Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Griffith

A heads up. EOS-M build is currently failing, I hope this means new goodies are in the works. :)

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: Marc Griffith on April 29, 2015, 05:02:04 PMA heads up. EOS-M build is currently failing, I hope this means new goodies are in the works. :)
This needs fixing, hence the hold up, contribute to unblock it: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14959

EosM-User

Hi,

is there a reason why all the focus specific stuff in the eos-m build is disabled ? (like stack focus, rack focus ...)
I tried to use the Focus Infinity Module (foc_inf.mo) but it wont change the focus so i think the problem is that even the basic api focus controls like lens_focus() in focus.h are not working for eos-m ?

DeafEyeJedi

*feedbacks*

Guys... I just decided today to randomly test out the M with AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D (with Fotodiox lens mount adapter) and it wouldn't allow me to record MLV/RAW or even take photos on the M.

Once I then took the Nikkor lens off and swap it with Canon lenses... it was back in working condition. Not a big deal to me but just thought it may be worth noting unless I'm missing something?

Is this normal?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

350D

@DeafEyeJedi Check and update your "Custom function 7 " in Canon settings menu

DeafEyeJedi

That's probably it. Will check on that and report back!

Thanks, @350D!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

David Goldwasser

I have been shooting time lapse with a 20D and a TC-80N3 remote. I find my Sony RX100 out shoots it by lot, in particular at night, but it doesn't have a good way to do time lapse, plus I miss all my canon lens, I tend to use a lot of wide lenses; Canon 10-22EFS and Sigma 18mm fisheye being my favorite. I don't shoot professionally anymore so I don't want the cost or bulk of the 70d, and I'm leaning toward the original Eos M. Traveling with kids it is nice to have a smaller camera. I can keep 22 on for quick shooting, but will use adapter for my other lens a lot.

My question is about battery life when shooting time lapse. Didn't know if anyone had experience with it that they can share. I know there are a number of settings I can configure that will impact this. I will be traveling for 8 days without my computer and the idea of the FPS sounds convenient to save space on memory card (although they are so big now, maybe not a big issue) but of course I give up resolution, mainly important if I wanted to do some zooming on the time lapse. FYI - going to Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, X=Zion , Bryce, and Capital Reef on road trip. That is what is spurring me to make a decision.

Any thoughts,

walaw

Latest Build
This Build Failed!  :o

I need magic-lantern for my eos m - because I need to record a video which is longer than 29 mins. Where can I get a magiclantern build now?

Walter Schulz

You may want to press button "Show older builds" and try one of those 223 builds before build 224.

Walter Schulz

Test please (latest build needed):
Switch Magic Zoom to Fullscreen mode. Does screen look fine or is there some kind of vertical splitt with "tiles"?

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: walaw on May 12, 2015, 08:22:52 PM
This Build Failed!  :o
I need magic-lantern for my eos m - because I need to record a video which is longer than 29 mins. Where can I get a magiclantern build now?
It's broken because of this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14959
And you are not missing much anyway, use the magiclantern-Nightly.2015Apr19.EOSM202.zip from the Older builds

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 13, 2015, 01:47:33 PM
Test please (latest build needed):
Switch Magic Zoom to Fullscreen mode. Does screen look fine or is there some kind of vertical splitt with "tiles"?
Not a M feature: https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features ;)

grey

There is developer of nightly for EOS M? Why progress is stopped? 
Many things implemented in ML ports for 6D and 70D not work on M. What about recording in MLV? Why i can not record without squeezing by vertical?
Silent picture produces black images. Magic Zoom not work as it should.  My EOS M was broken for long time, and i use ML mostly on 6D. And now when i'm repair M and install ML fo it I lost a lot of the usual functionality. Very sad...  ::)

Licaon_Kter

> There is developer of nightly for EOS M? Why progress is stopped?
This is a blocker: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14959
Contribute, maybe you can help, although you are not missing anything compared to the latest good build of April 19.
BTW, progress has not stopped in any form or fashion, you can undo the error line and it will compile just fine, but the issue in the thread still stands.

> Many things implemented in ML ports for 6D and 70D not work on M.
Correct, try this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12657.0
Different cameras... you can't just compare 6D and a M, c'mon.

> What about recording in MLV? Why i can not record without squeezing by vertical?
The camera can't handle a bigger resolution/data rate, try a 5DIII if you want more. ;)
Some info about what it can do: https://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

> Silent picture produces black images.
Report this in the right thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.725
FYI, it's working fine for me and others on M, except that pesky lens not closing to correct aperture bug.

