MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chmee

hmm. think most interesting would be 5DIII DualISO, EOS-M should be interesting cause of the af-pattern on sensor.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Toffifee

TKez

QuoteNow the only other idea that popped into my head is, what's the possibility of porting some of this code to a quick look plugin?
Quick and nasty lo-res preview would suffice, just something to make navigating heaps of arbitrarily named MLVs a bit more visual.
I can help with the quicklook framework side though I'm not so good with plain C.

Ok so maybe no ned to reinvent the wheel. Perian is dead but this is semi working, probably just needing a little tweak. Looking at the source it's just using VLCKit so once it's updated for new ffmpeg, this may work for MLV thumbnails and quicklook previews.

https://github.com/Marginal/QLVideo

EDIT: Ok on deeper inspection looks like this might only be good for thumbnails / static previews due to AVFramework. I would personally find even thumbnails helpful. Another option could be %50 snapshot for thumbnail and then a 4up static quicklook preview with 0%, %25, %50, %75. The workflow advantage being: with a folder full of MLVs, we can quickly tell which need to be transcoded and which need to be trashed.

nick.p

dfgh

@baldand It seems to crash with or without stripe correction on.

How do I get version 1.3.2?

baldand

Quote from: dfgh on October 16, 2014, 03:54:00 PM
@baldand It seems to crash with or without stripe correction on.

How do I get version 1.3.2?

Downloads page: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads

(However, I don't consider the 1.3.x series yet considered "stable" - 1.2.3 is still the official "stable" version)

chmee

@toffifee
yeah link it inside the samplefiles-thread as mentioned above.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

baldand

1.3.3 available for testing

https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads

This contains everything from previous 1.3.x releases, plus fixes for a few bugs:
- Fix for failure when exporting .RAW files with missing frames
- More robust search of spanning files. Won't be fooled/broken by .MLD dirs made by .MLVFS
- Fix for some encoding problems when using the C key to export all in a directory
- Fix (I hope...finally..) for the missing mouse cursor problem when switching to/from fullscreen
- Fix for bug when exporting file without LUT after file with LUT (LUT would be wrongly used)
- Fixes for some export robustness issues on Windows

Please try it out, and let me know if you have problems or not.

If you do have problems, try to first find the "mlrawviewer.log" file file from the hidden ".mlrawviewer" directory in your home directory, and share that.

swinxx

hello baland,
yes! thank you for further improvements and bug fixes, this is really great!!i wonder if you have also planned an update for vertical stripes correction optimization for 5d mk3?
this would be really great.

another thing that woud be really great for onset preview is the possibility to playback a looped sequence (from the in to out point) and not only a loop from the complete take.

thank you very much, mlrawviewer is getting better and better with every update,
swinxx

baldand

@swinxx at the moment I'm focusing mainly on bug fixes to make sure the current features are stable

DavidSh

Thank you @baldand,

- More robust search of spanning files. Won't be fooled/broken by .MLD dirs made by .MLVFS ---- Works Great

- Fix (I hope...finally..) for the missing mouse cursor problem when switching to/from fullscreen ---- At Last Work Great :)

Have not tried the other fixes

OSX Mavericks, Macbook air.
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

mdbatter

Well done to all the developers of MLRawViewer! 

Now I'm may be about to ask a silly question!  I have been happily using v1.1.6, but decided the other day to update to v 1.2.3.  But when I unzipped the file (I'm running win7), nothing would work.  The exe file does not run, nor if I drop an MLV file on it does anything happen. And no LOG file is produced in my User directory.  On further investigation, v1.1.7 will work, but not 1.2.0 or anything later (where there has obviously been a change since there were only 3 files in the zip folder up to v1.1.7, but 878 files for all later versions).  Am I doing something incredibly stupid?

Thanks.

baldand

Quote from: mdbatter on October 17, 2014, 11:42:38 PM

Now I'm may be about to ask a silly question!  I have been happily using v1.1.6, but decided the other day to update to v 1.2.3.  But when I unzipped the file (I'm running win7), nothing would work.  The exe file does not run, nor if I drop an MLV file on it does anything happen. And no LOG file is produced in my User directory.  On further investigation, v1.1.7 will work, but not 1.2.0 or anything later (where there has obviously been a change since there were only 3 files in the zip folder up to v1.1.7, but 878 files for all later versions).  Am I doing something incredibly stupid?

Thanks.

It should have created a ".mlrawviewer" dir in your /Users/<username> folder. The log file is in there. After checking it, try deleting the whole dir and running again.

budafilms

DeafEyeJedi

BIG Thanks @Baldand for your most hyped update this week. I've been jonesing for this all day today because I could literally feel it!

