MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToS_Maverick

Hi Kurt, ProRes 422 can be configured easily. If you need a different picture size, you can add a resize filter to the ffmpeg string.

Have a look at page 31, everything should be there!

baldand

Quote from: KurtAugust on August 19, 2014, 01:03:48 PM
I absolutely love the program. If only because audio becomes so much easier. And I prefer the color processing to Resolve. Would it be possible to also have a Prores 422 output setting? I love the debayering, but I seem to get more color noise at higher iso's than files processed with ACR (or am I doing something wrong). We could use 422 for offline editing.

For me personally, even if it still has some quirks, this is a huge step in the whole ML development. Thank you!

One downside with the AMaZE debayering is that it seems keen to "invent detail" whenever it processes more noisy content. It's also possible that some of the preprocessing I'm doing prior to debayer is making this worse, especially in darker areas - maybe something to look at in the future. 

Danne

Hi Andrew! Seems I get normal exports without magenta cast in highlights going from dng to mov after all with version 1.2.2. Don,t know what was before. Can have mixed up with some strange dng;s. Sorry if that is the case.

*update. So I found out that selecting stripe correction causes irregular magenta cast in highlights. Just tried. Without stripe correction on, no magenta issues.

Another question. I think it would be good to have the white balance picker set to pick as long as you like and after you found your correct white balance you could maybe press the picker again to exit the function? If it is hard to implement I,d rather have the way it was before. One pick is to little I believe. Leaves you to go select the picker to many times :).
/D

poromaa

I can confirm Danne about Magenta cast when Stripe/spot-correction is on. It only happens (it seems) if there is something overexposed in the scene.

KurtAugust

Quote from: ToS_Maverick on August 19, 2014, 01:50:24 PM
Hi Kurt, ProRes 422 can be configured easily. If you need a different picture size, you can add a resize filter to the ffmpeg string.

Have a look at page 31, everything should be there!

Thanks for pointing that out! So to recap for any other half-brained people like me out there using FCP 7 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (and perhaps myself in the future)

To set up Prores 422 HQ encoding with audio settings adjusted from page 31 here:

1) Make sure MLRawViewer is working well as it is.
2) Make hidden files visible in finder by either using the terminal or an application. Lazy as I am, I used the latter.
3) Go to your user directory. Then go to the hidden directory '.mlrawviewer' in there are the configuration files. You can made an alias of this directory and made it visible by removing the dot in front. Now you turn off showing hidden files and still have easy acces to the configuration files.
4) Open ffmpegWithAudioConfig. Make a copy of the standard Prores 4444 code for future reference (or just delete the file if you mess up and it will be regenerated). Insert this code for Prores 422 HQ encoding WITH audio that gets accepted by FCP7 (at least in my current testing)

-f mov -vf vflip -vcodec prores_ks -profile:v 3 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -acodec pcm_s16le %s.MOV

5) Save the configuration file.
6) Render out your files as would otherwise.

In my test files this generated perfectly accepted FCP 7. The code on page 31 made me render audio (known ffmpeg bug).
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

jonas18z

On mac the user interface is very different from regular programs. Why no meny system?  Just only shortcuts and icons?

I want a user interface more like Adobe media encoder or something like that add files and have a preset and batch

Or is this only me?

timbytheriver

@jonas18z Yup. It's only you.

QuoteI want a user interface more like Adobe media encoder or something like that add files and have a preset and batch

Did you actually read back your message before you posted it? Do you know that this app is FREE? Do you ever use the words please and thank-you?
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

jimmyD30

Free apps for experimental software are sometimes more focused on solid and stable functionality rather than fully-featured/feature rich graphical user interfaces and may have actually started off as a command-line tool with no GUI at all.

I'm sure the developer is interested in receiving user feedback, that's how apps get better, but keep in mind the free, open source, and experimental environment in which ML and its related apps exist in.

Also, with cross-platform apps, the GUI objects don't always translate well from OS to OS, so app creators may opt to minimize the usage of such to streamline development considering they are donating their time.

jonas18z

Sure, but why not just regular menus now you need to know what the icons menas and the shortcut to use the software.

dmilligan

Quote from: baldand on August 11, 2014, 06:35:29 PM
It very much sounds - though I can't confirm for sure without the files in my hands - as though the silent picture MLV code is not writing the MLVI block at the start of the subsequent files (.M00, .M01, etc) in the series.
Quote from: dmilligan on August 22, 2014, 06:18:22 PM
I've (hopefully) fixed the issue with MLVI headers. Testers needed: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/588/silent-pics-mlv-timelapse-write-the-mlvi/diff

swinxx

Hello! Can somebody please post the latest nighty with silen picture mlv for 5d mk3 cause i can not compile fir myself.  Thank you

jonas18z

Quote from: jimmyD30 on August 22, 2014, 04:49:49 PM
See above explanation ;)

But the menu  file-> source, hide console, clear console. Edit -> cut,copy, paste, clear, increase font sieze, decrease font size, start dictation, special charaters. Doesn't make any sense to me.  I din't try the linux and mac version.

