MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbytheriver

Thanks to all for your advice.

Further testing suggests the fault appears only on .RAW files of a certain res (1880 x 1058) and is fine on all .MLV files. The project I was working on was exclusively .RAW (from an early ML build ) which is why it was persisting.

Why though – I have no idea!

Thanks again for this great tool @Baldand

Tim

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

timbytheriver

@Badland Just a postscript on a possible bug...

I have an app called 'Memory Clean' which gives me stats on RAM usage and frees up unused RAM when needed. I've noticed that when I finish a session using ML Raw viewer and quit the app, the RAM gets 'stuck' as though the app is still running. If I then run the 'Memory Clean' app, the RAM returns to full.

I've checked Activity Monitor to see what process might be causing this but I can't see any direct reference to ML Raw viewer. Odd... but I though it might be useful to know.

Tim

Mac OSX 10.7.5
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

rking

Ive read a lot of the thread.  Are the adjustments that you can make within the program not applied to the .mov export?  I am not seeing adjustments show up there.

Also Im seeing a lot of hot red pixels in the exported mov, but not the preview.

ItsMeLenny

Hey baldand,

Tried to contact you on IRC, but time-zones and all, I guess it's easier to answer here, then other people can know the response also, if they don't already.

I believe mlrawviewer can handle DNGs, is this correct?
In addition, should it be able to handle DNG raw video from a blackmagic camera? (Turns out there's no a lot out there to view blackmagic raw files on earlier versions of mac (or probably on linux) (I'm on ubuntu, a friend is on mac)).
If mlrawviewer doesn't support it, and there's the possibility that it could, I'm trying to get my hands on a blackmagic file (from my friend), and I'll try to code something to handle it to push to the main repo.

baldand

Quote from: rking on July 11, 2014, 06:59:54 AM
Ive read a lot of the thread.  Are the adjustments that you can make within the program not applied to the .mov export?  I am not seeing adjustments show up there.

Also Im seeing a lot of hot red pixels in the exported mov, but not the preview.

What OS, GPU & version of the program are you using?

Everything in the MOV file files should look exactly as it does on screen when you turn on the high quality demosaicing (Q key or quality icon). All white balance, curve and brightness settings should be used.

The export uses the high quality demosaicing which shows much more detail than the preview. It's hard to say without seeing the material, but it's possible this is just making hot pixels more visible than the fast preview.

baldand

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on July 11, 2014, 08:07:34 AM
I believe mlrawviewer can handle DNGs, is this correct?
In addition, should it be able to handle DNG raw video from a blackmagic camera? (Turns out there's no a lot out there to view blackmagic raw files on earlier versions of mac (or probably on linux) (I'm on ubuntu, a friend is on mac)).
If mlrawviewer doesn't support it, and there's the possibility that it could, I'm trying to get my hands on a blackmagic file (from my friend), and I'll try to code something to handle it to push to the main repo.

Yes, some (C)DNG sequences can be played back the same as MLV or RAW files.

The current restrictions are:
- Must be uncompressed
- Must be 14bit or 16bit
- Probably others I don't know about.

The reality is it has only been tested with it's own files and some from programs such as RAWMagic or raw2cdng.

12 bit support should be added in future now that some people are using that as their intermediate format. That will be easy to do.

Compressed DNG reading (and writing!) would be a great feature to add also in future, but it will be more work. dcraw.c is probably a good starting point for the decompression code. 

I suspect Blackmagic support will need either one or both of 12bit and compressed support, and maybe some other small changes to handle, for example, linearisation.

I would be really happy to see Blackmagic files supported with contributions, or indeed any other sources of raw bayer video files such as Odyssey7 captures from C500 or FS700.

baldand

1.1.7 build needs testing

It would be great if a few people could try out 1.1.7 before I push it out more widely.

