Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grey

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 23, 2015, 02:22:05 PM
Your logic is flawed. Because ML works fine in Liveview with 650D and M both it doesn't mean there is no difference between firmware versions for both cams.

I don't think that firmware of these two cameras identical. I talk about hardware installed in cameras, and their  similarity.

Walter Schulz

Hardware partly similiar. Firmware not similiar. Conclusion?

grey

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 23, 2015, 02:39:27 PM
Hardware partly similiar. Firmware not similiar. Conclusion?

If HW similar, EOS M can record MLV with same resolution as 650D. But for some reason in LV mode CRAW buffer is smaller that in videorecord mode, and FPS set to 30.  ???

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: grey on May 23, 2015, 01:44:27 PMI am not a coder, but ...
Great, now that you admit that, stop this conversation that leads nowhere.

josepvm

The EOS-M can actually record 1280x720 raw video at 30fps ... in crop mode (both with raw_rec or mlv_rec)

In normal mode (full, sensor, no crop) I can get only 1280x692 with raw_rec and  1280x432 with mlv_rec. And the aspect ratio gets changed, a little with raw_rec, and a lot with mlv_rec.  So I suspect the problem is not lack of speed, but something not fully understood or properly fine-tuned in video modes settings or timers.

The main problem is (as g3gg0 says here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13746.msg143184#msg143184) that there are way more camera models currently supported by Magic Lantern than skilled developers that are able to maintain them.

And many people is constantly demanding in the forums that even more camera models should be supported: every new camera launched by Canon, and also the oldest cameras (VxWorks based, etc.)

So I do not see an easy solution, witthout more developers contributing, and more users involved in testing and feedback.

grey

I think nobody is really interested in fine-tuning EOS M ML project. And this is very sad.

Walter Schulz

Stop trolling around, please. Take a look into ML team's Bitbucket section.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: grey on May 23, 2015, 09:59:16 PM
I think nobody is really interested in fine-tuning EOS M ML project. And this is very sad.
Why are you still posting here instead of fixing issues, here start with those that I reported: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?reported_by=~licaon_kter

Or better yet test my fix for REC mode here (or in the issue above): http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15210.0

Either use cloud: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14725.0

Or VM: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7579.0

Or real Linux.

Report your patches here for testing.

Thank You  8)

Ernani

The autoexpo module seem wonderful. Does anyone know if a build has been made that solves the issue of the absence of a wheel button on the eos-m? ie: use other buttons to change the second values.
was it clear the way I said?

axlastro

Unfortunately the shutter bug is a big problem, as my main lens is 11-22. I tried formatting my card in the PC and after that in camera and for a few days it was bugg-less, but then it came back.

josepvm

Some SD card brands (Sandisk) seem to be less afected by the shutter bug than others (Transcend). See this dicussion (https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1893/eos-m-shutter-bug) and share your own results there, also.

And you can minimize the shutter bug with your EF-M 11-22mm lens if you keep the lens in collapsed position when starting the camera.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: Ernani on May 24, 2015, 03:52:48 PM
was it clear the way I said?
Not really, detail your workflow.

Ernani

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on May 24, 2015, 10:01:00 PM
Not really, detail your workflow.
In the options of the "auto exposure" module some options require the "main dial" button to change values. problem is the M doesn't have it.
for example the  ISO option: lowest value is changed by pressing left or right (works also by pressing up, down and by rotating the wheel), but upper value cannot be changed no matter what.

I prefer a dark picture to a noisy one, thus I'd like to let ISO alternate between 100 and 1600 but never cross over it. "auto exposure" module would do the trick but with the M I can't chose the highest value which is set to 6400.

Am I the only one who finds Canon's auto-expo dreadful?

josepvm

Quote from: Ernani on May 25, 2015, 07:39:01 PM
Am I the only one who finds Canon's auto-expo dreadful?

No, you are not the only one  ;) But there is Magic Lantern's Auto ETTR module ... and  that's all I need, I use it all the time.

I know A-ETTR is a very different method. Amazingly precise for raw pictures, but it takes a while to do the measurements, it's not intended for fast action.

I have tried autoexpo now in the M... and you are right, I can't change the upper value for ISO, etc.

In my 500D it works, the left/right keys change the lower value and the main dial next to shutter button changes the upper value.
But with the EOS-M the wheel and left/right, up/down and "play" keys all do the same function, they change always the lower value.

And with ML's menu disappearing after few seconds it's really tricky to properly adjust the autoexpo module in the EOS-M.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: Ernani on May 25, 2015, 07:39:01 PM
for example the  ISO option: lowest value is changed by pressing left or right (works also by pressing up, down and by rotating the wheel), but upper value cannot be changed no matter what.
oh, so I see now, yes, unfortunate.

Licaon_Kter

Hey M users, can I have a request?

Can anyone/everyone please see my reported bugs ( https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?reported_by=~licaon_kter ) and maybe at least confirm/deny them, either here/on their threads/on bitbucket so that we can get more data points or something?

Cheers and thank you.

dfort

Wow Licaon_Kter, looks like you've been working hard on ML for EOS-M.

