MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kakiisch

QuoteThings to check
1. Check the export directory is valid. Press W and select a folder
2. If export still stays on 0%, press Y in case you have paused the exporting process
3. Find the log file and send to me. Look in your home folder for the hidden ".mlrawviewer" folder, and find mlrawviewer.log inside that.

The directory was "valid". Basically the issue was that I was, for the first time during all these tests, trying to use MLRV to footage that was on my external hard drive. And this USB3.0 capable HD is only using the not so optimal USB2.0 bottlenecked by my 6 year old motherboard. I'm not too code or tech savvy so the reason why MLRV wasn't able to convert the footage to .MOV is beyond my understanding. At least now I can convert the footage when I use my normal hard drive.

I appreciate your responses here on the forum and the commitment to this exquisite software.

coryaycock

Hi,

I've upgraded to 1.3.2 and all of my dngs are coming out pink now.  I don't know what it could be. It looks good in the Viewer, but after exporting...all pink.   Am I the only one experiencing this?

Nightly
7D

Modified Menu:
MLV Sound
FPS override 23.976
RAW video (MLV) 1728x972

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

baldand

Can you provide one pink DNG as a sample?
Is it a pink tint but the image is visible? (That's usually caused by a wrong black level) or just pink?
What program are you using to read the DNGs?

coryaycock

Hi baldand,

Using Adobe DNG.

I'm sorry, I'm an idiot and don't know how to do add an image to the message. 

The DNG image is half pink and I can't view the image through it.

I'm still a rookie, but it was really simple before, because I would just export from the Viewer, then import in ACR with no hassle.

baldand

Screenshot or sample DNG please.

Try viewing in another programming to check.

Also try converting with 1.2.3 to verify this is a regression in MlRawViewee

coryaycock

Ok, I'll try 1.2.3 and report back.

(Back)

Hmm...1.2.3 works for me.  No pink.

PhilSouth

Can anyone please help?

Im running windows 8.1 and I cannot get MlRawviewer 1.2.3 working properly. It is probably something that I have done in the set up.
When I go to open the app it will ask for the mlv file to be opened then when I select the file the program opens for a split second then it closes.

So far I downloaded the zip, Unzipped it. Downloaded Python, installed it. (i dont know if I am required to link the programs some how). And shot my first mlv footage. Now I need to convert to DNG some how for use in After effects.

Any Ideas of where I may have gone wrong?

Thanks.

baldand

Quote from: PhilSouth on October 05, 2014, 08:41:49 AM
Can anyone please help?

Im running windows 8.1 and I cannot get MlRawviewer 1.2.3 working properly. It is probably something that I have done in the set up.
When I go to open the app it will ask for the mlv file to be opened then when I select the file the program opens for a split second then it closes.

So far I downloaded the zip, Unzipped it. Downloaded Python, installed it. (i dont know if I am required to link the programs some how). And shot my first mlv footage. Now I need to convert to DNG some how for use in After effects.

Thanks.

You need to find the log file from the ".mlrawviewer" dir in your user home dir and share it.

Also, python is not needed. It's included in the binary

baldand

Quote from: coryaycock on October 05, 2014, 08:19:43 AM
Ok, I'll try 1.2.3 and report back.

(Back)

Hmm...1.2.3 works for me.  No pink.

Ok, sounds like a regression.

How old is the version of ACR you are using?

At this point you need to give me one of the DNGs to look at to see what is going on.

PhilSouth

Can anyone please help?

Thanks.

"You need to find the log file from the ".mlrawviewer" dir in your user home dir and share it.

Also, python is not needed. It's included in the binary"

Ok so i went through and found some share options and messed around with that. Then I right clicked the app and it gave me the option to run with my NVIDIA graphics card and that worked!

thanks for the help

ToS_Maverick

Thank you for your efforts Andrew!
cDNG compression works great!

1) I can confirm though, that the exposure is a little different than the RawMagic conversion. Something about 0.4 stops. My RM export needs 1.25 stops adjustment, your DNG export needs 1.65 stops. After that, the result seems to be the same (Color etc.)
2) Somehow RawMagic's cDNG is recognized by Resole on the spot, with MLRV's export I need to enter the directory to access the clip. Any idea why that could be? Some header missing in the dngs?

