MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Licaon_Kter

Two things:
1. Latest version is 1.4.3
2. this app is no longer developed (it's 2 years old), is the current MLVFS not working for you?

12georgiadis

1.4.3 not working on mac with lj92 patch (tried comp 14,12,10bits)

Licaon_Kter

What part of "this is not developed for years" was unclear? Of course new MLV files would likely not work, since 10/12 bits and other stuff is recent.

12georgiadis

@licaon_Kter yes but if it was not updated for years, why There is an updated version 1.4.3 with LJ92 in the name?

Moreover, to have à Quick preview, mlvfs is superslow whereas mlrawviewer is faster.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Licaon_Kter

Oh right that one, indeed, it replaces mlv_dump, albeit it does not modify anything else IIRC, so yeah results might not be up to date.

Now, any problems running MLVFS (since that's the one that has developers and a future) ?

Prokopios

Also check out MLVProducer, you can do all modifications just like in ACR straight in MLVProducer. I'm testing now.
Will also check out MLVFS. Is there an exact guide for installing and running MLVFS, for PC??

12georgiadis

Mlvfs is perfect for post-processing. The only thing we need now is a Quick preview GPU tool. Mlvfs is too slow for preview.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

masc

Quote from: 12georgiadis on August 14, 2017, 03:44:11 PM
The only thing we need now is a Quick preview GPU tool. Mlvfs is too slow for preview.
That is not true. If you have a GPU which is good enough, you can use MLVFS + Resolve and you have a realtime preview.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

What's fine with MlRawViewer is that it can preview dng files. So, by opening a dng file from let's say mlvfs you will bypass all lossless/10/12bit problems.
In scriptbased app "Switch" I use this bypass technique by simply dragging a MLV file straight to the Switch icon.

12georgiadis

Quote from: masc on August 14, 2017, 03:55:13 PM
That is not true. If you have a GPU which is good enough, you can use MLVFS + Resolve and you have a realtime preview.

Sorry but I have difficulties to get realtime preview with a GPU 4GB ddr5 from a mac tower. On the other hands, no problem with blackmagic cinema DNG (realtime even with 30p). So please tell me how you do that. By the way, no realtime for most laptop. On MLrawviewer, when the loading bar is complete you can preview quickly. But I love MLVFS ;-)

12georgiadis

Quote from: Danne on August 14, 2017, 04:45:48 PM
What's fine with MlRawViewer is that it can preview dng files. So, by opening a dng file from let's say mlvfs you will bypass all lossless/10/12bit problems.
In scriptbased app "Switch" I use this bypass technique by simply dragging a MLV file straight to the Switch icon.

wow great ! It's working now with 1.4.3 ! Thanks Danne

Kharak

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 26, 2017, 07:56:56 PM
Here's yet another breakthrough from @bouncyball's recent mod work w this supercharged MLVFS which then prompt @Danne to update his already incredible tool in cr2hdr.app_lj92 which now includes a working version of latest MlRawViewer to preview lossless MLV's.

You read that right, guys. So because of that there's good news. The news you guys have been waiting for.

Here's a current working copy of the newly morphed MlRawViewer 1.4.3 (basically the same as what it was previously but w the new mlv_dump) for those who don't know how to replace it under package content:
https://bitbucket.org/DeafEyeJedi/magic-lantern/downloads/MlRawViewer_lj92.zip

Enjoy and happy shooting!

Credit also goes out to @martinhering, @g3gg0 and everyone else on board for making this possible sooner rather than later.  :)

p.s. @baldand -- Hope you're reading this with all smiles that your work has been revived once again!

How do I do this for Windows? I cannot find a MLV_dump in the folder?

Edit: is this specific to MLVFS ?
once you go raw you never go back

bouncyball

Nope it's not. It's just Danne's Switch uses MLRawViewer for previewing DNGs produced either by MLVFS or mlv_dump ;)

Kharak

Okey, well then its working on Windows aswell. I can play the DNG output from MLV_Dump in MLRawViewer.

cosmo.lv

MiRawViewer not working well on OSX High sierra, there are some glitches.
When hover with mouse pointer on miraw app window the pointer dissapears and it works bad there :(

Anyway there are long time without updates. :)
5D Mark II

Licaon_Kter

hwdbk

I've been working on updating mlrawviewer 1.4.3 to also support 10 and 12-bit raw MLV files, and MLV files that use in-camera LJPEG92 compression (so-called 'compressed RAW' MLV files).

