount is that there are two versions and most seller cannot (or don't want to) differ between them, talking about C-mount and CS-mount, same thread but different flange distance (CS 12.5 mm, C 17.5 mm) so CS is pretty much unusable since it's impossible to focus it.

CS isn't C. The CS lenses are designed for small surveillance cameras. You can use C mount lenses on a CS mount camera with an adapter but not vice-versa.

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on July 16, 2017, 11:18:14 AM
c mount lenses don't seem to focus to infinity though... at least mine don't .

They should -- mine do.

The EOSM isn't the best camera to shoot raw video though it is fun trying. There are development branches that allow you to shoot H.264 proxies along with mv1080 raw video. Best set up a compiling environment if you want to have some real fun with the EOSM.

... im still waiting for compressed raw. then we are talking better than a7sii in sharpness territory...

Cool. We're all waiting for you to get this started.

Teamsleepkid

dfort i always thought you were a great guy. sorry if i made you mad. you have always helped me a lot. nothing but respect. i have no idea how to code anything. i just see tremendous potential in the little eos m so im wishing out loud.
EOS M

dfort

@Teamsleepkid

What makes you think I'm angry? Insane, maybe. All I'm doing is trying to get some of the more advanced users, like you, to compile ML instead of waiting for someone else to do it. Once you can roll your own you'll be able to try out some of the more experimental branches. In addition, if you want to regress to an earlier version you can pick which commit to go back to. You don't need to change a single line of code to do any of this. Download the SourceTree app and watch ML development nearly real time. Just clone the ML repository using this URL: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern

If you are on Windows my Cygwin tutorial makes it super easy. On Mac I just updated the install script so it is pretty much automatic once you make /usr/local writeable. The scripts even clones the repository and sets you up on the unified branch. You can switch branches, merge and even poke around in the code if you want. If you muck things up simply delete your local repository and re-clone it.

loknar

Quote from: Danne on July 16, 2017, 10:31:30 AM
I have a used sigma 10-20mm f3.5 which works good for the price paid. Of course you will also need a canon ef converter to mount the lens.

That looks fine, but it's way out of my price range (around $400 here), also with adapter it's not so light combo with EOS M anymore.

I've got c mount lenses. 25,12.5,8.5 and 6mm. i think pretty much any of them will work in crop mode. 3x or 5x crop mode. i had a 4.5mm lens and that one even worked. i broke it though. c mount lenses don't seem to focus to infinity though... at least mine don't . i haven't made any modifications to them. also they are all over the place. I've got 1",3/4", 1/2" they all close focus no problem. wide angle infinity focus seems soft to me. not terrible though. more resolution and we would be in serious territory. im still waiting for compressed raw. then we are talking better than a7sii in sharpness territory. I've got one of those too. and sometimes i prefer the 100 dollar M to it.

Could you elaborate on manufacturers of these lenses? I managed to find some from Tamron and Fujinon.

Quote from: dfort on July 16, 2017, 10:22:04 PM
CS isn't C. The CS lenses are designed for small surveillance cameras. You can use C mount lenses on a CS mount camera with an adapter but not vice-versa.

I don't say it is, i'm saying that the only difference is in flange distance, and some sellers do not make difference between C and CS mount, hint would be size of an image circle, 1/2" being borderline size (at least i understood that from wiki).

Anyway I ordered this Tamron 8mm for 2/3" sensor http://www.tamron-usa.com/IO/IndOp/prod/23fm08l.php when it arives i'll do some tests and post results in case someone else is solving the same problem.

EDIT: mistype

bakersdozen

Quote from: loknar on July 25, 2017, 08:50:57 AM
That looks fine, but it's way out of my price range (around $400 here), also with adapter it's not so light combo with EOS M anymore.

Could you elaborate on manufacturers of these lenses? I managed to find some from Tamron and Fujinon.

I don't say it is, i'm saying that the only difference is in flange distance, and some sellers do not make difference between C and CS mount, hint would be size of an image circle, 1/2" being borderline size (at least i understood that from wiki).

Anyway I ordered this Tamron 8mm for 2/3" sensor http://www.tamron-usa.com/IO/IndOp/prod/23fm08l.php when it arives i'll do some tests and post results in case someone else is solving the same problem.

EDIT: mistype
Keep us posted on your results.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

EOS M + 5D3

Shutterbutton

I've been away from builds since early 2016. Have there been any big developments that are in either the nightly build or experimental builds that I should look into?

KSphoto

I've been away for almost 2 yrs. I'm excited to see whats new and I need advice on recording video with the screen off. How to? I need to record for as long as possible. I got the LCD to turn off while recording but my first file was only 4.7 minutes long with the camera going to sleep. What do I need to do to get the longest recording?

