UFRaw-mod - a tweaked version of UFRaw

Started by a1ex, December 18, 2013, 06:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

I decided to throw all my UFRaw patches in a repository, so you guys can try them until they will be - hopefully - integrated in the official version.

Source code on Bitbucket (with changelog and issue tracker)
Windows binaries (ufraw.exe and ufraw-batch.exe, plus a bunch of DLLs)

Tip: if you are on Mac/Linux and don't feel like typing "./configure && make && make install", you can run my executable under Wine.

The patches:
- custom soft-film curve with nicer highlight rolloff
- overexposure fixes (hopefully solves these issues)
- white balance on skintones (work in progress, hardcoded for 5D3 for now)
- experimental support for 32-bit floating point DNG files created by CeroNoice (exposure slider extended until +20 EV; be careful, it can be slow)

Note that I don't use the Windows version myself (I use a Linux binary compiled from the same source, but the versions of the underlying libraries may differ). I've opened it under Wine, dragged some sliders, saved a jpeg, but that was it. If it behaves weird, please report it to my issue tracker on Bitbucket. Of course, if your issue is also present in stock ufraw, report it there.

Here I'd like to see feedback on the above modifications, difficult test cases where they either helped or made things worse, comparisons with stock UFRaw, stuff like that.

Some pictures and screenshots:

Happy pixel peeping!

Greg

pilgrim

Work very well on Windows 7 - 64bit.
The button for skin tone is really very useful. If the colour of the wall or the tree not correct is not disturbing, but the wrong colour skin is really disturbing. I know that all of you know that, just underlining  ;)

In real life, not in studio, is not always easy and practical with the chip card, and the good moment sometime to short.
Thanks a lots Alex for the better and easier result. 

a1ex

Solved. This shot is quite tricky, can you post the final rendering?

Audionut

No idea on a final rendering, I wouldn't normally take a shot like that.  I'd rather shot into the light and gel a flash.  I noticed the light and was curious what your skin WB would do  :)

Without a flash, shooting further away from the light is much more preferable imo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/UFRAW/_UAL3933.DNG

Audionut

Pale skin tones are throwing it off.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/UFRAW/_46A3994.CR2

His right arm was more accurate but still about 1.3K to warm imo.

This looks more neutral to me.

Audionut

Pink highlights with the soft film curve.  Ugly highlights with the linear curve.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/UFRAW/D46A7025.CR2

Shot includes colorchecker.  Second row from the bottom of the card contains patches for progressively warmer skin tones from right to left as looking at it.

a1ex

White level is bad, try converting the CR2 to DNG with Adobe DNG first.

a1ex

Been playing with the soft-film curve used here, and just came up with this graph:

(I'm experimenting with burning this curve into DNG files - it would compress highlights in order to squeeze more shadow detail into a 16-bit integer container; could be useful for dual ISO and CeroNoice as a trick to maintain compatibility with 16-bit raw processors)

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on February 02, 2014, 08:37:32 PM
I'm experimenting with burning this curve into DNG files - it would compress highlights in order to squeeze more shadow detail into a 16-bit integer container

Good idea in general because the first thing I'm usually doing after importing even vanilla shots is to set some highlight recovery in Lightroom, usually the highlights are too extended, at least for what I shoot. For dual_iso shoots, this would be even more valuable, I usually would like to set highlights to -200 but -100 is the max value :-\

ADJ

Quote from: pilgrim on December 21, 2013, 12:33:52 AM
Works very well on Windows 7 - 64bit.
I was trying to use Alex's patches tonight but cannot get them working. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. There are two sets of files which I could download at https://bitbucket.org/a1ex/ufraw-mod/downloads
I assume I should just download the most recent zip, extract the files, and overwrite the Ufraw versions. This is not working for me. I have some ETTR timelapes and I have some pixels going pink/magenta in the overexposed areas. The files are working fine with UFRAW except for the magenta areas. I tried the other zip but that's not doing much either. I did reboot after overwriting the files.

Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

RenatoPhoto maybe you'd like to update 1. for windows users from the UFRAW WORKFLOW section

"...I used the windows for dummies version from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ufraw/files/ufraw/ufraw-0.19.2/ufraw-0.19.2-2-setup.exe/download"

to mention Alex's updates?
I'm using Windows7 x64 Home Premium SP1, i3 CPU, 8GB RAM. The camera is a 50D on a fairly recent nightly.

a1ex

Do you have some sample raw files where I can look?

ADJ

Thanks A1ex for offering to take a look. I uploaded some files to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/myapniqklu5fm8k/cizAKnZQDm

File 7294 is probably the one to look at. I was just using the intervalometer for the first time and so had a go at a sunrise. I can improve the bad photography but the pink highlights are beyond me.

a1ex

When you get pink highlights, it's usually the white level wrong (ufraw and dcraw use some hardcoded values which are not always good).

Workaround: convert the CR2 to DNG with Adobe DNG converter. That one has some more chances to get it right, and if not, you can tweak it with exiftool.

If it doesn't help, upload the CR2 for that file.

Also note that ufraw's highlight recovery is not exactly the best, but grayscale detail is recovered pretty well if the white level is correct.

djronbxs

The windows binaries link is not working.

Walter Schulz