Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Button to the right: Show older builds.

elmoandzoey

I just recently got an EOS M and want to use focus peaking for manual focusing. I was told Magic Lantern does add that feature. If so, can I just grab the April 19th built and work with that or is that one also suffering from the shutter bug?

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: inxlee on June 22, 2015, 10:27:39 AM
Can I check is the current build not working properly?
The most current build is April 19 and it works properly.
There are no later builds until an issue gets fixed, read posts on the previous pages.

Quote from: elmoandzoey on June 23, 2015, 05:11:12 PM
If so, can I just grab the April 19th built and work with that or is that one also suffering from the shutter bug?
They all suffer from it, or better yet put, on certain cards they do, on some others they don't, Sandisk is the better bet.
Read here: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1893/eos-m-shutter-bug

inxlee

Thanks guys! Got it installed running without any shutter issues. Only sometimes the screen goes haywire and somethings don't show if i keep changing my settings. Btw how do I enable Raw Video? Just noticed the option isn't available in the menu.:/

Walter Schulz

Enable RAW/MLV in "Modules" tab

elmoandzoey

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on June 23, 2015, 06:03:24 PM
They all suffer from it, or better yet put, on certain cards they do, on some others they don't, Sandisk is the better bet.
Read here: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1893/eos-m-shutter-bug

Thank you for that info. I did read that topic before but somehow got lost in it due to the sheer length. It seems that it only affects EF-M lenses? If so, I probably won't have an issue anyways because I am using EF lenses with the adapter.

josepvm

It only affects EF-M zoom lenses, not the EF-M 22mm F2 prime lens. And the EF-M 11-22mm usually does not show the bug if you take care to keep the lens in collapsed position during camera startup. EF or EF-S lenses used with the adapter are not affected.

Pharinen

Does anybody know the power requirements of EOS M(or Canon cameras in general)?

Canon's AC adapter for EOS M(CA-PS700) outputs 7.4V/2A but is meant for many other camera models as well. And I think there are quite a bit of headroom "just in case".

I found one guy's website(http://www.berndmargotte.com/technical/external_power_en.html) who have measured power draw of Canon 20D and he came a
conclusion that around 600mA should be enough. But that is a old camera with no liveview/video functions so that doens't help that much.

I'm just thinking that could I get away with only 1A but slighty higher voltage ~8.4V.

What do you guys think? :D

guits1

How add the Audio RemoteShoot function on the EOS M (magiclantern-Nightly.2015Apr19.EOSM202)? Is it's possible?

dfort

I want that too, looked at the source code but couldn't make heads or tails of where to start.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14913

dfort

Quote from: guits1 on June 29, 2015, 10:26:39 AM
How add the Audio RemoteShoot function on the EOS M (magiclantern-Nightly.2015Apr19.EOSM202)? Is it's possible?

Alright, I gave it another try and got it to work for me. I put in a pull request:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/645/enable-feature_audio_remote_shot-on-eosm/diff

You can get this now if you are able to compile ML on your system. Otherwise you'll have to wait until the EOS-M nightly builds are unblocked. Provided of course that my pull request is accepted.

[EDIT: The pull request was merged by a1ex so the Audio RemoteShoot function on the EOS-M is now in the unified branch. It should show up in the nightly builds once it is unblocked.]

gmr20

Is it possible to manually choose 1/3 stop of ISO when taking a photo, such as 125, 160, 250, 320?
Thanks.

dfort

I looks like the Canon menu allows: 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800
The ML menu lets you choose from: 100, 160, 200, 320, 400, 640, 800, 1250, 1600, 2500, 3200, 5000, 6400, 12800
1/3 stop ISO increments would be: 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600, 2500, 3200, 4000, 5000, 6400, 8000, 10000, 12800

So short answer, no but close enough. Longer answer:

You can go into the Canon menu, 4th wrench, Custom Functions(C.Fn) I:Exposure and choose between 1/3-stop and 1/2-stop increments. This will allow you to set the shutter speed and F-stop to 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments. So you can still expose to 1/3-stop accuracy if that's what you really want.

By the way, my understanding is that some of the ISO settings are interpolated, gain up or gain down, from the actual ISO and can introduce noise. In addition, when shooting raw it is best to expose as far to the right of the histogram as possible without clipping in order to record with the highest signal to noise ratio and when doing this quite often a higher ISO will exhibit less noise than a lower ISO. To make matters even more confusing the very high end cameras like the RED and Arri Alexa perform best at their "native" ISO and cinematographers go to great lengths to make sure they shoot at the optimum ISO as well as the best f-stop for lens performance and depth of field and they are pretty much limited to the shutter speed they can use so they have to make the best of it with their lighting and use of ND filters to nail their exposure--then they spend countless hours in the color grading suite getting exactly what they want.

TheMash

Hi everybody!
I'm from Italy and I've just joined the forum. I'm a ML user since 2 years on a 5D II.
Recently I discovered (lately) the potential of EOS M (further improved by ML).
So I decided to buy a refurbished one with original Canon EF adapter because I've various L lenses to be used on this camera.
I'll use the M on a glidecam or on a monopod for those situations where extreme lightness and versatility is required.
Now i'm going to buy some SD cards (because I've almost CF cards) and I'm going to buy Transcend TS32GSDHC10U1 Secure Digital SDHC, 32GB Class 10 UHS-I, stated for 90mb/sec (I assume it's the reading value) because of its very good price.
I know the hardware interface on EOS M is limited on transfer rate to about 40mb/s, so I don't want to buy cards with speed that gives me no advantage in using them (and wasting money).
I'll sure record with bitrate multiplier to obtain better results.
What do you think about those cards?
Thanks!

josepvm

Transcend 32 GB SDHC UHS-I cards are very prone to be affected by the shutter bug. See discussion here:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1893/eos-m-shutter-bug

Not an issue if you use only EF lenses, but an annoying hassle when using EF-M zoom lenses.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB UHS-I 95 MB/s are a safer option, the ones we have tested do not show the shutter bug.

TheMash

Hi josepvm, thanks for your prompt reply.
I'm not going to use the M with any M lens, because I don't own one and I think I'm not planning buying one of them.
I'll use it with EF L lenses exclusively.
Will the EOS-M benefit the extra speed of the sandisk for recording at higher bitrate or will be capped by SD interface speed?
Thanks again in advance.

josepvm

Well, I have both cards, and I have run Magic Lantern's SD benchmark with the EOS-M this evening, and there is really a significant difference in write speed: 38 MB/s max. for Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-I U3 95 MB/s, and only 29.9 MB/s max. for Transcend 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-I U1 600x 90MB/s. Both cards are FAT32 formatted. Max. write speed is attained with a 15625 Kb buffer.

Read speeds are similar for both cards: 38.1 MB/s max. for the Sandisk card, and 37.1 MB/s max. for the Transcend card.

I have not compared both cards during real raw video recording, (I do not shoot video at all). During some tests one month ago I saw that with the Sandisk I can continuously record 1280x720 30fps RAW video in crop mode (with raw_rec or mlv_rec). I will try to test it also with the Transcend later.

josepvm

Already tested: raw video recording (either mlv_rec or raw_rec) is not possible at 1280x720 30fps with the Transcend 90MB/s card: red warning in mlv recording, skipped frames, recording stops imediately. And it works with the Sandisk Extreme PRO 95MB/s (yellow warning in mlv, because actual writing speed is ~ 38 MB/s, but it works) ... so there is really a write speed difference.

Licaon_Kter

TheMash

Quote from: josepvm on July 01, 2015, 09:10:07 PM
Already tested: raw video recording (either mlv_rec or raw_rec) is not possible at 1280x720 30fps with the Transcend 90MB/s card: red warning in mlv recording, skipped frames, recording stops imediately. And it works with the Sandisk Extreme PRO 95MB/s (yellow warning in mlv, because actual writing speed is ~ 38 MB/s, but it works) ... so there is really a write speed difference.

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on July 01, 2015, 11:29:02 PM
Answers here: https://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

Thanks for your taking time doing tests, I apreciated it.
The difference between cards are in flash memories and controllers for sure. Sandisk has better flashes chip and faster controller.
I chosen the Sandisk Extreme 60mb-40mb (RW)/sec, I would use them only on the M and occasionally shoot RAW (for personal projects), so I think the 95MB/sec would be a waste of performance.
Anyway, for more robust performance in RAW I've the 5D Mark II (the best would be the Mark III but I'm waiting for a possible new body from Canon, Mark IV?).
As soon as I'll receive the M from courier I'll post my feedback here.

JosephCannavinoPhotograph

Something is not right.  I Downloaded and installed nightly build april19.  I can no longer access or view my firmware vers.  Two finger tap does nothing.  I am really freaked out that magic lantern is bugged and my camera is hacked.  I wish I hadn't done this.  Can anybody help?

josepvm

Are you starting your camera with mode dial in A+ position?. Firmware update or info is not available on A+ mode, you should use "still camera" mode.

JosephCannavinoPhotograph

I was not using (A+).  This is very tragic.  I have found that I cannot access ISO, SS, or F/stop controls anymore either, (l only shoot manual).  I am freaked out this is not good.   

josepvm

Remove battery, and test again. If this does not work, format the SD card on your computer, using a card reader, and put it again on camera, you should be able to start your camera normally, without ML.