MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chmee

the dng-support in premiere is a shame - its fixed on bmcc files. so best would be converting to 12bit/log (with the inverted table i linked) and leaving reconvertion to 16bit inside premiere with the same delinearizationtable..

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

baldand

Quote from: chmee on March 11, 2014, 09:27:08 PM
the dng-support in premiere is a shame - its fixed on bmcc files. so best would be converting to 12bit/log (with the inverted table i linked) and leaving reconvertion to 16bit inside premiere with the same delinearizationtable..

Actually it seemed to work fine for me with the changes I listed. There was no need for any actual data conversion apart from the cheap and lossless 14->16bit padding. The LinearizationTable I made was just integer values from 0 to 2^14-1, so, still linear. 

1%

I still get pink/dark/awful DNGs in premiere. It really sucks and destroys the point of raw. The AE-> to premiere looks much much better. Also I tried premiere CC and the AE-CS6 projects don't work there. So you need AECC for premiere CC.

chmee

@baldand
for me as well - make a test with (real) strong highlights, i get pinkish inside them. i mean really outside the normal white :) does your table behave stable?
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

1%

My dngs are coming out Canon EOS instead of canon EOS 7D. Also 2 files got stuck converting... I tried to run a bunch of MLrawviewers at once, bad idea.

Changing the tag with exiftool gui causes a lockup after a certain number of files, gah. Its > ~420 files, exiftool hangs, then gui hangs.

baldand

Quote from: 1% on March 11, 2014, 11:36:08 PM
My dngs are coming out Canon EOS instead of canon EOS 7D. Also 2 files got stuck converting... I tried to run a bunch of MLrawviewers at once, bad idea.

Changing the tag with exiftool gui causes a lockup after a certain number of files, gah. Its > ~420 files, exiftool hangs, then gui hangs.

Re the model, I have put the correct make/model writing into git (however I have a personal problem - most of my MLVs made with TL for 7D have "Failed to get properties." as the model name  :'(

I wouldn't recommend multiple DNG exports from different mlrawviewer instances at the same time unless they are all using different disks for both read and write (or if the read disks together would be much slower than the write disk).The operation is mostly disk I/O bound because it uses different threads for reading and writing. Because of that it should work best when the read & write disks are different. Of course if you are converting between 2 fast SSDs it might become CPU bound.

sarotaz

baldand can you integrate the code posted by escho here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9700.msg98302#msg98302 for dng extraction? This tool removes cold pixel usefull in Davinci Resolve workflow with some cameras (like 60D) affected by this problem.

1%

mlv to cdng showed the correct FPS and cam name. ml raw viewer cut it off at Canon EOS

kolumban

Very cool ,
:)
A light in the tunnel of handling MLV  files !
I hope you find a way  to make this beautiful piece  of software  able to make batch processing.
If there is a way to contribute  let me know

jose_ugs

@ baldand, could you add the keyboard keys functions to your first post please? somewhere at the end of your first post, for example :)... The way you have them in your Readme file(archive) gives a much easier view of which does what.

swinxx

And please a mouse fly over info bar.. With the keystroke and a short explanation whats what.. Thx

thisisentourage

I shot a video on the Canon 50D.
I played it off the cf reader and the playback was smooth.

Now that I took the files off the cf card and put them on a hard drive, the play back is slow, skipping, and lagging.

I Downloaded
Mlrawviewer
Ffmpeg
And the Python 2.7 code added on the 1st page...

Now, in lament terms, how do I get this functional?

U guys are all extremely knowledgeable based off what I'm reading in the forum.
I'm 4 months new to ML Software and 4 days in this forum.

So. Really do apologize if my inquiries come off appearing to sound basic.

Thank you everyone for your help.

frakas1

hi Guys,

I start to use mlraw viewer to export to .mov,its worked perfectly.
since yesterday,its impossible to export anymore,the program freeze or crashes.
In the meantime I changed the preset on camera,and installed some program on the mac,like raw2dng.Since it doesnt work I re-install Mlraw viewer but no better.
I use a macbook air last version,I was wondering if its something to do with CPU?
the files to convert are on the local SSD and I try from an USB3 HDD.
the export button sometimes is vivid red,sometimes I cant click it,any case nothing exports.
Also when I play the mlv,it freeze after 3-4 seconds...Any help is welcome,cheers!

baldand

Quote from: frakas1 on March 16, 2014, 06:16:34 PM
hi Guys,

I start to use mlraw viewer to export to .mov,its worked perfectly.
since yesterday,its impossible to export anymore,the program freeze or crashes.
In the meantime I changed the preset on camera,and installed some program on the mac,like raw2dng.Since it doesnt work I re-install Mlraw viewer but no better.
I use a macbook air last version,I was wondering if its something to do with CPU?
the files to convert are on the local SSD and I try from an USB3 HDD.
the export button sometimes is vivid red,sometimes I cant click it,any case nothing exports.
Also when I play the mlv,it freeze after 3-4 seconds...Any help is welcome,cheers!

If you are using 1.1.2, check your target directory is valid -> Press W key to bring up the target directory or choose a new one.
Also if you want MOV exports, make sure the "MOV" icon is displayed, not the "DNG" icon.

