MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldand

Quote from: sgofferj on July 27, 2014, 09:56:28 PM
Ok, I'll test but I have to check first if that messes up my system. A number of things are running on openGL. No worries about the "trouble" - it's none. I like to test stuff and with the price going half this summer, I'll likely get myself a BMPCC for that $500... So my 6D would be for photos only then :).

As long as you just copy the lib from the build directory to the mlrawviewer source directory, and do not do "make install", there should be no impact on anything else.

N/A

MlRawViewer crashes whenever I try to export 7D .MLV or .RAW with stripe removal activated. Version 1.1.7, OSX 10.9.4, AMD Radeon HD 6770M. Crashes whether the MLV has sound or not, and resolution makes no difference. Funny thing is, rendering to .mov works just fine. Playback works just fine, and rendering without stripe removal activated works fine. I'll pm you the crash log.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

baldand

Quote from: N/A on July 29, 2014, 02:48:28 AM
MlRawViewer crashes whenever I try to export 7D .MLV or .RAW with stripe removal activated. Version 1.1.7, OSX 10.9.4, AMD Radeon HD 6770M. Crashes whether the MLV has sound or not, and resolution makes no difference. Funny thing is, rendering to .mov works just fine. Playback works just fine, and rendering without stripe removal activated works fine. I'll pm you the crash log.

Thanks N/A. I managed to reproduce this now. I think it's similar to the problem swinxx had - program crashes inside an OpenGL call in Apple's OpengGL library. I'll see if I can find some workaround for it.

N/A

Any way to replace or update the OpenGL library? I know OSX includes OpenGL but I'm sorta lost on the library part.

baldand

Quote from: N/A on July 30, 2014, 07:43:14 PM
Any way to replace or update the OpenGL library? I know OSX includes OpenGL but I'm sorta lost on the library part.

No. But I found a workaround that seems to stop it crashing, and pushed that to git already. It will be fixed in the next release.

N/A

zacshome

Hey dude, anyway to turn the mov conversion into small proxie files? 444 is all well and good but i want cdng for resolve then small .mov files to edit in premiere with so i can just xml back to resolve and grade. so small .mov option would be amazing...unless i misses something...i read since page 11 :)

Also, when grading in resolve with BMD color spacing etc.. is it best to use log space? i am used to using raw2cdng.

baldand

Quote from: zacshome on August 05, 2014, 11:01:25 PM
Hey dude, anyway to turn the mov conversion into small proxie files? 444 is all well and good but i want cdng for resolve then small .mov files to edit in premiere with so i can just xml back to resolve and grade. so small .mov option would be amazing...unless i misses something...i read since page 11 :)

Also, when grading in resolve with BMD color spacing etc.. is it best to use log space? i am used to using raw2cdng.

Hi. There is no option for low res proxies at the moment.

The colour mapping options options like Rec.709 and LOG only affect the MOV output, not DNG (which is what you should use to export to Resolve).

zacshome

Totally cool, my only issue now is getting the .mov files to link to my DNG files back in resolve. xml and edl are being a real pain. Any ideas?

oc_masta

When clicking around on the frame, why does it change the colour/tint of the video?
Should I be setting the grey point for WB when clicking at a point on the frame? If so, thats amazing but not sure yet?

ToS_Maverick

Quote from: baldand on August 06, 2014, 07:35:28 AM
Hi. There is no option for low res proxies at the moment.

I saw in the code that FFMPEG is executed with "-profile:4". No need for another symbol in the UI, but it would be really cool to switch between profiles or even the constant quantizer mode (maybe a config file?). I think ProRes 422 would sufficient for most cases...
http://transcoding.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/prores-ffmpeg/

Danne

Quote from: oc_masta on August 07, 2014, 11:44:04 AM
When clicking around on the frame, why does it change the colour/tint of the video?
Should I be setting the grey point for WB when clicking at a point on the frame? If so, thats amazing but not sure yet?

Read the whole thread. This app deserves it as a lot of many other contributions on this forum.
And yes. Whitebalance is only a click away. Amazing.

khayyamkhan

I love what the HDR option does to my footage. What is it actually doing to the footage?  I would like to recreate this effect in Resolve.

flostro

Quote from: ToS_Maverick on August 07, 2014, 02:12:25 PM
I saw in the code that FFMPEG is executed with "-profile:4". No need for another symbol in the UI, but it would be really cool to switch between profiles or even the constant quantizer mode (maybe a config file?). I think ProRes 422 would sufficient for most cases...
http://transcoding.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/prores-ffmpeg/

That would be great! Rawanizer had the option to write the ffmpeg code in a textbox or use presets, but config file would be good for mlraviewer.

