MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch_d

Quote from: baldand on December 20, 2013, 07:01:30 PM
I think you probably would be able to get it working ok on 10.8.5 by building from source following the steps here (assuming you have XCode & the command line compiler):

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91924#msg91924

any luck on 10.8? are there any compiled versions for 10.8?

on 10.9 it works like a charm, but my super-power-machine runs 10.8 and i donĀ“t want to upgrade this machine (to many glitches on 10.9)
5D MII

ouuzi

Is it possible to apply a LUT during export?That would be awesome.
imagine the workflow.
Load the file with MlRawViewer>apply LUT>export as ProRes 444>Grade in your favourite application!!!

baldand

Quote from: ouuzi on December 23, 2013, 03:54:54 PM
Is it possible to apply a LUT during export?That would be awesome.
imagine the workflow.
Load the file with MlRawViewer>apply LUT>export as ProRes 444>Grade in your favourite application!!!

I would like to make that possible eventually.

There's an enhancement issue for it in bitbucket. Feel free to attach a LUT file as an attachment that I can use for testing the feature if/when it gets implemented.

https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/18/log-output-and-3d-luts-should-be-supported

ouuzi

sorry i was in a hurry and did not noticed my text.I wanted to say if you apply a log curve during conversion.This is even better because after you can grade with an LUT in your favourite application.
I think i saw in ffmpeg an option for this.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: baldand on December 23, 2013, 05:22:16 PM
I would like to make that possible eventually.

There's an enhancement issue for it in bitbucket. Feel free to attach a LUT file as an attachment that I can use for testing the feature if/when it gets implemented.

https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/18/log-output-and-3d-luts-should-be-supported

It's a great idea.

AnotherDave

Any chance you can update this to play the embedded audio? :-)

swinxx

1. merry christmas to everyone..
2. great viewer.

it could for sure become a great tool when the development still goes on.. very nice.

would it be possible to add the following functions:

1. select in/outpoint
2. convert that selection to dngs
3. audio support
4. a lightweight gui with a small file browser and the possibility to select the files directly..
5. a way to select an output folder
6. convert button
7. spanned files

thank you so much - a really great tool and it would perfectly work on the set and in the studio if those functions would be included.

thx. peace&love.

ItsMeLenny

1. This is something I want to work on for the GUI, which still isn't functioning how it needs to.
2. Possibly, it can essentially convert to anything, at the moment only ffmpeg is coded in.
3. Being worked on (not by me).
4. Being worked on by me. If you pull the latest git and run: mlrawgui.py
5. Should already be available, when you're typing where you want it to be saved to.
6. Eventually in the gui, still being worked on.
7. I personally can't answer this one.

AnotherDave

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on December 25, 2013, 05:30:50 AM
1. This is something I want to work on for the GUI, which still isn't functioning how it needs to.
2. Possibly, it can essentially convert to anything, at the moment only ffmpeg is coded in.
3. Being worked on (not by me).
4. Being worked on by me. If you pull the latest git and run: mlrawgui.py
5. Should already be available, when you're typing where you want it to be saved to.
6. Eventually in the gui, still being worked on.
7. I personally can't answer this one.

We all know he was stating the obvious, but there is no need to be a jerk about it.  This viewer is amazing, and the developer doesn't seem to NOT be asking for user feedback.

baldand

Quote from: AnotherDave on December 25, 2013, 05:41:08 AM
We all know he was stating the obvious, but there is no need to be a jerk about it.

I think you misunderstood. ItsMeLenny has also been contributing to the development of MlRawViewer.

Quote from: AnotherDave on December 24, 2013, 06:04:27 PM
Any chance you can update this to play the embedded audio? :-)

It's being worked on. There is already support for parsing the audio blocks in the latest code, but it's not yet playing them.

Quote from: swinxx on December 24, 2013, 07:10:07 PM
1. select in/outpoint
2. convert that selection to dngs
3. audio support
4. a lightweight gui with a small file browser and the possibility to select the files directly..
5. a way to select an output folder
6. convert button
7. spanned files

1. Maybe, so ItsMeLenny answer earlier
2. Could be added, though my feeling is that's quite well covered by existing tools
3. In progress
4. Agree this is needed, see ItsMeLenny answer
5. It's there in command line args, but GUI version needed
6. Needed in GUI
7. Should be supported already fine - if you mean .M00/M01 or R00/R01 files. Have these not worked for you?

Please post enhancement requests to the bitbucket issues page (mark as type "Enhancement" instead of bug) or vote on the existing ones listed to get them done sooner :-)

https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issues

Finally, I made a new version of the Mac installer which I've tested on 10.7 and 10.9. I'm hoping it will work ok on 10.8 also. Anyone on an earlier OS X release than 10.9 that had troubles earlier, please try it out to see if you have more luck.

https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1.0.3_alpha.dmg

Happy Christmas!

Danne

Spanned files works totally fine. This means it will convert spanned files to ProRes on the fly? Still waiting for my upgaded computer with nvidida graphic card :).