If nothing else works, you could try deleting the hidden directory ".mlrawviewer" in your home directory and see if that helps.

baldand

Quote from: thisisentourage on March 16, 2014, 12:51:26 AM
I shot a video on the Canon 50D.
I played it off the cf reader and the playback was smooth.

Now that I took the files off the cf card and put them on a hard drive, the play back is slow, skipping, and lagging.

It might help to have a few more details:
- What kind of computer you have (ago, CPU, GPU, memory, hard disk size & interface type - IDE or SATA)
- Is the card reader USB2 or USB3?
- What resolution and frame rate are you recording at?

It sounds as though your hard disk could be slow at reading for some reason. The needed read speed depends on the video resolution and frame rate, but if you have less than 50Mbyte/second reads speed, you can experience the symptoms you describe.

Another possibility could be too little RAM, e.g. causing the system to use swap files, though that seems less likely if it works from card reader ok.

baldand

Quote from: jose_ugs on March 15, 2014, 10:11:59 AM
@ baldand, could you add the keyboard keys functions to your first post please? somewhere at the end of your first post, for example :)... The way you have them in your Readme file(archive) gives a much easier view of which does what.

Done now.

StefanKeller.AC

ItsMeLenny

baldand

1.1.3 now available

• Now exports 16bit DNGs with per-frame metadata. Should directly import into PremierePro as well as Resolve/AE.
  • S key switches between different anamorphic squeeze ratios (viewing only)
  • MOV/DNG icon made clearer
  • Mark line red instead of white so it shows up in bright scenes

See top post: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165

DavidSh

Quote from: baldand on March 17, 2014, 09:20:58 PM
1.1.3 now available

• Now exports 16bit DNGs with per-frame metadata. Should directly import into PremierePro as well as Resolve/AE.

See top post: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165
As always... Great!
import well to pp (regular wb issue)
mouse cursor still disappear on mac

Thank you for this beautiful software...
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

MA Visuals

I just tried the new version 1.1.3 of MlRawViewer, exported a couple of DNG sequences, and then imported the DNG sequences into Premiere Pro CC.  Unfortunately, the highlights are pink, making footage unusable in Premiere unless there are no strong highlights in the footage.  I tried both MLV and RAW files and both had the same issue.  I can send you sample DNGs exhibiting this issue if you find it useful to your development.  You are soooo close to providing a post processing tool that allows working directly with the DNGs in Premiere.

baldand

Quote from: MA Visuals on March 17, 2014, 11:29:11 PM
I just tried the new version 1.1.3 of MlRawViewer, exported a couple of DNG sequences, and then imported the DNG sequences into Premiere Pro CC.  Unfortunately, the highlights are pink, making footage unusable in Premiere unless there are no strong highlights in the footage.  I tried both MLV and RAW files and both had the same issue.  I can send you sample DNGs exhibiting this issue if you find it useful to your development.  You are soooo close to providing a post processing tool that allows working directly with the DNGs in Premiere.

I know about the pink highlights. As I understand chmee is also seeing similar results with his raw2cdng and Premiere.

The same files works fine in ACR and Resolve. In an overexposed area (with at least one channel - usually green first - clipped) I see those tools reconstructing highlight detail as white levels. In MlRawViewer itself, I take a slightly different approach to try and recover some of the original colour in the highlight areas (though that depends on having the right white balance for the highlight).

Premiere appears to suffer a similar problem that MlRawViewer had before it had highlight recovery - the white balance colour correction is applied afterwards so the clipped channel(s) take on the wrong colour. This is usually pink/magenta if green was clipped. 

Reconstructing the raw data is the task of the tool reading the DNG files. In this case, MlRawViewer is not doing anything to the original raw bayer data apart from padding it with 2 zero high bits and writing it to a series of DNGs with the correct black and white levels, along with other meta data taken from the MLV file if available.

To me, it's appears the problem is with Premiere's highlight reconstruction and white balance. But since that's a tool you are paying money for, you shouldn't have any trouble raising the defect with the developer and getting it quickly fixed. Right? ;-)

MA Visuals

I always suspected that it would ultimately require Adobe to fix this on their end.  Thank you for your thoughtful explanation.  It seems the most practical method of post processing for Premiere users then would be then to export to ProRes using your Log curve, and then import into Premiere.  Well at least that will be my preferred workflow unless the pink highlight issue is eventually solved.  Just a few questions....

-Will the ProRes exports eventually support queuing just like DNGs? 
-Is the brightness control equivalent to an exposure control?
-Just wondering why there is no Tungsten white balance option.  Also, it may be too much to ask, but would it be possible to add a white balance eyedropper/picker such as found in ACR, etc. to make it easier to find the correct white balance?

Anyway, terrific progress on your tool.  So professionally developed and very efficient and refined.  Much respect.

sarotaz

Quote from: baldand on March 17, 2014, 09:20:58 PM
1.1.3 now available

GREAT JOB!!! this version resolves the bad pixel problem in Davinci Resolve importing (cdng) with some camera. (60D)
Thanks.  ;D

baldand

Quote from: sarotaz on March 18, 2014, 08:57:36 AM
GREAT JOB!!! this version resolves the bad pixel problem in Davinci Resolve importing (cdng) with some camera. (60D)
Thanks.  ;D

That's good to hear! There is a very simple dead pixel detection/hiding I put in a while ago when I was doing something with raw from a 60D. I'm glad it's still working.