Canon 7D new Firmware 2.0.5 / Magic Lantern could not be installed

Started by Eugene, December 12, 2013, 11:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eugene

Hi, today I updated my Canon 7D to the new firmware 2.0.5. Unfortunately, Magic Lantern could not more be used since the actual version (magiclantern_7D_203_Alpha2) was issued specifically for 7D firmware 2.0.3! My question: do you think a new version of the Magic Lantern could be soon available also for the new firmware 2.0.5 of Canon 7D? Best Regardas, Eugene

Proteaus

Hi Eugene,

I also updated my Canon 7D to version 2.0.5 firmware.  I tried to apply the ML 2.0.3 but was prompted if I want to update from '2.0.5 -> 2.0.3'

Uncertain if I should proceed, I decided to cancel the update.

Did you encounter an error when you updated or was the update automatically aborted?

I will wait for further developments on this item.

Thank you for starting the post.

Eugene

Hi Proteaus

I did first the update 2.0.3 to 2.0.5. After update, I tried to re-install my Magic Lantern. As usually, first on the Compact Flash card (CF) and after this, to start a fictive update again. Also, according to normal procedure. The problem was that as soon as I pressed the button "OK" (for fictive new firmware, in order to start Magic Lantern), the screen become black for ever! Nothing happened. This, two times. After that, I realize that the Magic Lantern for Canon 7D, clearly indicate as been valid only for firmware 2.0.3 since the name of the file is "eos7d-v203-win"! I was never prompted to back-update to 2.0.3! However, since the Canon 7D did not more worked, I must back-update, what, fortunately, was possible! This is a very important point since there are a lot of software which CANNOT be back-updated! In this moment I have 2.0.3 and ML works fine. Now, I would be very glad if somebody from Magic Lantern could inform the Canon 7D users if ML intends to issue a version for 2.0.5 firmware?

Best Regards, Eugene

Stedda

ML is intended to run with the specifically listed canon firmware. Why would you think you should be prompted to back-update after trying to load a .fir for the wrong version.

Any who most of the Devs are on vacation and won't be back until after the new year and generally don't answer questions or give timelines for ML compatibility for a firmware thats been available for less than a week.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/faq.html#q45
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

8string

Hi folks. Just wanted to throw my .02 in. I pulled out my 7D yesterday, and had an earlier version of the firmware installed (pre-2.0.3). There was no choice to go to 2.0.3 from Canon, so I upgraded to 2.0.5.  Very unfortunate to hear that it won't work (I tried it and yes, it won't work).  My question is, "is there a known way to downgrade firmware to 2.0.3?"

If not, I'll just add to the requests to see if the 2.0.5 capable version of ML can be done. I think it's a great use for the 7D, as I have a 5D also, and would rather use the 7D for the ML work.

Thanks! and have a great New Year!

thomas dam

Best Regards

Thomas

lwwyatt

Hey guys!

It took a second, but I found another (english) site to download 2.0.3

http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=292050&t=4&i=1

One click and done. Now lets see if ML works again.

Ledokol2014

Hi guys!
I have a problem with camera after inserting cf card with ML on it. The screen become black and nothing happened.
If switch on without card is not working as well. Only small display and AF still working. PC unable to see my camera now via usb.
Eugene, how did you fix it?

Walter Schulz

Remove battery, reinsert battery and start without card inserted. Results?

Ledokol2014

Walter Schulz

There is no thing as "no result". ;-)

Let's see:
Rear display doesn't show anything at bootup?

But top display is on? And AF working, too? Are you able to test if HDMI output is working? Are you able to connect your cam via USB and running EOS Utility?

Ciao, Walter

Ledokol2014

Rear display doesn't show anything at bootup, top display is on and I can adjust WB, iso ant other things on it by wheel. All outputs such as hdmi a/v and usb not working. sometime err 80 bliking, its fix by reinsert battery. All mods is working too. AF is fine but not able to shoot

Walter Schulz

"Err 80": Rear display showing this message, right?

Try this:
Remove both batteries. Yes, there is a small one in the battery compartment. Let the cam calm down (without batteries) for about an hour. Remove card (if not already done so). Reinsert batteries. Bootup cam.
Results?

If this doesn't help: Turn cam off. Remove battery (big one) again and reinsert. Connect cam and computer via USB. Are you able to use EOS Utility.

If not, we should have a case for our Camera Emergency Forum

Ciao
Walter

Ledokol2014

err 80 on top display.
I did remove both battery for 12 hours, doesn't help. Camera not visible on PC via usb(tried 2 PC and 2 usb cables), unable to use EOS Utility. Thats why i'm here  :-[
I found man with exactly the same problem.

Walter Schulz

That's beyond my humble skills. Take a seat at
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=45.0
Sounds like something a1ex might want to work with.

Ciao
Walter

chris_overseas

Ledokol2014: For now, take the card out of the camera (i.e. no ML, no bootflag issues). What happens if you power up the camera while in a custom mode C1, C2 (or even any of the other mode dial positions)? If any of those work, factory reset the camera through the Canon menu and try again.

Sounds a bit more serious than the usual problems we see here though. It's unusual to hear of the main screen not working but top LCD and some controls still OK.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Ledokol2014

I did try power up in all modes. Just bought new small battery, didn't help. I'd like to do factory reset, but not see the way to do it

Eugene

Reply to Ledokol2014, its post dated 21.March 2014. I did not solve the issue. I still have 2.0.3 firmware on Canon 7D. With this Firmware, MagicLantern do good job. With 2.0.5, no. In my opinion, this means: 2.0.3 with MagicLantern or 2.0.5 without ML! Regards, Eugene

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

mucher

I remember that, several months ago, one of the contributors posted some codes for 7D 2.0.5 in 7D RAW thread, it might need a simple recompilation, but the post sank very deep later.

Pelican

Quote from: mucher on March 28, 2014, 12:56:47 PM
I remember that, several months ago, one of the contributors posted some codes for 7D 2.0.5 in 7D RAW thread, it might need a simple recompilation, but the post sank very deep later.
If you want to continue the port: https://bitbucket.org/Pelican/7d.205/commits/all
The compiled autoexec.bin freezes on the camera.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

mucher

Quote from: Pelican on March 28, 2014, 01:20:31 PM
If you want to continue the port: https://bitbucket.org/Pelican/7d.205/commits/all
The compiled autoexec.bin freezes on the camera.

Too bad to hear that, I really wish that I could work on codes, but I don't think that I have possessed enough skills to be able to do that, so my fingers are crossed.