Mac: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_1_7_mac.dmg
Windows: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_1_7_win32.zip

1.1.7 is mainly a bug fix release. Main changes:

- Fix for coloured spots in dark areas of MOVs on Window+Nvidia
- Fix for magenta stripes in some sizes of frames
- Fix for white balance selection when stripe preprocessing in use
- Fix for infinite dialog loop when not providing an export folder
- Fix for default brightness of log output (it was 16 times too dark)
- Fix for misreading of CDNG frame rate
- Fix for framebuffer format (black screens) on Intel GPUs+Linux.
- Fix for crash when demosaicing some raw file
- Added icon for stripe reduction, and made stripe processing state persist

I've also changed my build environments for both Windows and Mac. It's possible this will cause some problems for some people, but I hope it won't.

Please let me know here if you have tried this version out, and if it worked ok, or if you saw some problems.

Thanks!

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: baldand on July 11, 2014, 11:28:50 AM
I would be really happy to see Blackmagic files supported with contributions, or indeed any other sources of raw bayer video files such as Odyssey7 captures from C500 or FS700.

I've asked my friend to send me a short (as short as possible, one second or the like) capture on his blackmagic pocket, when he gets around to it, although if the file size is still big I might just wait and get it directly from him on a flash drive (Australian internet is terrible), but once I do have that, if it's small enough to send I'll upload it somewhere.

The blackmagic site under tech specs for the pocket says "Lossless CinemaDNG RAW", so not incredibly helpful.

swinxx

hello baland.

i am on mac 10.9

here is my feedback:

- new icon is cool,
- when i open the prog, i can not see all icons, i have to resize it!
- then mouse pointer disappears when window size is changed.
- would it be possible to add tooltip mousover?
- when pressing w, the window where i can select the dir for export is behind the video window. perhaps you can make the window pop up in front of that window?
- is there a possibility to delete all jobs out of the mlrawviewer..?

all in all it looks really promising.

so when stripes correction is on, gpu processing is also on? right?
is it on when the icon is "stripes and cross"?
cause i exported 2 files and i think i can see stripes when the icon is stripes only and can not see them when the cross is seen too? is that right?

thank you so much for your effort. you are the best!!!

sw.

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on July 11, 2014, 02:33:32 PM
- new icon is cool,
- when i open the prog, i can not see all icons, i have to resize it!
- then mouse pointer disappears when window size is changed.
- would it be possible to add tooltip mousover?
- when pressing w, the window where i can select the dir for export is behind the video window. perhaps you can make the window pop up in front of that window?
- is there a possibility to delete all jobs out of the mlrawviewer..?
so when stripes correction is on, gpu processing is also on? right?
is it on when the icon is "stripes and cross"?
cause i exported 2 files and i think i can see stripes when the icon is stripes only and can not see them when the cross is seen too? is that right?

Thanks for the feedback.
Vote for tooltips here: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/47/tool-tips
You can cancel the current export job with X and all queued jobs with Z.
You got the stripes icon correct - the cross through the middle is supposed to mean that stripes are being removed.

Danne

Nice work! Too bad I,m sitting on my crappy intel hd 3000 card all july. Will test thoroughly When I get home in august. Best viewer is now even better

swinxx

hi baland!
ok, i voted for tooltips and hope that they will come in a further update.
everything else looks great. will test it the next days..

when using gpu processing is it also working with intel iris gpu? or is it turned off internally when the gpu is not supported?
thx

Danne

I noticed intel hd 4000 works fine but hd 3000 does not.

SoulChildPaul

Testing 1.1.7 on new Mac pro base model and I am getting constant crashes when trying to export dngs. Same files exported fine on 1.1.6.

baldand

Quote from: SoulChildPaul on July 13, 2014, 10:37:22 AM
Testing 1.1.7 on new Mac pro base model and I am getting constant crashes when trying to export dngs. Same files exported fine on 1.1.6.

