ACR vs Resolve overexposure handling. Pink anomilies with ACR (MLV)

Started by Andy600, December 05, 2013, 01:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Been having an issue with how ACR handles over exposure (or possibly over saturation?) on some shots. MLV files shot on a 50D, dumped to DNG.

Here's an example where red taillights can go pink with ACR (v8):

ACR (Visionlog - only WB and exposure adjusted) Color with Colorista in AE CS6

Resolve (V10.0.1)

I could obviously just use Resolve or use a secondary to recolor the pinks in AE but want to know what the cause is? It's only happening in the red channel (I think).

Shot on 50D.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

a1ex

Overflow in their processing routines. The gradient test image I've posted in the picture style thread can be used for diagnosing this.

Can you render it in Resolve? or you need a smaller version?

Andy600

Actually, just found the problem. It's the VisionLog DCP in ACR

I swapped it for a Neutral DCP (haven't graded this)

I'll render your gradient test and post results. Might be useful for other stuff.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

@a1ex - processed your gradient in Resolve (had to reduce the size to 2k). Converted Cr2 to DNG using Adobe converter.

I've included various TIFFs at different raw gamma and colourspace that Resolve lets you choose plus also included a TIFF from ACR with the VisionLog LUT applied (-2.3 stops exp to bring the highlights down just below clipping).

http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/54140529/file.html 3mb but will be about 200mb decompressed.