I take it that testers should be using magiclantern-Nightly.2015Apr19.EOSM202 since the newer builds have been failing. I'll try to reproduce and comment on your bug reports.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: dfort on May 30, 2015, 08:49:57 PMWow Licaon_Kter, looks like you've been working hard on ML for EOS-M.
I'm barely shooting, only on weekends, mostly family stuff, by I did stumble upon those even as a n00b that I am.

Quote from: dfort on May 30, 2015, 08:49:57 PM
I take it that testers should be using magiclantern-Nightly.2015Apr19.EOSM202 since the newer builds have been failing. I'll try to reproduce and comment on your bug reports.
Actually the most important ones are before April 19. The breakage after that is intentional, this thread actually: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14959 where we did try to help out but I'm not sure what we can do better/more, I actually don't understand half of those things anyway. :P

BTW, there is nothing extra, except the DoF info verbose patch that one would be missing when using the April 19 build compared with a un-broke newer build.

Thanks for helping

dfort

Nice progress on your bug reports. You're doing things I never knew could be done with this camera, ML keeps amazing me. Hope you get your fixes into the nightly build. Speaking of, it would be nice if nightly EOS-M builds get fixed.

Some day I might dive into the code and try getting Audio RemoteShot working again but since I don't have a coding background that will be a long shot. :-\

Licaon_Kter

No, no, no, I don't have any fixes, unfortunately, I only stumble on issues.  :-[

I hope that somehow a1ex can read my detailed reports and repro steps and get the same results on a different camera model or in QEMU and track it down, given his knowledge of the code that is.

dfort

Replying to David Goldwasser to his reply #608 back on May 07, 2015

I noticed a while back you posted some questions about extending the battery life on the EOS-M for timelapse. Sorry I was busy on other projects when you posted this but I thought I'd share a solution that has worked for me.

When I did my first timelapse using ML on the EOS-M I knew that the internal battery wasn't going to cut it because I was shooting a couple of artists doing a painting at a 4-hour event. I used a cheap third party AC adapter that I bought through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDK0BOA

It worked great but it got me thinking about what to do when there isn't an electrical outlet nearby. The EOS-M batteries are 7.4V and I found that these batteries made for radio controlled cars were also 7.4V:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKPAR6

So I cut the cable on the AC adapter, spliced in a Tamiya connector to plug in the battery and it worked. It got a real workout a few weeks ago when I took a timelapse workshop in the desert and my little EOS-M kept clicking away all night while the big boys with their DSLR's had to pack it in because their batteries ran out.

If you combine this with some battery saving settings like turning off live view, silent shutter, etc. this could give you even longer shooting times though honestly I've never run one of these batteries out in the field.

I'm sending you a PM in addition to posting it on the forum because if you're like me you might have a hard time searching through the forums for an answer to your question.

Licaon_Kter

After I got my M I was testing the settings, looking around ML, messing basically, and I was struck/disappointed by the fact that after half an hour or so the battery would go to yellow/red, as in empty. So reading around, got that the LV is using so much power hence using it in the menus and/or LV will drain it fast, but I was still not convinced, I though that the battery and/or camera was broken.

So I did a simple test, with the help of ML, 32gb empty card, RAW file only, intevalometer, 5 seconds, GO.

Result: >50gb in 2207 pictures in a little more than 3 hours.

Now, that doesn't mean much since the LV mostly stayed on for less that 1 second after every picture, but for me I understood that the camera/battery are not broken at least.
Also I understood that using it on a simple workflow of: open, quick setting, picture, no preview (mostly), close, will serve me good enough.

For pros or far away from a wall plug, yeah, a second/third battery might be needed, and it's on my list also.

Pharinen

Quote from: dfort on June 07, 2015, 09:06:13 PM
*snip*
I'm also looking for external battery solution for my EOS M.

I don't know if could help me since you have build one.  :D

My original plan was to buy this: http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc%C2%AE-20000mAh-Precise-External-Smartphones/dp/B00LHB51GO

and plug it into Canon's original DC coupler for EOS M(Canon DR-E12). The problem is that I don't find anywhere what is the size of that DC plug on that DC coupler so that I could buy adapter for it! Do you know the dimensions of that DC plug which goes to the "dummy battery"?

Other thing is that now I'm second guessing if that power bank can deliver enough power. It is rated at 8.4V 1A. Voltage should be fine(fully charged canon battery outputs over 8V) but I don't know if 1A is enough.  ???

Frank7D

QuoteI'm also looking for external battery solution for my EOS M.

It's a little bulky, but I got these three things:

power inverter
battery
battery charger

...and now I have AC power wherever I go.

You could combine that with an AC adapter for your camera.

dfort

Just wondering if this is a bug or a feature.

In the Canon menu, 4th wrench, Custom Functions(C.Fn), C.FnIV:Operations Others Trash button, set it to 0:Normal(set center AF point)

Now the Trash button brings up the ML menu. That's fine unless you really wanted a button to center the AF point.

Is this documented somewhere?