So far, I've been able to fix MlRaw.py and bitunpack.c in such a way that, on my computer, mlrawviewer now plays all types of files I can get out of the current crop_rec_4k branch, i.e.
- 10, 12, and 14 bit raw MLV
- the 8-11, 12 and 14 bit compressed (LJPEG92) MLVs
but also
- compressed and uncompressed DNGs created by mlv_dump (the DNGs are 14-bits - don't know how to create 10 or 12-bits DNGs).

I currently work on MacOS Sierra but I see no reason why this wouldn't work on Windows - it's just that I don't have the dev env installed on Win.

Now the problem: I don't seem to be able to create a pull request on Andrew Baldwin's bitbucket repository. Is there anyone who can help me with this?

/Henk

Kharak

Wooah. If you manage to fix lossless playback for mlrawviewer, you will save me a lot of headache.

Baldwin has not been active for several years now. I suppose you might aswell make a new branch. As I think you could take over this project if you wanted to. But ofcourse, lets see what the higher ups here have to say. (I know next to nothing on how bitbucket works) But MLRawViewer is opensource and untouched for aboit 3-4 years, yet it stands at the core of almost every ML user.

Danne

@hwdbk Nicely done. Do you have your changes in any source tree? You could use bitbucket and upload the whole code you worked with there. Would also be nice to know how you compile MlRawViewer since I personally have a hard time compiling the code into something useful.

About creating a pull request. The way I´ve done it is by first forking a version of the original code into my own bitbucket repository. Once done with code changes which I work with locally on the computer, I push the changes into my own fork then I create the pull request from my bitbucket account repository.

hwdbk

Yeah, the headache of converting everything back to 14-bit MLV or DNG was just too much for me. And, it was an excellent excuse for me to peek under the hood of this piece of software (and mlv_dump, where it al starts, of course). So, the two main reasons for giving this a shot was a) to play whatever I recorded without further conversion and b) streamline the workflow in creating an edit-ready ProRes copy straight off the MLV (then, mlrawviewer would be some sort of speedgrade).

Compiling: yes, that was perhaps the steepest part of the learning curve - I had never programmed in Python before (I'm a C,C++,C#,bash guy still getting irritated about the dumb indents) but I kept a record of what I did to get it going (perhaps the cmake-glfw3-xcode exercise was the worst of it all). I'll include a howto.txt, but can't verify if it is any good: once you've installed all the modules and tools, there's no going back without a full restore and retry. And there's that other thing with distributing ffmpeg as part of the package that I am not comfortable with....

I'll see about the bitbucket. What you describe about forking in one's own repository makes sense and should work.

Danne

You could erase the ffmpeg binary after compiling. Well not if it´s gonna be used obviously but if MlRawViever is used primarily as a viewer...
Looking forward to a compiling guide and hopefully your code somewhere :)

Danne

Getting there but:

Check under settings.

*links working now. Nice.

a1ex

openSUSE:

sudo zypper install python-numpy python-PyAudio libglfw3
sudo pip2 install PyOpenGL==3.0.2

It works 8)

Tested with a 14-bit uncompressed and a 10-bit lossless MLV. Both rendered correctly.

Quirks:
- After pressing L, next time it will start with black screen and a bunch of errors in console. Don't panic - press L again (once, screen remains black), reboot and it's back to life.
- Pressing Q (I've assumed it's quit) gives corrupted display. Press Q again to get back to normal.
- Pressing TAB (full-screen) twice results in segfault.

hwdbk

[Q] turns the AMaZE demosaicing on and off. There is a code branch that does the decoding/decompression and demosaicing in one go - and still uses the quite-not-working bitunpack code. On my machine (Mac OS), this code never gets called because it first explicitly decodes the frame in 16 bit samples, and _then_ calls the demosaicing function.

Fixing the other 'broken' bitunpack readers (there were some 7 copies of approx the same code in there) is the next thing to do. Or is it getting my Ubunty VM up and running again? :-)