Outer Space with the help of ML

Started by calypsob, November 14, 2013, 08:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calypsob

I primarily use ML in the field to find stars in live view through a telescope while using a narrowband filter, narrow band filters cut out a TON of light so without exposure gain for live view it would be nearly impossible for me to find and locate stars.  Another feature I use alot is the intravalometer for capturing meteors during meteor showers.  Oh and you cannot live without the Dark Red overlay setting, saves your night vision!  ML rules out under the dark skies.  Some of these shots are through my telescope with the T2i and others are static on a regular tripod with both T2i and T3i, T2i is full spectrum.

veil 3 by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr

this one is not complete, I still need to add alot of frames to reduce the noise

Untitled by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr

MILKYWAY BAHAMAS PANO RAINBOW SHAPE by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr

Gemenid Meteor Shower December 2012 by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr

fullspectrum milky way by LMNO Sunset Deluxe, on Flickr 
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

falkor

arrinkiiii

reddeercity

calypsob

Full spectrum T2i
T3i

kbeecher

Awesome Photos! what settings did you use? and was there any light polution where you were?

calypsob

I just wanted to add some more to this post.  I tell you ML is worth its weight in Gold for astrophotography and I commonly suggest ML supported Canon bodies to entry level astrophotographers even if they are noiser than the competition.  With a high quality german equatorial mount I am able to image without a laptop anymore, which for me lifts a huge burden.  I use ML for several things when I acquire data on a deep sky object.  First Live view Gain and FPS override allow me to use live view to focus and find my targets in the sky.  When you get FPS override dialed in, it is fantastic for finding stars and also focusing with a bahtinov mask.  I use the ML intervalometer for acquisition of light, dark, flat, and bias frames. I do have to stop magic lantern every so often to manually dither the equatorial mount.  I also use raw histogram, though I am not convinced that I am reading the iamge correctly sometimes, I have gone back to lifting the shadows 1/3 off the back of the histogram in jpeg preview. 

Here are some of my more recent images.  I use several cameras, a t3i, t2i, and 60d.  The t2i is modded for full spectrum, and the 60d is debayered monochrome and also full spectrum.  The 60d is used to generate independent luminance data which is later applied to color data capture by the T2i in order to bring out more resolution.  The T3i is unmodded.  All 3 use ML as their control platform.  I typically use the 60d and 550d in tandem along with a pair of matching Samyang 135mm F2 lenses.  These work great wide open at F2.  I also commonly use a pair of older pentax k 50mm f1.7 lenses stopped to F4. I also commonly use clip in filters designed by Astronomik, primarily on the full spectrum bodies. Most of my images list a full acquisition description in flickr if you are wondering how I acquired the data.

NGC 7023 Iris Nebula and LDN1148 by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr

Barnard's E B142-143 Dark Nebula "process ver. 2" by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr

North American Nebula NGC7000 by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr

The Markarians Chain and it's Galactic Neighbors by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr

RGB version M81 M82 integrated flux nebula #Explored by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr

M45 and California by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr

Andromeda and Triangulum and the Intrastellar IFN by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr

Orion and Horsehead V.II by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr

Witch Head Nebula IC2118  process Version III by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

g3gg0

wow!
really impressive shots :)

and this shot in germany? nice.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

calypsob

Quote from: g3gg0 on September 27, 2017, 07:17:15 PM
wow!
really impressive shots :)

and this shot in germany? nice.

Thanks! sorry for the confusion, these were shot on the blue ridge parkway outside of Roanoke Virginia.  The platform taht I use to track the sky is a GEM German equatorial mount https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_mount
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

The_bald_guy

I can't believe the shots you are pulling out of a T2i. Bravo, nice technique and hard work.

maxcompose

If you like my photo, please visit my website and my blog:
https://www.maxcompose.com
https://www.maxcompose.com/blog

maxcompose

If you like my photo, please visit my website and my blog:
https://www.maxcompose.com
https://www.maxcompose.com/blog

Kharak

This should be on the front page of ML.
once you go raw you never go back