What a coincidence to have this & @Danne's incredible cr2hdr-r application (automator) both get their nice updates today which I am currently in the process of it as I type  ;D

Stand by...

*EDIT*

Anyone else notice a lag within the app during .MOV exports on the latest MlRawViewer (1.3.3)?? To me, it seems much longer to render & I wonder why...

mdbatter

Quote from: mdbatter on Yesterday at 11:42:38 PM

Thanks.

It should have created a ".mlrawviewer" dir in your /Users/<username> folder. The log file is in there. After checking it, try deleting the whole dir and running again.

Baldand - thanks, but as I noted in my first post, there was no LOG file as there was no ".mlrawviewer" folder created.  Perhaps not surprising as the program did not appear to run at all. I have now tried on a win7 laptop with the same results: v1.1.7 works fine but 1.2.3 does not.  However, the laptop did create a ".mlrawviewer" folder but that did not contain a LOG file but it did contain three files named: "encodeType", "loopPlayback" and "updateVersion".  The latter just had "1.1.7" in it. the other two a couple of symbols only.

I assume I do not need to install Python separately on a win7 machine?  Otherwise, I am at my wits end as no-one else seems to have reported these problems.

simulacro

Hi, I tested the 1.3.3 version and regarding the problems I had before:
The batch conversion works really well and the weird motion is gone
My prores files from MLRV had very strange colours on some zones of the images and now it's only present on two videos, the color is different (present in blues and greens), before it was red, now it's pink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRZ9tLwD28k&feature=youtu.be

Below there is a jpg export from the dng's

¿could it be something related to my computer? MBpro mid 2009 Mountain Lion, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Regards

togg

- Fix for failure when exporting .RAW files with missing frames

Thanks a lot, I just had this problem yesterday. I'll test the new release!

jackinspain

Hi,

I've been succefully using the app "MlRawViewer" 1.2.3 and now the 1.3.3 but after some convertion it's not working anymore.

After trying many times I uninstall the app, reboot the Imac and reinstall the app but nothing to do, the convertion fuction from MLV to DNG's isn't working anymore (the other function are still working).

I experienced the same on my laptop (Macbookpro). :-(

Important job coming = scary moments...

Also I would like to be able to do the convertion as a batch process and not clip by clip because I loose too much time.

Many thanks,

Best,
Jacques

DeafEyeJedi

@baldand -- sorry for the delay but I also wanted to report some CR regarding a situation when I tap on 'W' to double check my destination folder for output DURING the process of rendering .MOV files and the app suddenly crashes (twice I tried same method)... is this normal for 1.3.3?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4cdl4aoydlusjs/CR_MlRawViewer_10%3A18%3A14.rtf?dl=0

I probably shouldn't have done this and wait until the rendering ends otherwise I wouldn't be asking this. Again, I absolutely am in awe of this remarkable app and will continue to support you as much as I can -- NO BIGGIE because I was only using my test files.  ;)

Other than the rendering is literally like 3X slower than what it used to be on previous versions... is there a reason for this?

talk soon.

baldand

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on October 19, 2014, 05:50:02 AM
Other than the rendering is literally like 3X slower than what it used to be on previous versions... is there a reason for this?

I am not able to reproduce this. Can you do some more quantitative tests and give more information:

- Exact details of your computer and operating system, source and target disk types
- Version numbers you are comparing, e.g. 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 (don't change any other aspect of your setup when comparing results)
- Encoding settings, e.g. how many LUTs, mapping function (e.g. Log-8, C-Log), stripe correction on or off
- Time taken to encode with old version
- Time taken to encode same files with same settings with new version

It might be worth checking time taken both with and without stripe correction since that is a more complex processing pipeline. Also good to test with more than one source file.

Also: Has anyone else seen a similar extreme performance regression with MOV encoding in 1.3.3 compared to earlier versions?

togg

I've experiences performance regression in dng export too. I don't know if I can test it today but I've not changed anything.

DavidSh

"Has anyone else seen a similar extreme performance regression with MOV encoding in 1.3.3 compared to earlier versions?"

Just checked, for me all is ok with .mov rendering.

macbook air, OSX Mavericks.
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

baldand

Quote from: togg on October 19, 2014, 10:28:21 AM
I've experiences performance regression in dng export too. I don't know if I can test it today but I've not changed anything.

That's expected in DNG export at least compared to 1.2.x series as the DNGs are now compressed. Although the slow-down should not be extreme.

The issue here was with MOV rendering/export.