For just playing files it's fine  but batch processing is a pain.
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/digital-video/batch-encoding-with-adobe-media-encoder/

also check raw2cdng for a much better workflow.

budafilms

Quote from: jonas18z on August 22, 2014, 06:54:11 PM
But the menu  file-> source, hide console, clear console. Edit -> cut,copy, paste, clear, increase font sieze, decrease font size, start dictation, special charaters. Doesn't make any sense to me.  I din't try the linux and mac version.

For just playing files it's fine  but batch processing is a pain.
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/digital-video/batch-encoding-with-adobe-media-encoder/

also check raw2cdng for a much better workflow.

Please, write a list with facts - not opinions or adjetives - about the differences between applications. It's confuse an emotional for others users that are looking for a good app. Thanks.

claudio

Hello,
I have a problem with the DNG files converted from MLV with MiRawViewer (1.2.2). When I open the DNG file in DaVinci Resolve Lite all the sequence is black. If I convert the same files in MOV the problem doesn't happen.
Thanks

Camera Canon 5d mark III ML
Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.8

baldand

Test build... I made a Mac test build of the current source as version 1.2.3

I've been working on some initial support for LUTs as an alternative to the standard curves. Up to 3 LUTs are supported - 1D -> 3D -> 1D. A few standard 1D LUTs are supplied, and more can be imported from .CUBE files. Import LUTs with Shift-L, and Use Shift LEFT/RIGHT, Shift UP/DOWN, Shift Z/X to select the LUTs. The UI is not at all polished, but I would be interested to hear early feedback from anyone who has some 3D or 1D LUTs they can try out. Don't forget to turn the old curves to Linear before you try the LUTs, else everything will be extra bright.

Due to popular demand, I also added some basic tool tips when hovering over buttons.

https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_2_3_mac.dmg

Danne

Tooltips are great!
The new white balance picker is even more great :)
Luts work very good. Tried applying some free downloaded luts, they worked. provided luts worked great. Being able to use three on top of each other. Nice.
I miss the red paus button a little.
Idea. Maybe a stop/abort button if you want to abort ongoing export instead of closing the whole app? Low priority suggestion.

A little clip exported with HDR tonemapping in 3x mode from a test roll I did when shooting some real estate.

Thanks a lot
/D

baldand

Quote from: Danne on August 26, 2014, 12:07:20 AM
Idea. Maybe a stop/abort button if you want to abort ongoing export instead of closing the whole app? Low priority suggestion.

@danne
All controls are still there on keys. From the README file:
Y - Pause or continue processing of the export queue. (this is the old "Record" icon)
X - Cancel current export job (and start next one in queue)
Z - Cancel all export jobs
Maybe I'll put some UI for the cancel ops in future version.

@all I also now added Windows version of 1.2.3
https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_2_3_win32.zip

claudio

Quote from: claudio on August 23, 2014, 05:00:46 PM
Hello,
I have a problem with the DNG files converted from MLV with MiRawViewer (1.2.2). When I open the DNG file in DaVinci Resolve Lite all the sequence is black. If I convert the same files in MOV the problem doesn't happen.
Thanks

Camera Canon 5d mark III ML
Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.8
I tried with Resolve 11 and everything is okay.
Thanks Baldand

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Danne on August 26, 2014, 12:07:20 AM
A little clip exported with HDR tonemapping in 3x mode from a test roll I did when shooting some real estate.

Thanks, now I know how to get to the dunny in high dynamic range.

Danne

Quote from: baldand on August 26, 2014, 07:13:04 AM
@danne
All controls are still there on keys. From the README file:
Y - Pause or continue processing of the export queue. (this is the old "Record" icon)
X - Cancel current export job (and start next one in queue)
Z - Cancel all export jobs
Maybe I'll put some UI for the cancel ops in future version.

Oh, even better. Cool.

swinxx

hello baland,

great thank you,..

i wonder if you have resolved  the highlight problem from issue #88 in the new 1.2.3 version?? :)

greets.

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on August 26, 2014, 10:07:21 AM
hello baland,

great thank you,..

i wonder if you have resolved  the highlight problem from issue #88 in the new 1.2.3 version?? :)

greets.

I made a change which may have resolved that. Would be great if you could test it and let me know if that still happens.

swinxx

@baland:
great. thank you.
i will test it tomorrow..
greets. sw

KurtAugust

Quote from: baldand on August 25, 2014, 11:02:19 PM
Test build... I made a Mac test build of the current source as version 1.2.3

https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_2_3_mac.dmg

Works great! (Well, some layering issues in the GUI, but as I understand there isn't much you can do about it. Perhaps just tell it to put the dialog windows behind the video, and it will show it correctly  :) )

Thank you very much!
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog