Take A Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 For APS-C to Full-Frame!!!

Started by bluebit25, December 05, 2013, 10:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebit25

I remember reading that the 5D3 doesn't capture the entire sensor and that you can change the recording size of the sensor. Would it be possible to take a Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 that's made for APS-C sensors, put it on a 5D3 full-frame and have magic lantern capture a smaller area of the sensor?

dmilligan

It depends, maybe, maybe if you mod the lens, or maybe no way at all. The mirror for a FF is obviously larger, this means it swings out more. EF-S lenses tend to protrude back into the camera body more, that means if you used an EF-S lens on a FF, the mirror might hit the lens itself, which would obviously be very bad. I think some ppl use the 10-22 on FF, but I think you have to mod the lens or something, and you have to be very careful not to use a focal length longer than 16mm or the mirror will hit the lens. Somebody who has done this could probably tell you more, IDK if there is anybody in this forum that has. You might compare how far the back of the lens sticks out past the edge of the mount to that of a normal EF lens (if you have one)

ilguercio

The Sigma is not an EF-S lens.
Only the Canon lenses touch the mirror because they have a baffle that purposely put there to prevent their mounting on FF cameras,
People then remove it (as with the 10-22) and use it on APS-H or FF anyway.
So yes, you should be able to mount the 50-150 to the 5DIII, then crop in post.
Easy.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

dmilligan

Quote from: ilguercio on December 06, 2013, 01:11:58 AM
Only the Canon lenses touch the mirror because they have a baffle that purposely put there to prevent their mounting on FF cameras,

I was under the impression that Canon actually utilized this small amount of extra space to move glass close to the sensor (allowing a slight optimization of the optical design). Looking at my 10-22 this seems to be the case. If you are zoomed all the way out, the glass sticks out as far as the baffle. It is not just to prevent mounting on FF.  I guess none of the 3rd party manufacturers take advantage of this space in their optical designs.

1%

For the 6D all of the EF lenses fit.. EFS does not. After market lenses even APS-C ones should fit though... the tokina 50-150 and 11-16 both fit the FF with a big vignette.

ilguercio

Quote from: dmilligan on December 06, 2013, 03:19:44 AM
I was under the impression that Canon actually utilized this small amount of extra space to move glass close to the sensor (allowing a slight optimization of the optical design). Looking at my 10-22 this seems to be the case. If you are zoomed all the way out, the glass sticks out as far as the baffle. It is not just to prevent mounting on FF.  I guess none of the 3rd party manufacturers take advantage of this space in their optical designs.
Yes, hence why i am saying it's only the EF-S lens series that is purposely made for APS-C cameras.
Indeed, people have removed that baffle at the back of the lens and lenses like the 10-22 can only be used up to 16mm. Anything past that will touch the mirror when shooting stills.
So, finally, you can actually use third party lenses that are designed for APS-C but you have to deal with less coverage of course.
Not worth for me (i only buy FF glass anyway) but someone might want to experiment a bit.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

bouncyball

I tried baffle removed EF-S 10-22 and EF-S 17-55 on 5d3. I love fast 17-55 for IQ and IS.

1st usable from 14mm with severe vignette and unrecoverable CA in corners but center is ok.
2nd covers only constant diameter circle for the whole zoom range.

They're just not designed for FF.

However I've successfully used both in crop mode raw video. Especially 10-22 (10mm) but with the risk to damage mirror (range 10-12mm) if LV would eventually shut down.

In general I do not recommend using ef-s glass on FF.

bb

heavygrafix

the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC is working fine, u´ll get the bull-eye-effect in FF, but using crop-mode its fine. 1080 is pretty good. 2,5K starts of vignetting. But for 300$ it´s a good sharp lens for the 17mm to normal 51mm. Since you need wide-angle lenses in crop-mode. next weeks i´ll test out a 8mm canon lens, to probably gain 24mm, but i´am pretty sure the distortion is to heavy even in den middle of this fisheye frame. maybe its correctable, may not.
5D Mark III, SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC, KB 1000x 64Gb, KB 1050x 128GB