Let me know if you need further information!

chmee

TOS_Maverick could you give us so me info (folder/filenaming) and at least one dng and a WAV?
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

ToS_Maverick

Quote from: chmee on October 05, 2014, 01:06:10 PM
TOS_Maverick could you give us so me info (folder/filenaming) and at least one dng and a WAV?

Here you go:
http://www.michaelfischer.at/files/DNGDiff.zip

The RAWMagic variant (C0...) works fine, even only with this one DNG.

chmee

dmilligan

Quote from: ToS_Maverick on October 05, 2014, 11:28:07 AM
Something about 0.4 stops.
The DNG from RAWMagic has BaselineExposure: +0.40. I'm not sure why. In MLVFS, I put the "raw_info.exposure_bias" here, but I've never really seen it be anything other than zero.

Also the RAWMagic DNG has tag 51081, which is "ReelName" in the spec and it is set to the filename prefix/folder name. Perhaps this is why resolve sees the directory automatically? I'll experiment with this in MLVFS and see what I can find. @chmee, do you use this tag in raw2cdng?

chmee

@Tos_Maverick. ah, ok, thats nothing especial. for this "media"-behaviour you just need kind of filenaming-convention.

folder: blabla_C0000
dng-file: blabla_C0000_00001.dng
(for example)

thats the reason i built the filenamegenerator into raw2cdng. interesting would be the part with embedded audio, does this work? look here and here.

@dmilligan of course :) but it was not the solution for embedded (autosynced) audio.

ToS_Maverick

Quote from: chmee on October 05, 2014, 07:04:18 PM
@Tos_Maverick. ah, ok, thats nothing especial. for this "media"-behaviour you just need kind of filenaming-convention.

folder: blabla_C0000
dng-file: blabla_C0000_00001.dng
(for example)

thats the reason i built the filenamegenerator into raw2cdng. interesting would be the part with embedded audio, does this work? look here and here.

Ha, you are right, it works now!
Now it would be great if MLRV does that out of the box ;)

Can't help you with audio, my clips are .RAW (v1) without audio...

kyrobb

I've noticed that Curves and luts don't properly apply to squished 60p footage when exporting to ProRes. Footage always comes out much darker.

coryaycock

baldand

Quote from: kyrobb on October 05, 2014, 09:42:21 PM
I've noticed that Curves and luts don't properly apply to squished 60p footage when exporting to ProRes. Footage always comes out much darker.

Thanks for the report. I'll look into what's going on there

baldand

Quote from: coryaycock on October 05, 2014, 10:54:28 PM
@baldand

[imghttp://http:///img]

Using Lightroom 5.6.

Thanks. That looks very similar to what OS X Finder shows as preview for the compressed DNGs, also for BMPCC files. I would say it is reading the DNG tiles as if they are uncompressed. No idea why though. I need the DNG....

budafilms

@baldand I read your blog, great explanation!

I understood the idea is to get DNG compressed from RAW and MLVraw
But like you, I have terabytes of DNG and it´s a good idea that MlRawViewer can read DNG exported and compress to a lossless format.

Thanks

scatsy

QuoteI've noticed that Curves and luts don't properly apply to squished 60p footage when exporting to ProRes. Footage always comes out much darker.

I have similar problem, but I don't know if i am doing something wrong. I open the MLV, export the DNG and open in DaVinci, and the results are...

I Have this problem in 1.3.2 version too

hdclip

You are exporting DNG and not Prores...the prores whit curve and the dng without...it´s not?
Canon 7D Sandisk Extreme 60MB/seg, Lexar 32Gb X1000

baldand

Quote from: scatsy on October 06, 2014, 03:21:47 PM
I have similar problem, but I don't know if i am doing something wrong. I open the MLV, export the DNG and open in DaVinci, and the results are...

I Have this problem in 1.3.2 version too

LUTs are not applied to DNG exporting, only MOV.

DNGs contain all the original raw data so it doesn't make sense to apply a LUT as it would be throwing away info. You can apply LUTs inside Resolve.