> Magic Zoom not work as it should
Details?

> And now when i'm repair M and install ML fo it I lost a lot of the usual functionality.
What did you lose exactly?
What build had everything you wanted?

Also, what was the problem with your M and how did you fix it?

JamesGreen

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help.

I installed magic lantern on my canon eos M however due to the shutter bug I decided to delete it, however i completely messed this process up! I took the card out and blanked it on my computer. When putting it into the camera it just flashes green constantly. I tried putting the firmware 2.0.2 onto another memory card and i can get into the camera this way however when i go to the 4th wrench menu to reroute it all of the options have gone

Does anyone know how i can get my camera back to how it was when i bought it with the original sd card??

Thank you,

James

Licaon_Kter

put ML on the card again and uninstall from the camera first

see this: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

grey

To Licaon_Kter

May be you misunderstand me in some things. English is not my native language ,so I can't describe all widely. Google translate is not the answer. And I practice English only on forums like this.  :(

About Magic Zoom: image flickers in zoomed part.

About MLV record. I use my 6D and 70D to record mlv video. And bandwidh of SD card ~40 MB/S is quite usable for me. As I know EOS M has the same SD card  bandwidh. Why i can't record MLV with same settings as on 6D or 70D? Image is squeezeed vertically. May be i do some thing wrong?

I try FRSP again, and report about results.

About repair. Multicontroller(wheel+5 buttons) worked not good, i disassembled it to clean and accidentally broke ribbon cable. Needed detail shipped not so quick. On last week I install new parts and now camera work like a new.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: grey on May 21, 2015, 02:21:34 AMWhy i can't record MLV with same settings as on 6D or 70D?
Yes, but it's not only a card speed issue, it's a different camera, one that costs 1/3 or 1/5 or there about by comparison. :P

glassescreditsroll

i dont seem to find anything on why eosm dosent have focus controls like rack focus and focus pulling?

josepvm

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on May 21, 2015, 03:25:26 AM
i dont seem to find anything on why eosm dosent have focus controls like rack focus and focus pulling?

Probably because the M uses a different lens system (EF-M mount). And probably this implies different code in firmware to control the focus. And also probably no developer has found yet the way to get the ML focus related stuff working, due to these differences.

grey

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on May 21, 2015, 02:28:54 AM
Yes, but it's not only a card speed issue, it's a different camera, one that costs 1/3 or 1/5 or there about by comparison. :P

EOS M is almoust identical to EOS 650D/700D. And these cameras can record MLV with almost same settings as 6D or 70D. Why EOS M can't?

dmilligan

Quote from: grey on May 22, 2015, 01:19:58 AM
EOS M is almoust identical to EOS 650D/700D
Heh. Have you seen a picture of these cameras? I would hardly call them "almost identical". In fact, the M is about the most different camera from the rest of the cameras supported by ML, it's actually not even in the same category of camera (i.e. it's a "mirrorless" camera not a "dslr" technically), it even has it's own unique lens mount. The difference is not just physical either. The M is probably the most different from the rest of the cameras in terms of internals and Canon and ML code (with the possible exception of the old VxWorks cameras, like 5Dc). There are quite a few special/unique exceptions for the M in ML code (obviously all cameras have their own unique things in the ML code base, but the M's things tend to be the most unique or non-standard compared to other cameras).

grey

Quote from: dmilligan on May 22, 2015, 02:10:53 AM
Heh. Have you seen a picture of these cameras? I would hardly call them "almost identical". In fact, the M is about the most different camera from the rest of the cameras supported by ML, it's actually not even in the same category of camera (i.e. it's a "mirrorless" camera not a "dslr" technically), it even has it's own unique lens mount. The difference is not just physical either. The M is probably the most different from the rest of the cameras in terms of internals and Canon and ML code (with the possible exception of the old VxWorks cameras, like 5Dc). There are quite a few special/unique exceptions for the M in ML code (obviously all cameras have their own unique things in the ML code base, but the M's things tend to be the most unique or non-standard compared to other cameras).

I am not a coder, but M has same CPU, Digic, CMOS chip, card interface as 650D. ML work mostly in LV mode on DSLR's, so mirror is most unnecessary thing in camera for ML. IMHO.

Walter Schulz

Your logic is flawed. Because ML works fine in Liveview with 650D and M both it doesn't mean there is no difference between firmware versions for both cams.