I tried to modify the prores profile in the python source, but i don't know anything about compiling it to an executeble.

baldand

Quote from: khayyamkhan on August 07, 2014, 05:14:30 PM
I love what the HDR option does to my footage. What is it actually doing to the footage?  I would like to recreate this effect in Resolve.

It applies the simple "Reinhard" global tone map function x -> x / (1+x) which maps input from the range 0-inf to the range 0-1, i.e. it never clips. The brightness (exposure) multiplier can then be applied as much as you like to bring out the darker areas, and compress the brighter areas.

(Sorry, I've no idea how to achieve the same result in Resolve).

baldand

Quote from: flostro on August 07, 2014, 05:34:47 PM
That would be great! Rawanizer had the option to write the ffmpeg code in a textbox or use presets, but config file would be good for mlraviewer.

I tried to modify the prores profile in the python source, but i don't know anything about compiling it to an executeble.

Done: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/commits/845b561366761c351aadad057f99efd669179f74

Will be in the next release. This should allow you try to try different ProRes variants and bitrates (e.g. for proxies), as well as any other container or codec like H.264, or even JPG/PNG/TIFF output. Some examples are in the commit message.

In a later version I may take some of the best examples people make and offer them as standard options in the UI.

Jbowdach

Quote from: baldand on August 07, 2014, 08:58:49 PM
Done: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/commits/845b561366761c351aadad057f99efd669179f74

Will be in the next release. This should allow you try to try different ProRes variants and bitrates (e.g. for proxies), as well as any other container or codec like H.264, or even JPG/PNG/TIFF output. Some examples are in the commit message.

In a later version I may take some of the best examples people make and offer them as standard options in the UI.

Ridiculously awesome. Many thanks!!

Quick question: When you decode to DNG, are you using any type of standard decoding method? Im trying to compare it to raw2cdng decoding quality and see which is better and I was curious if you decoded to DNG ? Long story short, should I execpect any quality difference when decoding using methods?

Jbowdach

Quote from: zacshome on August 06, 2014, 07:59:00 AM
Totally cool, my only issue now is getting the .mov files to link to my DNG files back in resolve. xml and edl are being a real pain. Any ideas?

If the files are named the same as the DNG folders it should be quite easy to relink back in Resolve. Use an XML, not an edl as EDL only supports ONE track of video. The KEY is making sure the filenames are identical, ensuring a setting in resolve is set to assist using file\folder names, and ensure you uncheck import media, as you MUST have already imported your CDNG files before you import your XML. The below should assist

This should help: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11379.msg122149#msg122149

baldand

Quote from: Jbowdach on August 08, 2014, 02:00:38 AM
Quick question: When you decode to DNG, are you using any type of standard decoding method? Im trying to compare it to raw2cdng decoding quality and see which is better and I was curious if you decoded to DNG ? Long story short, should I execpect any quality difference when decoding using methods?

MlRawViewer has two different data paths for converting into DNG. In both cases a DNG container is created with tags extracted from the source file metadata.
1. When stripe reduction is NOT in use, the source raw data is copied and, if needed, padded to 16bit values with zero bits. In addition, (bad) pixels with zero value are hidden with surrounding data. This path should have very minimal impact on the data.
2. When stripe reduction IS in use, the data is loaded to the GPU and 3 shaders are run to estimate and correct any stripe patterns in the data due to different amplifier settings, as well as hot pixels. The result is written out as 16bit values. This path can touch all pixel values, but is intended not to cause an overall visible change in the image, other than reducing stripes and spots.

budafilms

Excelent Sofware for use in the set.
Congrats.

I cannot Export (C letter, doesn't happen).

I use with Mavericks 10.9.4. .MLV

Everything works like a charm except export.

Any Ideas?

baldand

Quote from: budafilms on August 08, 2014, 08:52:52 AM
Excelent Sofware for use in the set.
Congrats.

I cannot Export (C letter, doesn't happen).

I use with Mavericks 10.9.4. .MLV

Everything works like a charm except export.

Any Ideas?

Press Y, or click the red circle to start processing the export queue.

In the next version this will happen by default.

Jbowdach

Markus

Quote from: khayyamkhan on August 07, 2014, 05:14:30 PM

Set clip settings to "bmd film" in resolve and work from there. Also be sure to check "highlight recovery" box. Manipulate raw input settings and I would recommend using an s-curve.

Jbowdach

HDR is using an specific algorithm, it was discussed previously in this thread. Here is a quote opf wat its doing
It applies the simple "Reinhard" global tone map function x -> x / (1+x) which maps input from the range 0-inf to the range 0-1, i.e. it never clips. The brightness (exposure) multiplier can then be applied as much as you like to bring out the darker areas, and compress the brighter areas.

(Sorry, I've no idea how to achieve the same result in Resolve).