5DC, 5D2, 5D3, EOS M, too many lenses.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: Shutterbutton on August 12, 2017, 02:20:47 AM
I've been away from builds since early 2016. Have there been any big developments that are in either the nightly build or experimental builds that I should look into?
Plenty: https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

Shutterbutton

So essentially just 10/12 bit recording?

russellsnr

Hi, Firstly I hold my hands up, have not read through 50 plus pages of this EOS M part of the site but if someone would like to comment?
I don't even have the camera as yet, bought second hand to dip my feet in the water of mirrorless. I do use M/L on my DSLR's 6D/70D, have done so for many years now and I only shoot stills not video so for those who shoot stills what are the top three advantages of M/L with the EOS M to date?
Thankyou in advance for any input.
Russ.

dfort

Top 3 for still photographers on the EOSM? Hard to trim it down but how about.

• Audio Remote - The EOSM doesn't have a cable release but you can hack one together with this feature.
  • Full Resolution Silent Pictures - If you're on a tripod making long exposures this will keep your shutter count way down.
  • Lua Scripting - There are lots of scripts for still photographers, like the one for manual lenses and of course the scripts garry23 wrote for landscape photograhy.

JohanJ

My top 3 for stills
* focus peaking, especially for manual lenses
* dual ISO w/ ETTR (especially when you are used to dynamic range from FF like your 6D)
* advanced bracketing

Sent from my SM-T719 using Tapatalk

60D.111 / 100D.101 / M2.103

Shutterbutton

" dual ISO w/ ETTR (especially when you are used to dynamic range from FF like your 6D)"

I never managed to get anything decent out of dual ISO. :(

garry23

@Shutterbutton

'Even' the humble EOSM is able to exploit dual-ISO.

I'm afraid without seeing your source dual-ISOs, I can't help devine what trouble you are having. It's all in the ML settings and post processing ;-)

You may get some pointers by reading some of my post on dual-ISO at photography.grayheron.net.

In addition to dfort's favorites, I would add raw spotmeter, and, as dfort says, scripting is the killer feature, as you can access all the other good stuff through scripts.

On my EOSM I have two scripts always running. My Toggler and my Focus Bar.

Cheers

Garry

Shutterbutton

Do you find Dual ISO doing anything that you couldn't accomplish with standard bracketing? Also, does your focus bar script work with manual lenses? I'm interesting to know which you've been using with your EOS M.

garry23

@Shutterbutton

The key difference between dual and multi-image bracketing is the fact dual allows about a 3Ev boost, all in a single image. Thus there is no risk of movement artifacts.

Of course, if the scene requires greater than 3 Ev help, I will exposure bracket.

Tne RAW spotmeter will help you gauge the DR of the scene, from which you can decide if dual will do it or not.

My focus bar works with all lenses that report focal length, focus distance and aperture. For me it works with all my EOSM lenses, both EOSM lenses and EOS lenses via an electronic adapter.

russellsnr

Hi, still await arrival of the camera so when in live view and you bring up the ML menu does the screen flicker as it does on the 6D and 70D and does this ML version on this camera have rack focus, focus stacking options please? Many thanks, sorry for the simple questions but as I don't have the camera I have to ask. Russ

garry23

Russ

I haven't used rack focus on the EOSM, you will need to test this.

I do know that ML has difficulty driving native EOSM m lenses, i.e. it will drive EOS lenses via an adapter.

I have two Lua scripts running on my EOSM.

One is called the toggler, and it allows you to toggle between various ML states. That is you don't need to go into the ML menu.

The other is my focus bar, which gives you three killer features.

First, you are visually presented with the focus field between the near and far depth of fields.

Second, you can achieve an optimum focus when doing landscape work, which is a focus point between the HFD and infinity. The focus bar also gives you info on the defocus and diffraction blurs, so you can make focus decisions.

Thirdly, the focus bar allows you to focus bracket.

You can download and read about my scripts at photography.grayheron.net

Cheers

Garry

igrease

I am having an issue with ML and my 18-55mm KIT lens. For whatever reason my 18-55mm Kit Lens refuses to take photos with pretty much any version of ML. So far the only version that seemed to work with the lens was the August 1st version. However that only worked until I switched off the kit lens for my vintage 55m 1.4 lens. Once I put the kit lens back on it no longer works. It will focus, and record video but the aperture won't change and will not take a photo. I have tried changing the different modes and everything. Nothing seems to work. The main reason I want to use ML is for the forced Exposure Simulation so I can see exactly how the shot is going to look like through the live-view. It bothers me to no end when I take a photo and the screen is darker or lighter than the actual picture taken. I don't think the default Canon EOS M settings have that feature.

Any advice?