Oh dear. Could you maybe collect a few more details:

• MLV or RAW files?
  • From what camera, frame rate & resolution, or does it happen with all kinds of files?
  • With sound or no sound?
  • OS version, GPU (I assume some kind of AMD)?
  • Does playback work without any problems?
  • Are you using the stripe correction (X icon over the stripes)

Maybe you can get a log file of the crash.
Open a terminal and run the program from the command line with this command:
/Applications/MlRawViewer.app/Contents/MacOS/mlrawviewer/
Make it crash, then it should leave behind a file "mlrawviewer.log". Please share that.
Alternatively, if OS X says anything about debug information when it crashes, please try to get a copy of that to share.

Finally, anyone else seeing similar problems when DNG exporting with the Mac build of 1.1.7?

Thanks!

SoulChildPaul

All seems to be working perfectly now after a restart, I am unable to get it to crash again. Great job! This is my go to app.

Am also able to run multiple instances.

5DanielMIII

Hi,

Thanks for a great app!

I have been converting something like a 100 MLV`s over the past 2 days and not one single crash.
Worked perfectly for me.

I am on a MacbookBook Pro Retina Late 2013, OSX 10.9.4
5D Mark III
I tried several builds from June, all OK.
1920x1080 OK
25fps OK
Sound enabled OK
Stripe OK
Playback OK, it was a little buggy once playing back from the memory card.
I restarted the program and closed all my 100 other programs in the background and transferred the files to my SSD and playback was smooth again.

That was just once, I can normally playback the mlv`s from my Lexar 64gb 160mb/s card and my Lexar USB 3 reader without problems.

Regards,
Daniel
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

baldand

@SoulChildPaul, @5DanielMIII thanks for all the info. Sounds like the Mac version is working quite ok after all - good to know.

morsafr

New Mac Pro here, no crash so far when converting to DNG with 1.1.7 version.

Thanks again for the great app!

swinxx

hello baland,

sorry but i have to inform you that my mlv (latest 4 july build / 5d mk3 / 23,976fps) files cause your program to crash.

tried to convert the files (the file structure is deep).
nearly every single conversion caused crashes.

my system is 10.9.3, mbp 13" retina late 2014

dont know why, sometimes it works, but most times not.
the 2nd problem is when a directory has a äöü inside, it does not open the file.

thx. re

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on July 14, 2014, 12:17:57 PM
hello baland,

sorry but i have to inform you that my mlv (latest 4 july build / 5d mk3 / 23,976fps) files cause your program to crash.

tried to convert the files (the file structure is deep).
nearly every single conversion caused crashes.

my system is 10.9.3, mbp 13" retina late 2014

dont know why, sometimes it works, but most times not.
the 2nd problem is when a directory has a äöü inside, it does not open the file.

thx. re

Is this DNG or MOV exporting?
What happens when it crashes - window just goes away?
Can you try to get an mlrawviewer.log file the same way I described for @SoulChildPaul yesterday?

swinxx

@baland:

i tried to export to dngs, and a window pops up when it crashes (see log file)

here are the log files: (mlrawviewer log file and crash report from mac)

http://we.tl/LRwEKu6GXD

greets. sw

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on July 14, 2014, 01:49:07 PM
@baland:

i tried to export to dngs, and a window pops up when it crashes (see log file)

here are the log files: (mlrawviewer log file and crash report from mac)

http://we.tl/LRwEKu6GXD

greets. sw

I got the crash rtf but the mlrawviewer.log file was empty. Was that what you see also?

If you run the program and just press W to bring up the export dir dialog, does it crash also then (not doing an export)?

swinxx

this was the exact log file.. sorry.
however, it crashes during the export of the dng files.

greets. sw

baldand

Quote from: swinxx on July 14, 2014, 03:39:02 PM
this was the exact log file.. sorry.
however, it crashes during the export of the dng files.

greets. sw

Hmm, from the Apple log, the crash seems to happen inside Apple's Intel HD5000 (Iris?) GPU driver. Maybe other people with Intel-GPU Macs & 10.9 are seeing similar problems?