Nice to hear all these things being worked on. Such a perfect tool for working with rawfiles.
Thanks!
/D

ch_d

Quote from: baldand on December 25, 2013, 09:22:04 PM

Finally, I made a new version of the Mac installer which I've tested on 10.7 and 10.9. I'm hoping it will work ok on 10.8 also. Anyone on an earlier OS X release than 10.9 that had troubles earlier, please try it out to see if you have more luck.

YES! worx here on 10.8.5 ... Thank you!
5D MII

Midphase

Thank you so much, this is a lifesaver in OS X, believe it or not it's a critical missing element which makes a huge difference in the usability of ML raw in film productions.

You rock!!!

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: AnotherDave on December 25, 2013, 05:41:08 AM
We all know he was stating the obvious, but there is no need to be a jerk about it.  This viewer is amazing, and the developer doesn't seem to NOT be asking for user feedback.
To this I am going to say; WTF?
And see baldand's response.

swinxx

@baldand, ItsMeLenny

thx for the replies.

add on point 2: i know that there are some tools available for the conversion to dngs, i  however would prefere a solution within only your app. ;) why? cause you have made the by far best available viewer!
so the great thing within your app is that the files can be greatly previewed :) if there would be a possibility to select in and out points, and then put them into a batch file list for later conversion, the tool would be the most useful tool for a production in the new mlv format.. why not offering a conversion of those in and out point segments to dngs or cinemadngs for workflows with e.g. davinci resolve. we could then have the advantage of adjusting the white balance later on - which is a main raw feature for me

add on point 7: works with the latest version.. ;) thx

i have seen that you have implemented 1.4 stretch factor for high fps stuff. great.. would it be possible to implement anamorphic squeeze too, for the anamorphic shooters..? the anamorphic material is stretched vertically (1.5x, 2x, or in special cases 1.4x) so it must be squeezed in the oposite direction as the high fps material
would be nice for previewing that..

thx for all the effort.

sw

MA Visuals

Awesome viewer!  The performance and quality of playback is really amazing.  Is there a way to change the encoding output to 23.976 fps?  If not, is this something that is planned?  Also, are there plans to allow vertical scaling of the prores output to unsquash 50/60p files?  Again, well done!

baldand

Quote from: MA Visuals on December 28, 2013, 07:02:38 PM
Is there a way to change the encoding output to 23.976 fps?  If not, is this something that is planned?  Also, are there plans to allow vertical scaling of the prores output to unsquash 50/60p files?  Again, well done!

The current code in git should pass the frame rate from the source file to the encoder, but only the Mac 1.0.3 DMG binary includes that - not the current windows binary - and I have to admit I haven't tested it with 23.976. If you are using Mac, upgrade to the 1.0.3 to try that. If you are using Win, you'll need to wait for a new installer or install from source.

It would be possible to up-scale the content when encoding, but I suppose we aren't 100% confident right now that we know the correct scale factors for all cameras so that this could work reliably automatically.

MA Visuals

Quote from: baldand on December 28, 2013, 08:42:20 PM
If you are using Win, you'll need to wait for a new installer or install from source.

I'm running Window 7 64bit.  It always outputs 25fps, even though my source files are 23.976.  I understand why now.   I guess I'll wait for the new windows installer.

Quote from: baldand on December 28, 2013, 08:42:20 PM
It would be possible to up-scale the content when encoding, but I suppose we aren't 100% confident right now that we know the correct scale factors for all cameras so that this could work reliably automatically.

Thanks for the clarification.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: MA Visuals on December 28, 2013, 07:02:38 PM
Also, are there plans to allow vertical scaling of the prores output to unsquash 50/60p files?
You can watch the video un-squashed by pressing 'A' (whether it un-squashes it correctly though).
Although un-squashed output is probably more sought after it's usually better to keep the pixels square when editing and un-squash in your video program.
(Just a suggestion).

AnotherDave

When I run the latest version on OS 10.7, it produces a random .WAV file in the source folder...  why?  Any chance we'll get sound playback soon?

BTW, you are the man!

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on December 26, 2013, 02:18:42 AM
To this I am going to say; WTF?
And see baldand's response.
Sorry, I think at first glance it just appeared to be someone complaining. 

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: AnotherDave on December 29, 2013, 07:31:34 PM
Sorry, I think at first glance it just appeared to be someone complaining.
Yes... I was complaining how I was working on the gui...
I merely answered the questions, the numbers matched up.

Sganzerla

pind

My first RAW with ML  --->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvztBDW2mWc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUppNuhISexbdjO8Rg-3YbBA 5D3 + ML Canon 28-70mm f2.8 17-35mm f2.8

timbytheriver

@baldand Just caught up with your latest package for Mac. It's now working well on OSX 10.7.5!

Thank-you so much! This is a gem of a project. :)

tim
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Jakobmen

bald can we do Encoding frame sequences to ProRes & DNxHD? because the codec is free.
Canon 5D3